Props Focus rifle build (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satchmo III

Word up four-oh-fifth. This thread will contain updates and details pertaining to the creation of a focus rifle.

I've recently taken to the weapon and decided to have a go at building one. I'm going to be working on this on and off but am setting a deadline to complete it before the end of this month (August). Updates will be provided as work plays out.

The model I'm using was created by me. If interested in using it please check it, and a few other choice submissions, out at my modeling portfolio thread (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III)).

WEEK #1.1 PROGRESS...

The paper took between 12 and 14 hours to assemble. It wasn't terribly difficult and skew, although present, is minimal. I started assembly at the muzzle and worked back to the butt.

focus11.jpg

The general build plan is to use fiberglass resin and rondo to harden the model and bondo for the bulk of the shaping/detailing. If/when I get it to a point where I'm satisfied with it I intend to mold it (but we'll get there when we get there).

Thanks for checking out the initial post. Any and all feedback throughout the build will be welcomed and appreciated. Keep it tight, Nobles!

Satchmo, if you are going to make a mold of this or any of your other wonderul models, may I suggest using a gysum based drywall mud for the detailing. It's incredibaly lightweight, it sands really fine(very easily) and its softer than bondo (but still hard enought ot hold up a wall). what this means is that you dont have to always use sanding equipment (ie. dremel,electric sander) to sand the entire prop. you could use a pencil or a paperclip to quickly and effectively scratch mark some of the finer details. This method also works extremely well if you do not have a sander at all. You can detail while it is wet and let you marks harden as it drys, but I like to let it dry a bit before i do anything at all. Best part is that most of them are water based which means that they dry fast and wash out of your clothing. you just have to spray it with a sealer/or gloss paint before you apply the mold making material.

I would like to try putting a light coat resin over the sanded mud and see how that holds up for non mold making application. I imagine that the gypsum would soak the resin right up and add strength.

YOU CAN GET IT @ walmart, lowes, home depot, etc. It's usually in the drywall section or the wall repare section. its relatively cheap ($3-$4 /gal. or $12-$15 /5gal) and you dont have to mix with a hardener.
side note: I have not done this with vinyl wall patching but it may be worth a shot because some of the vinyl versions have a pink to white drying pigment that lets you know when it is completely dry

I patiently await this beautiful creature's molding. Unbelievable job on both the model, and the pep work so far

WEEK #1.2 PROGRESS...

Not that it looks drastically different but, primary resin was applied to the exterior of the model today. It's pert stiff (...) but I'm looking forward to getting rondo rolled around the interior.

focus12.jpg

The small hemisphere is for a test relating to the use of liquid plastic. Thanks for your interest, everyone!

this is so insanely awesome.
that's all i can say. i'm so lost for words....

Thanks, man! I hope I can keep you speechless for the rest of build (lol).

...I suggest using a gy(p)sum based drywall mud for the detailing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know that drywall compound would be good for building things up but I could definitely see it's use as a filler. I think I would want to maintain the original in addition to casts though, so bondo's permanence is attractive in this regard.

Satchmo, that weapon is down right beautiful!

What is the finished gun's length if I may ask?

Thanks, ACDCrockr209...the tape reads about 35 inches.

I patiently await this beautiful creature's molding. Unbelievable job on both the model, and the pep work so far

Thanks, Pipinacan!

hey mind if i borrow it i want to laser my brother to hell

You are new, but I am going to assume that you know it dosent work.

I laughed.

This looks pretty amazing. I've never been a fan of the Focus Rifle myself, but this is sweet! I've been impressed by all of your builds so far Satchmo.

WEEK #1.3 PROGRESS...

Any Dave Brubeck fans out there?

I completed a couple hours of work with Blue RONDO a la Turk today. I began by cutting three holes into the model (one at the read, one at the middle, and one at the front) into which I poured rondo (at a 1:2 mixture of bondo to resin). I poured three times, each with about 12 ounces of the rondo mixture.

After each pour I taped the holes with painter's tape so the rondo would not leak as I rotated the model in order to coat its interior. After the third (last) pour I made sure the rondo mixture coated where I had taped so that after it cured it would patch the holes.

focus14.jpg

focus13.jpg

With the day's work complete, nothing looks different than when it began...but the model is solid. It's difficult to tell unless you're looking closely down the top of the barrel but there are parts that slightly skew one way or the other. I should be able to rectify things during shaping/sanding.

Shaping/sanding will have to wait until Saturday at the earliest. Since most of the shape is captured in the pepakura I should mostly only need to smooth the surfaces out so I'm hoping it'll only take a few bondo sessions to complete this phase.

I intended to work on detailing the Mark V(b) that I have going but didn't really have time before the light started to fade this evening. I like how the helmet looks sitting with the rifle.

This looks pretty amazing. I've never been a fan of the Focus Rifle myself, but this is sweet! I've been impressed by all of your builds so far Satchmo.

Thanks, PsHWilliam043! I haven't always liked the weapon myself but it has grown on me.

Excellent progress on this! I was going to make a model of the focus rifle, but I didn't know such a good one was already out there :) Great job on the model and good luck with the detailing process!

This is great! I love the model you made, I may have to take a stab at this after I finish my Mk VI build! I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Any thoughts on paint yet, or are you just focused on getting it to look good (not that that's a huge challenge at this point)?

I like many of you never seem to use the focus rifle in-game (I just started useing it on Legendary, it works quite well) but dam does it look cool.

I love the model, you have a great start on it and cant wait to see the detail work. I would start one of my own if I wasn't heading off to college in two weeks.

This is awesome! I love seeing rare projects being tackled, and this is the first Focus Rifle I've seen! Can't wait to see this finished.

The Focus Rifle could have been so much more in Reach. It was perfect in the Beta, but it got nerfed in the release version. Combined with the fact that it doesn't show up much on maps (even in Elite Slayer), and you've got a great gun not living up to it's potential. I used to love microwaving people in the Beta with it! Now the kill time is too long.

wow this looks freakin awesome man, keep up the great work
btw i love your files man, tha=ey are awesome and also the N6 helmet looks great =D

impatiently awaiting an update lol

Yeah, tell me about it...
I NEED MY FIX! c'mon, dont hold out on a brother!

I am in agreeance...

Hehyo fellows. Sorry for the lack of updates, unfortunately for the sake of this build I've been waylaid working on other (modeling) projects. I need to go out of town near the end of this week for a couple of days but am hoping to work on the focus rifle this weekend. Thanks for the encouragement to get back at it!

Excellent progress on this! I was going to make a model of the focus rifle, but I didn't know such a good one was already out there :) Great job on the model and good luck with the detailing process!

Thanks, Sky Dragon! If you're still looking for some Covie weapons to model I know people want to see the concussion rifle and the plasma repeater (I may work on these later myself but if you want to take a stab at one or both please do).

This is great! I love the model you made, I may have to take a stab at this after I finish my Mk VI build! I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Any thoughts on paint yet, or are you just focused on getting it to look good (not that that's a huge challenge at this point)?

Thanks carpathiavh99. My brother built your magnum model and it looks great too. I haven't thought about paint really at all...other than I'd like to match the in-game model's color as much as possible.

I like many of you never seem to use the focus rifle in-game (I just started useing it on Legendary, it works quite well) but dam does it look cool.

I love the model, you have a great start on it and cant wait to see the detail work. I would start one of my own if I wasn't heading off to college in two weeks.

Maybe, start one at college? Good luck with that adventure, just starting or just returning?

Great progress, Satchmo!

Can't wait for the next update, buddy!

Thanks, man. As stated above, lo siento on the lack of updates...how's that needler rifle coming?

This is awesome! I love seeing rare projects being tackled, and this is the first Focus Rifle I've seen! Can't wait to see this finished.

The Focus Rifle could have been so much more in Reach. It was perfect in the Beta, but it got nerfed in the release version. Combined with the fact that it doesn't show up much on maps (even in Elite Slayer), and you've got a great gun not living up to it's potential. I used to love microwaving people in the Beta with it! Now the kill time is too long.

Thanks, Spitfire22V. I agree with you on the weapon's relative scarcity. I never played the beta but with how you describe the focus rifle's lethality in it I wish I had, muhahaha.

wow this looks freakin awesome man, keep up the great work
btw i love your files man, tha=ey are awesome and also the N6 helmet looks great =D

Thanks, Road Kill...I've been trying to add new models as much as possible. Also thanks for the N6 helmet shout-out, truth told that's another project that's extended past its planned finish date (oh well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back