Turbo93's halo reach armor build, pics! WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update, Helmet and combat knife!

Finally some updates on the Commando helm. I've put about 2 thick layers of rondo in it, so it's pretty sturdy! well enough to put bondo on. The forehead mounting rail thingy was made by the material I mentioned in my previous post! the only tool I used was a x-acto knife and some sand paper. The grey coating on the helmet is some sort of body filler on a spray can, very nice stuff ! I also put one layer of bondo on today to certain areas, It's not much but I like to go slow.
And as I waited for the bondo to dry, I started making the Combat knife, and I came pretty far.
here is some pics.

DSC07747.jpg

(no bondo on the helmet at this stage)
DSC07741.jpg

DSC07715.jpg

DSC07765.jpg

DSC07763.jpg

DSC07764.jpg

Combat knife
DSC07750.jpg

DSC07757.jpg

DSC07770.jpg

I do have much more pictures, so If you wanna see more just visist my photobucket album : http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/Martin_Lillsater/Halo props/

Hope you like it, over and out!

I'm actually planning on molding this helmet when it's done. It would be the first time I ever mold, but I've got a ton of work before I can mold it!

This is a awesome build, I really like the customized helmet, I always wanted to do something like that. mix and match kinda thing, I had * helmets and i would literally just stare at them thinkin of combinations.

This is a awesome build, I really like the customized helmet, I always wanted to do something like that. mix and match kinda thing, I had * helmets and i would literally just stare at them thinkin of combinations.

Thank you Dh748, I really appreciate it ! but I'm afraid that the customized EVA will have to wait.. I'm putting all of my efforts into the commando helmet right now. Yeah it's a fun thing to do, you can come up with very cool results. Mine wasn't the best one but maybe that will lead to something better down the road.. lol. Let me know if you come up with any cool ideas !

The commando is coming along. Starting to look beast. I like your take on the top detail. Awesome work!

-Tony

p.s. check your PM!

The commando is coming along. Starting to look beast. I like your take on the top detail. Awesome work!

-Tony

p.s. check your PM!

Thanks Tony, well I have put on some more bondo to certain areas since my last update but unfortunately, I got sick about 2 days ago.. so I haven't been able to work on it.

I did write and reply a message to you, but I'm not sure if it was sent, please let me know if you didn't get it and I will send a new one!

It has been a very long time since I last updated this build.. The reason why? All I can say is that a lot of things happened in my life and I've had a hard time.
Now I'm finally back on track again, feeling better than ever!

The Commando helmet is still under progress and I plan to finish it as soon as possible!
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to redo and make the rest of the armor.
Maybe I should rename the thread and just concentrate on the helmet.
Please be understanding and I will try my best to finish this Commando.

A little update:
bild.jpg
[/IMG]
Over and out
Martin.

--Thanks vidofnir234!

Small update: Bicep/shoulder armor has now been repepped since I somehow lost the old ones.
Finally I have put together a new chest piece that fits perfectly.

Other than that I'm gonna get some work done toninght, probably I'll start pepping the thigh pieces!

Here's a few pictures of the proggres:
Just to give you guys an idea about the scale

bild1.jpg

bild.jpg

Cheers!

Armor update

Forgot to mention that I have changed my mind. I'm making the full set of armor instead of just the helmet. I'm thinking of doing one piece at a time. It's easier for me to keep things organized this way, since I can put more effort into each armor piece. And I don't have to deal with a bunch of incomplete armor parts laying around.

The Torso is now under progress. It has been resined and I will probably put a few layers of rondo in it tomorrow. when that is done, I'm gonna try to use an expanding foam for added reinforcement.

Here's a picture of the new resined chest:
reachtorso.jpg

Over and out!

Armor update: Chest armor

-- Update --

Chest armor is finally hardened. Did something new that I've never tried before. After the resin and 2 thick layers of rondo, I injected an expanding foam. It worked very well, the foam filled every cavity surprisingly good. No warping what so ever!
Here's some pics
bild-2.jpg

bild-3.jpg

This metod was very cheap too, since two cans only cost me about 10 USD.

The Chest is now rigid enough to start detailing. First of all this piece is not meant to be worn. I'll use this as a master for making a mold.

To add details and smooth out the surfaces I'm thinking of using pieces of styrene.
I'll print out the Mark V foam templates and trace them on styrene sheets, cut the pieces and then glue them on.

If anyone have any advice about working with styrene, please share!
I think this is all for now. Next update will be when I get the sheets of styrene I've ordered.

Feel free to ask questions!

---Martin----

wow I always wondered if that method of using expanding foam would work!! Keep us posted if it stays strong and works out well for you! Also everything looks great

-- Armor update (Pic heavy)--

Today I got the styrene sheets I ordered last friday!
Detailing of the chest armor is now under progress. I'm very happy with the material, really easy to work with.

Here's some pics of what I've done so far:
WP_000009.jpg

WP_000012.jpg

WP_000016.jpg

WP_000017.jpg

WP_000022.jpg

WP_000023.jpg

WP_000024.jpg

Still pretty rough but when the whole piece is covered I plan to smooth out the edges and imperfections by sanding and then go over the areas with Spot putty.

The expanding foam I used for hardening works great. Chest piece is sturdy and stays in shape!! Another good thing is that the styrene parts actually adds additional support.

That's it for now! More to come soon..
Over and out
Martin.

--Amor update--

Thanks guys!

Went off and picked up more glue sticks since I ran out of them yesterday... After that, I managed to get some more detail work done.
WP_000032.jpg

WP_000040.jpg

WP_000038.jpg

WP_000037.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back