Sangheili ranger build (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satchmo III

Hail 405th!

This thread will be used to document the creation of a Sangheili ranger suit a la Reach.

There will be no defined timeline for this build. Updates will be provided as work progresses. A tentative completion date is set at whenever Halo 4 is released (though I hope to have it completed sooner).

Generally the build will consist of the following:
1) Helmet utilizing fiberglass and custom face-shield.
2) Armor utilizing foam (maybe fiberglass).
3) Under-suit utilizing fabric.
4) Hock ankle apparatus utilizing wood and miscellaneous hardware.

Pepakura files for the armor pieces are located at the link below. The files' creator is kind of a jerk (jajaja).

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32448-Model-portfolio-(Satchmo-III)

The remainder of this first post contains detail relating to the make-up of the hock ankle apparatus. This is a first version of the apparatus based on a couple of screen-shots from Reach using reference images of commercial products (google digilegs) and a nifty DIY guide by Gryphern and company (http://www.lulu.com/product/file-do...gContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/1).

1A.jpg

The first version was constructed in about four hours. All material was purchased at Home Depot for around $35 (excluding tools and some scrap foam). I didn't use one during the build but I may post a detailed write-up at a later time.

Primary material is wood (not sure on the type but treated for exterior use). Each ankle is made up of one piece as base, one piece as inclined sole, and two angle support pieces. Wood-screws hold the pieces together.

1B.jpg

1C.jpg

A pair of old running shoes are used for feet support. The shoes are rigidly attached to the inclined sole pieces with two wood-screws each with washers to distribute pressure. I removed the shoes' inserts before drilling and reinserted them after....works pretty well.

1D.jpg

Smaller screws were used to attach fatigue foam to the bottoms of the base pieces to add scratch-protection and grip.

1E.jpg

While the shoes with the wood is enough to walk around in, muscle fatigue sets in fairly quickly. To aid with this, shin/ankle support is added. The supports basically consist of hardware that utilizes bungie (jajaja) cords to pull the shin upright. I won't go into great detail describing the process here but please see the following images.

The shin/ankle "bone"...

1F.jpg

1G.jpg

The shin/ankle "muscle"...

1H.jpg

A hinged-piece added at the front of each apparatus will serve as the toe.

1I.jpg

A short video of the first version in action follows. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the operation. I think the design can be slimmed down a bit but they are light and allow for easy balance. I was able to achieve a trot speed with them and flexible walking isn't very difficult at all. Even with the shin/ankle support, atypically used muscles do get a pretty good workout though.

th_Elitelegsmarkitest1a.jpg

Thanks for checking out the first entry in what I am hoping will be a successful build.

First off... Holy crap, this is awesome! I can tell this is going to be an awesome build. I like how you did you stilts with the flexing rope/cord, and how it allows you to bend at the "ankle" of the elite, very creative, and it looks very cool when you walk. They also look like a blast to walk in, lol. (Moon shoes!!). I've thought of doing an elite build myself once in a blue moon, but I am always stumped when I think about how I'll do the skin/muscle, how are you going to do that?

Anyways, this will be awesome to see complete and you'll have a cool focus rifle to go with it.

Keep up the great work!

DUDE!

That is some awesome work your doing there! It's really inventive how you worked those stilts out, and I cant wait to see whats coming next.

Keep up the great work man!

First off... Holy crap, this is awesome! I can tell this is going to be an awesome build. I like how you did you stilts with the flexing rope/cord, and how it allows you to bend at the "ankle" of the elite, very creative, and it looks very cool when you walk. They also look like a blast to walk in, lol. (Moon shoes!!). I've thought of doing an elite build myself once in a blue moon, but I am always stumped when I think about how I'll do the skin/muscle, how are you going to do that?

Anyways, this will be awesome to see complete and you'll have a cool focus rifle to go with it.

Keep up the great work!

i second this.

I am very impressed with your ingenuity. I can't wait how this turns out. However, I have one concern. I've work with some simple woodwork and I can tell that the metal braces may not be strong enough to support your full weight with just a single screw. Also the sole is only supported by 6 screws. Unless you put some wood glue, the screws may likely to split over time.

Thanks for the response guys!

...I am always stumped when I think about how I'll do the skin/muscle, how are you going to do that?

Keep up the great work!

I'm not entirely set on the skin yet. The Elites do wear under-suits that cover most of their bodies though that aren't entirely dissimilar from the Spartan under-suit. It's something to that will be tackled down the line.

The focus rifle...I'm trying to get all the projects working in tandem.

I've work with some simple woodwork and I can tell that the metal braces may not be strong enough to support your full weight with just a single screw. Also the sole is only supported by 6 screws. Unless you put some wood glue, the screws may likely to split over time.

The metal doesn't support any weight. The screws at the bottom serve as pivot points for the metal arm, which gets pulled back from the top. A bit of force is put on the screws since the bungie cords also pull down from the top but I'm not too concerned about it.

Thank you for the suggestion about the wood-glue...it's something that I thought about and will definitely be used before all is said and done (this go around was something of a test).

did you get the stilits idea from underworld, i saw something like it in the special features, by the way i'd build a brace around the shoes in case in the off chance the sole rips u don't slip

just something i noticed is that you may want to add a little more heel at the bottom. you kept rocking back and i think another couple inches would do some good

did you get the stilits idea from underworld, i saw something like it in the special features, by the way i'd build a brace around the shoes in case in the off chance the sole rips u don't slip

Thank you for your concern. I more or less got ideas from the places I mentioned near the beginning of post #1.

just something i noticed is that you may want to add a little more heel at the bottom. you kept rocking back and i think another couple inches would do some good

Thanks for the suggestion, I noticed that rock also (moreso when I played back the video than when I was walking around). I'm kind of okay with the rocking but am considering curving the bottom up somewhat to allow for more of a roll-step (I think this will allow for a more fluid, natural walking style). My concern with adding more (flat) inches to the back is that I don't want the walk to start getting too cloddy or Frankenstein-ish.

This is genius at one of its highest points! I have seen others try to imitate the leg anatomy, but you do it the best of all! I can't wait to see the rest!

Keep up the great work!

I very much third this! Elites are teh shiz, it's gonna be really fun to watch this!

Keep up the great work!

I can fourth things, right? Well, I am anyways. What you have so far is awesome, and that alone will make your suit stand out above the rest. I don't see many Elite suits, and the ones out there aren't as good as I wish they were, but I have a feeling yours will be super-special-chocolaty-fudge-coated-awesome.

can not wait to see the finished project, id check out zonbi's builds as she has some ideas for an undersuit that could work really well here

Hey man, I would have commented earlier, but the internet is down at my crib. I love the way you tackled the (ankle) elite foot. Definitely gives me some ideas. I'll be watching this definietly. I have some old Razor skates, that I may try your idea out on. Anyways, I can't wait to see your progress. Good luck with your move buddy!

-Tony

And so this is the first Elite build I saw. and this is so EPIC~! :) I agree with Blackula :p Gudluck dude! Ill keep an eye on this.

can not wait to see the finished project, id check out zonbi's builds as she has some ideas for an undersuit that could work really well here

I agree, Zonbi's work with her Noble Six was awesome and shooting for something along those lines, I think, is the way to go.

Hey man, I would have commented earlier, but the internet is down at my crib. I love the way you tackled the (ankle) elite foot. Definitely gives me some ideas. I'll be watching this definietly. I have some old Razor skates, that I may try your idea out on. Anyways, I can't wait to see your progress. Good luck with your move buddy!

-Tony

I'm glad to be able to throw some ideas out there for you, and others, to use and riff on. Definitely looking forward to seeing how you tackle the foot too. Thanks for the well wish on the move...started packing stuff up yesterday and I'm getting pretty excited.

Love the stilts. My friend and I are going for a similar build. Will definitely be incorporating some of your ideas. But yeah, keep up the awesome work and can't wait to see some more results!

My friends Mike and Ron used a similar setup for the stilts when they made their Underworld Lycan costumes. They used hockey skates, and mounted the angled "ankle" or whatever where the blade would be in the skate. It worked out well for them, other than always having tired legs. Your support system should help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back