-- Biceps/Shoulders: _______
-- Hips/Thighs: Complete
-- Spine/Back: Complete
-- Knees/Shins: Complete
-- Hand guards/gloves: Complete

Weapons Progress:

-- Knife Attachment:
-- Pistol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've kind of fallen off the radar lately. I stopped updating my original build thread. Reason? I stopped building my Mark IV EVA. Quite frankly, it was just too hard to create a suit without pepakura patterns. I've switched to doing Reach Mark V. I didn't want to post until I got something relevant to show. So here's what I've been working on.

Photoon2011-09-04at2114.jpg

Photoon2011-09-04at21142.jpg

Photoon2011-09-04at2115.jpg

Photoon2011-09-04at21152.jpg

Photoon2011-09-04at2116.jpg

Size to Me comparison:

ChestPieceRunt-1.jpg

The chest piece is a mixture of the game model and the live action one that SavageGiggles got to wear (the one from the commercial). I decided, it's my armor.. I'm gonna do whatever the frak I want with it. hehe. (yes, I said Frak. BSG rules.) The white foam on top of the EVA foam is regular Craft Foam. People I see on other build threads sometimes complain about not being able to get the detail they want because the bigger foam is so hard to shape right. ... so work smaller? Seriously, 405th needs more craft foam.

I still need the lower part of the chest peice, like the belly plate and the spine, but I'll update again soon with those. :)

Oh yeah! I also did some hand plates.

HandPlateRunt.jpg

LOOKS AWESOME ROXY !!! I will have to get some tips from you and i missed the meeting tonight but I'm reach now . talk soon

Looking most excellent. Having seen your craft foam prowess first hand, I can say without seeing this in person that the detailing is top notch. Now I really want to work on my armor... nothing like friends that inspire you.

Thanks guys. <3 I'm not a large person, so I had Kirrou's help with the sizing. And yes.. details. Yummy awesome details. Muahaha

Hey Rosh, are you coming on Wednesday?

UPDATE

Finally got around to my biceps. Most of the guys haven't been coming over to build, so my inspiration has been rather low. Plus i had the (fun) distraction of going to SabotenCon as Link and Lightning.

These still aren't fully completed. I can't finish working on them until i have access to a dremel. >.> But this will do for now.

Close Ups:
107_0170.jpg

107_0169.jpg

107_0167.jpg

With my Chest:
Photoon2011-10-29at13583.jpg

Photoon2011-10-29at13584.jpg

Photoon2011-10-29at13585.jpg

Photoon2011-10-29at1359.jpg

Photoon2011-10-29at1401.jpg

Even though I accounted for the foam bending, it's still a bit tight. >.> I need to dremel the inside down a bit to make room for my under suit. I plan on having, I think, the recon shoulders? Whichever are the triangular ones. >.> One of those will have a knife attachment.

Yay updates. <3

this looks really good! hopefully you can resolve the sizing issue successfully :)

your lines are looking really neat for sure :) I can't wait to see this completed

edit: Nice shield in the background ;)

Great job Roxy and kudos for using the craft foam. On that note, with a little planning you may even be able to hide unwanted seams using the craft foam. So, yeah I agree, we do need more craft foam. (why did I just hear Christopher Walken in my head when I typed that? lol)

I got a feva, and the only perscription....is more craft foam....

Roxy, first off your build is looking sweet, and a lack of inspiration is the worst thing ever, but I really wanna see this build get finished!

Where the files you used for your biceps a female foam file? If so, is there a thread you got them off of? Got a lady friend suit for next year in the making and her arms are quite skinny

thats pretty good, sad to hear about your EVA though. I was lookin forward to it. Happy Building!!!

YES. More Craft foam needs to make it's way on 405th. it really does come in handy for intricate details (or hiding bad seams). ^_-

I got a feva, and the only perscription....is more craft foam....

Roxy, first off your build is looking sweet, and a lack of inspiration is the worst thing ever, but I really wanna see this build get finished!

Where the files you used for your biceps a female foam file? If so, is there a thread you got them off of? Got a lady friend suit for next year in the making and her arms are quite skinny

I used the files from HaloGoddess' thread on female Reach pieces. I'm not sure exactly which thread though. >_> But even using the Pep file , I had to adjust it because it was too tight on the lower end of the bicep. I pepped it, and then taped it up, traced the lines and used the tape as a pattern to draw onto the foam. I should probably do a small tutorial on making Foam patterns from peps...

thats pretty good, sad to hear about your EVA though. I was lookin forward to it. Happy Building!!!

Yeah, it was just getting too frustrating. XD I'd rather enjoy making a costume than want to tear it to pieces, you know?

Glad to see you're still making progress. What are you planning on doing for the helmet?

That... err... kind of a secret. XD I'm doing a helmet I haven't seen built on 405th yet. That narrows your answer a bit. I had wanted to do the Pilot because it was most reminiscent of the EVA helmet from Halo: Legends, but the Pilot quickly became the bandwagon helmet. T.T Soo.. I chose my second favorite instead. Distorted Inc, I think, is making the pep model for me, but i haven't seen any progress pics. I'm in no hurry though. I want to save the best for last. <3

nice work with the foam! I am really going to have to give this stuff an honest shot.

can't wait to see the helmet either :p

@odst.fng: Yes! You should. Though I think any material is worth at least a try. ^_- What's there to lose, right? heh

UPDATE TIME.
My favorite shoulder piece is the Recon. It's also very simple, which made it easy for me to make a quick pattern from scratch paper. Again, if you haven't been convinced by the awesomeness that Craft Foam can add in details to your build, then this is a perfect example. Below I show you my process start to finish, with EVA foam as the base, and craft foam for detailing.

Reference images! This is only one of the four I used. References make the difference between close, and dead on accurate.
ReconShoulder1-1.jpg

Pattern on Graph paper. Compare angles and such with the image on the computer screen. If you got the angles right, then it should be fine. :) Would anyone like me to scan this to use as a Foam pattern?
ReconShoulder1.jpg

EVA foam base. (ignore the red lines. I recycled this from a previous failed pattern). NOTE: I made sure to bend the craft foam with a heat gun, but also, I hot glued cardstock to the back. The cardstock and the hot glue make the foam very sturdy!
ReconShoulder2.jpg

Craft foam layer #1, seen in a lovely tan color. <3
ReconShoulder3.jpg

Craft foam layer #2, seen in a light grey color. Note: this has beveled edges, and tiny strips on top, so really it's two layers, not just one. I beveled the edges to imitate the reference as close as I could.
ReconShoulder4.jpg

CF Layer #3, seen in white. There is a minor detail on top of layer 3, seen in grey. The grey bit has two strips of card stock, slightly raised on hot glue. Tiny detail there, but only took like 10 more seconds.
ReconShoulder5.jpg

Close up shot.
ReconShoulder7.jpg

Size Comparison with my left shoulder (I know it looks like it's my right shoulder. My computer's camera mirrors things!!).
ReconShoulder6.jpg

Next up is a Hazop shoulder. >.> I'm gonna see if i can make my first knife out of styrene. ... We'll see. >.> I may need to wait for a friend with a dremel. No one has been building armor except me in Phoenix Team so... sad face.

But I lurves my new shoulder plate. <333

Wow, that's a kick ass job Rox. That shoulder looks awesome.
Is the shoulder base also made of foam (I'm sure its written in the thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to find/read). Looks to be just about spot on with the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back