RoxyRoo's Reach Build + Undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou. ^^
aaaaaand yes it is.

Haha, yeah, I went through the rest of the thread about a day after posting and I have to say it really is a kick ass job.
I especially love the chest piece. It looks awesome and the scale seems pretty spot on.
Shame about the Mark IV though, there aren't too many of those builds getting around and I thought it was pretty cool. Perhaps a rainy day project in a few years?

Keep up the good work, Squish

Looking great. That new Shoulder plate is looking really good. Keep us posted because I for one can't wait to see some more of this awesome build.

I'll make updates every time I work on something. For now, I've been busy with school and work. ^^ I'm at a somewhat stand still right now since I don't have access to pepakura (hence the shoulder piece), so I'm waiting for my friends to come over. Kind of bothersome. I wish there'd be a Mac version already. >_<;; I'd be working much faster on this..

I have been avoiding Reach threads since I hadn't played the game yet. However, after playing Reach for first time last night I settled on trying a foam Mark V and stumbled on this thread. Excellent work so far and what you're doing is exactly how I considered making my own (Kind of burned out on bondo/resin after my last build). I definitely look forward to seeing your progress. Personally, I was considering some sort of sealer/filler like Mod Podge. Any opinions on something like that or should I just stick with the EVA foam for now?

Forgot to add...how did you adjust Pep scaling for the foam?

Edit: Oops, sorry. I didn't see the other pages in the thread for some reason. Regardless, the foam technique easier to work with than the pep? I've been curious about it since I watched Zack Finfrock use the same technique on some custom armor pieces he was doing for a short film of his by the name of Priority One. It's probably been linked to death to this forum by now so I won't bother doing that.

RoxyRoo, you now make me want to work with foam. Is it actually better to work with than the cardstock? I am just asking because I've now had the misfortune of having to start at square one all over again for my armor. I'm just poking around for any sound advice on how to tackle it. The cardstock cutting and folding was starting to try my patience (and my tolerance for perma-gluing).

Where DID you find this foam??

Personally, I was considering some sort of sealer/filler like Mod Podge. Any opinions on something like that or should I just stick with the EVA foam for now?

Forgot to add...how did you adjust Pep scaling for the foam?

Modge Podge works well. A lot of cosplayers use it to seal their craft foam armor for various cosplays. You'll need SEVERAL layers. On 405th, a spray can of Plasti Dip has become the "prefered" method of sealing EVA foam though. You might want to try it out and see how you like it. I used Plasti Dip on my Link shield and it worked great.

As for sizing, I measure myself as best I can and convert it while in the pepakura modeler program on the computer (when my friends are here). Even if it's not the right size exactly, I just size it up a bit on paper before tracing it onto the foam.. Then I just eyeball it from there. >.>

Edit: Oops, sorry. I didn't see the other pages in the thread for some reason. Regardless, the foam technique easier to work with than the pep? I've been curious about it since I watched Zack Finfrock use the same technique on some custom armor pieces he was doing for a short film of his by the name of Priority One. It's probably been linked to death to this forum by now so I won't bother doing that.

Haha! IndyMogul brought me here too! (though, that was a year and a half ago..). I'm a big fan of Fallout: Nuka Break now too. <3 I think it's easier, and it's a lot less toxic. Lots of threads talk about the pros and cons of foam vs. pep, but trying each kind is really the only way to find out what works best for you. Foam, obviously, works best for me.

Where DID you find this foam??

I got mine from Hobby Lobby, but I think you can find it online too. >.> It comes in a set of 4 sheets, and each sheet is about 2x2 feet and should cost around $10. I made my chest piece with roughly two sheets. .. granted, I'm a rather small girl. lol

I got mine from Hobby Lobby, but I think you can find it online too. >.> It comes in a set of 4 sheets, and each sheet is about 2x2 feet and should cost around $10. I made my chest piece with roughly two sheets. .. granted, I'm a rather small girl. lol

Then I feel pretty lucky to have a Hobby Lobby here in town then, thank you. But now I need to get more glue and stuff. Thank you.

Sometimes... I really HATE how 405th just LOGS you out automatically when you're writing a post.. and when you go to upload it, BAM! All your typed post is history. =_=;;;

Anyways. Picture time. You know how I roll.

Photoon2012-01-11at1920.jpg

Photoon2012-01-11at22402.jpg

Photoon2012-01-11at2300.jpg

Photoon2012-01-11at2301.jpg

The straps are to allow greater movement inside the chest piece. I did that rather than just hot glue it straight on. Seemed smarter.

Life update: I've graduated college. Now I'm working as a comic book artist for P2 Manga LLC. Things are going well for me right now. :)

*** EDIT: Remember. The pictures are mirrored. I keep forgetting to UN-mirror them before uploading to photobucket. >_<;

The new stomach plate looks great. Congrats on both graduating college, and the job as a comic book artist for P2 Manga LLC.

Thanks guys. ^_^ Positive energy is quite motivating.

Forearms!! They're about 70% done. I'm still making adjustments to the fitting. But it's late and I'm going to bed. These will be finished soon~ <3

EVA, Craft Foam, Cardstock and hot glue. oh hot glue... >.>

Photoon2012-01-14at00522.jpg

Photoon2012-01-14at00534.jpg

Forearms are looking great Rox (as is the whole suit), but I have to ask, did you use a heat gun to bend the foam or just bend it and then glue it to get the curves?

TY ^.^
I used a heat gun, both before and after I glued the pieces together. I don't think it would have worked otherwise. The foam probably would have torn in the thinner areas. >.> If you don't have a heat gun, you can probably use your kitchen stove (if it's electric. I don't suggest using a gas stove).

I'm impressed at all the details you got in with plasticard there, and the inclusion of straps to the ab plate was inspired...I'm surprised you could secure it properly :) That's always my concern it's why when I secure straps I run them thru the part itself...I'm always worried about the glue or whatever coming loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back