Gears armor - problems and stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

Ok so, long ago I gave up the option of a 'full suit' focusing only on the torso, because of lack of money mostly.

Now the whole idea is in a mess. See after so many hours of bondo/sanding, I finally gave up on 'perfecting' the outside, slit it open (for the strapping) and found out... it wasn't shaped right even after all the preventative measures.

The shoulders, are too wide. The chest, is a tad small. Just goes to show how disproportional either the Gears models are or that I am.

So... giving up on the hard shell I am using my EVA foam, using the shell as a template and pretty much glueing parts to it to form a slightly larger (and then smaller shoulders) version to wear.

It won't be accurate at all, and I got a lot of work to do in under a week to get it done. So stress is gettin to me.

What do you guys think? Work on the hard shell? Give the shell up and go for foam? Scrap everything and just wait til I have more money?

Eh.. just tired... feel rather beat by all this. Tryin to find some advice really.

Wish my foam looked as good as the foams I see here... gotta be missing something they are doing.....

Don't give up! I to have these feelings as well. Actually, I've felt like that on the Commando & the current sculpt i'm doing. You have to keep trying, if it means starting over then so be it. I say try and make the current piece work, provided you don't have a problem with the inaccuracies. just keep in mind its a learning experience and take what you have learned from this and rock out your next project. Good luck, keep your head up!

Wish it were that simple really. Just isn't anymore.

If i try to make the shell work, it's gonna be a tight squeeze and hard to put the shoulders on , probably won't look right. Doing the foam seems more likely but only if I have enough foam and can make something presentable.

Seems like my work just isn't acceptable anymore, lost the motivation or something.

Actually.. been happening to a lot of things, games I play aren't enjoyed, things I usually do I don't anymore, don't seem to enjoy them anymore either. Wonder if maybe it's something wrong in my head? Can't seem to enjoy my games hobby or even job anymore.

Maybe you need a break. It sounds like you need a change. I wouldnt sweat it though. Don't beat yourself up over a scaling error or a mistake, or whatever. Go and try to find something that brings back that passion. It doesnt have to be this, maybe what you need to do is explore something different (you can always come back). I run when I get in a funk, it helps me clear my mind. Anyways, I hope you find that passion again, be good!

-Tony

I have the same problem too. But I still keep on doing no matter how unenjoyable I felt because the only thing that keeping me from bad thought is this hobby but I always get stuck at detailing stage. :(

I figured a bit out.
I was stressed because it wasn't looking "perfect"

Even if the shoulders were fit to me and the chest properly, it still needs probably 100 hours of bondo/sanding applications to make it look just right.

So I sat down and said "No guides". I started EVA foaming with the basic Fenix front. (circle here, long strips here, circle here) Like nearly all cogs have. Then I said "Eff Adam" and "eff everyone else" I am "COG Soldier #38377" and not a specific suit.

Looking at all the "popular suits" they are all a little different, never really noticed in gameplay but screenshots and movies and all the footage shows each charecter has their own individual COG armor- that better reflects thier abilities or personalities. Coles is made big football-like, Fenix suit has that odd backplating and shoulders, Carmines looks like "basic scrub" gear but it still differs from military grade, etc.

So why not. It's MY suit. It's not gonna look as good as I invisioned it (because I am running out of foam) but you know what, a wearable torso w/shoulders should be able to be finished up and painted in time.

I think I need to free form more honestly... less paper.. more foam...

Now my problem is selling my xbox360 so I can buy more foam/supplies. Lolz Ebay don't fail me now!

Edit:

Down to scraps now, but mostly got the torso done. Took like 3 sheets (they come in 4 packs) little lop-sided, little funny on some stuff but to be quite honest, I am happy with it. Dunno if it was the chocolate or anti-depressants or just the fact this foam version is turning out better and faster, but whatever.

Gotta do some "back" details still, gonna check the budget to see if I have enough to try some boots too.

My suit didn't come out perfect either but you can add your own touch into it and as long as it look very close to the game that should do just fine.

I swear it's the Gears files as I had the same problem. They just aren't made for normal humans! My Anya chest piece is a tad small but after 40 hours of building the goddamn thing I just made do with what I had. Halo pep is so much easier than Gears stuff. And I build the rest of my armor out of cheap camping mats. My entire costume cost about £50

I just made a suit as well and I decided not to try and make it exactly like a specific Gears character. Too hard and too stressful, as you know. Make it the way YOU like it and have fun with it. It is my first build and I had a blast with it. I think I might even wear it to work on Halloween, which will be crazy as I am in a very corporate environment.

Have fun and good luck. Link to my build in my signature!

I'm glad to hear that you figured out what was causing some stress. I too, have been 'freaking out', as my wife calls it, about things being too perfect. I have built a helm, torso piece, countless shoulders, knees, and I probably won't wind up using any of it. I am chalking it up to learning. Keep pushing thru and don't feel bad about taking breaks. I am in the middle of an extended break at the moment, but will get back to it...maybe this weekend. Hopefully we can see some pics soon :)

Hey Kissker,

I'm glad things are working out for you now. I am trying to get a Ben Carmine version done myself out of EVA foam because it takes less time to build and is much easier than pepping it. I too am frustrated because I am not happy with how it's turning out for now but maybe if I get more work done to it, it will look better and more accurate. I only have the figure to reference from but I make templates on 24"x 24" poster boards and upscale the figure by comparing the size of their hands to mine, and measure with a ruler then reference everything from that point of view. The only thing I've pepped so far is the helmet and it's already fiberglass reinforced on the inside. I plan to make the gnasher shotgun from pep as I don't have the chainsaw lancer from Neca. Looking forward to seeing your WIP pics soon! Here are some of mine.

DSC01913.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

DSC01916.jpg

DSC01915.jpg

DSC01914.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back