Not open for further replies.

30ea30a2

hello everyone im just starting out
i have made my 1st space marine mask
here is what i have done so far
SDC10062.jpg

SDC10065.jpg

i have alot of questions
i want to make the chest next but after i resin it and bondo what goes on the inside?
is there some kind of under armor?
ive seen wood frames used but wanted to know if there is another method
also if the wood frame is the way to go is there a pepakura file for such a frame?

The standard procedure is:

- resin outside (2-3 coats)
- fibreglass the inside (2 maybe 3 layers depending on what it is to how strong it needs to be) with resin
- bondo required areas outside for any areas that need to be smoothed or shaped
- sand
- repeat bondo and sand stage til you get the desired look
- spot putty to fill in pores left by bondo
- sand again with fine grit sand paper
- prime
- paint

Your helmet is looking good nice work. I struggle with coloured builds myself, i need edge ID and clear fold lines which arent good to see on coloured models. Need to practice with
those some time

For a chest piece you will want several layers of resin outside to strengthen it and 2 or 3 layers of fibreglass on the inside. This will make it solid. Normally when scaling you will want to leave space to allow for padding so under armor is always a good idea, leave space for it when you pep dont want it to be too tight on you

Read around the Stickies in the Noob forum to get general tips and advice to point you in the right direction

Well i trashed the first helm and made this one
i didnt like the 1st one it was a little to big
and now i think the second one is a little to small
SDC10067.jpg

Here is my poorly made chest with inner wooden frame
the front piece is hinged to open a bit
i had to cut alot of the sides off because i could not put my arms down maybe sized it wrong
also didnt want a small suit but there is no way i could make a full sized one
SDC10075.jpg

here is a gut shot
SDC10076.jpg

she still needs alot of work
the only good thing about this build is it has only cost me $20 bucks for the resin everything else was laying around the house
thanks for your support but i have been thinking of holding off on this build and moving to a fallout 3 armor set
im thinking since the fallout armors might scale better for an average size like 5'9
i kinda just dove in head first with out knowing fully how to scale things and use the pepakura software.
plus the 40k armor really is made for a 8 foot tall elite class super human and when its scaled down it just doesnt look or fit right

well now im thinking of doing both projects man I cant decide
I wanted to end this one because my home made harness didnt fit right
but after tinkering for a little while here it is on
now it fits like a glove what a pain in the @%$
I think next time im going to buy a nice harness
SDC10083.jpg

theres a list of things I would like to improve on and fix
where ever I mount the chest to the frame I might put a purity seal and Im thinking of ideas to hide the hinges
still need to resin a coat the chest more
the shoulders are not mounted yet i fastened some L brackets to the chest and stuck the shoulders on them
need to find some kind of pivoting hinges for those
i just want to get down to dry brushing the paint scheme already!
it figures I have to be unemployed at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back