Tron: Legacy Rinzler Build (Pics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shippox10

Jr Member
My friends and I have decided to all build Tron suits for Halloween. My part is Rinzler, so the majority of this thread will contain progress on the Rinzler helmet/suit, although some pictures of Quorra's, Sam Flynn's, or CLU's suit may appear from time to time. I will definitely have final photos of the whole group, so stay tuned for that around Halloween time.

I have the helmet pepped already, so photos of the progress so far will go up in a couple hours once I get my camera up and running again. I will be printing out the Identity Disc later on today (although the recent release of Gears of War 3 will hinder my progress I'm sure).

Trying to figure out how to make a flush visor that's molded to the shape of the helmet. I want to vacuum-form the visor once I've shaped the helmet but I think that it would stick out. Am I wrong with this thought? Trying to figure out the best way to make a sturdy visor, so any help would be appreciated. If I were to vacuum-form the visor and then cut out a little but around the edges, would the visor be flush?

Also, does anyone know the exact wiring for EL tape? If you look at Rinzler's chest he has four small squares of orange light (among other patterns/lines) that I feel can be accomplished with EL tape. However, I'm not quite sure how to wire the EL tape to the inverter. I heard online that wires can just be attached to one end of the tape. Is this true?

Thanks for reading, and check back later for pictures!

Cool look forward to seeing it. Some of my friends didn't like tron for some reason. I thought it was pretty sweet. Def not in my top ten or anything but a good one. Good luck with the build, I would of bought gears of war 3 buuuuttt I'm signed up for the BF3 beta which is supposed to come out monday. Look forward to seein the build!

Alright so here are some pictures of the helmet so far (pepped). If you are wondering this file was purchased from Propzone. If you have any input for my questions above, please feel free to share. I'm open to as much help as I can get!

dscn0640f.jpg

(The front of the helmet)

dscn0641vy.jpg

(Side view of the helmet)

dscn0642mn.jpg

(The back of the helmet)

Yeah... Rinzler is cool... but C.L.U. is cooler. Sweet build though! I'm very jealous. This is another build I wan't to attempt but my mkV is eating up all my time (not upset about it though). I've thought about the whole visor predicament too. It's a design problem I've been trying to get around. My two options are cut the finished helmet in half, vacuform both halves out of clear petg and glue 'em back together or build a mold and then pour in a clear casting resin. After which I'd just spray the whole thing in black tint paint. Can't wait to see more. Keep up the awesome work!!!

Yeah... Rinzler is cool... but C.L.U. is cooler. Sweet build though! I'm very jealous. This is another build I wan't to attempt but my mkV is eating up all my time (not upset about it though). I've thought about the whole visor predicament too. It's a design problem I've been trying to get around. My two options are cut the finished helmet in half, vacuform both halves out of clear petg and glue 'em back together or build a mold and then pour in a clear casting resin. After which I'd just spray the whole thing in black tint paint. Can't wait to see more. Keep up the awesome work!!!

Thanks for the idea! It's going to be my first time vacuum-forming so I'm kind of nervous. Thank goodness the bondo comes first. I hope to print out the Identity Disc later today and start working on it. The other two helmets are still in progress since it's my friends' first time pepping. Hope to put those pics up soon (whenever they finish their helmets lol).

I love the Tron Helmets! Can't wait to see this come to fruition! Yeah.

Yeah we're really excited to see all of the helmets completed. I've spent a lot of time figuring out how to light everything and how to wire all of the EL Tape and LED's within the suit and the helmet as well. It's going to be a great project (just glad I know a few EE majors haha).

Any thoughts on how I could make the visor flush with the helmet? My friend suggested getting some thin plastic (like whats used on projectors in classrooms) and making a small see-through area on the front, but I'd prefer a thick visor so it's more sturdy. Any thoughts? I'm worried that vacuum-forming will make the visor stick out...

Isn't there some kind of pourable plastic resin that hardens clear after it has cooled? Please realize that I'm just thinking that it has been invented, I've never actually seen something like this.

Isn't there some kind of pourable plastic resin that hardens clear after it has cooled? Please realize that I'm just thinking that it has been invented, I've never actually seen something like this.

You can find it at Hobby Lobby but it is kind of expensive for the amount you get. You can even get tints for it to change the color.

The stuff from Smooth-On is probably out. I think you need to cure that at a very specific temperature(ovens do not cut it) and under vacuum.

You can find it at Hobby Lobby but it is kind of expensive for the amount you get. You can even get tints for it to change the color.

The stuff from Smooth-On is probably out. I think you need to cure that at a very specific temperature(ovens do not cut it) and under vacuum.

Yeah I've considered making molds for the helmet visors but seeing as we're making three helmets and with college work considered, I don't think making three molds is a very good idea.

Vacuum forming was our initial idea simply because it is faster to vacuum form than it is to make a mold and then pour resin and get a decent cast.

We plan on using a spray on tint that's used on car lights in order to get a black one way finish on the visors. The link is here if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPCRS6

the only thing about the niteshade, and this is from a guy that uses it, is that it has a purple tint to it. so whatever you spray it on, will be purple with light shone threw it. which, rules out the ability to use orange leds in it, if he ever plans to. good idea though, just wrong materials. the best solution to this is to spray on a mixture of gloss black paint mixed with clear paint through a HVLP spray gun, now its a light amout of black to heavy part of clear, but the ratio is all up to how dark you want. i always use a 1:4 or 1:3 ratio when i do tinting on car tail lights (not recommended ;) ) and i can apply 2 light coats, and get a pretty good about of tint to them. but the niteshade is relativity cheaper than buying bulk paint, in times :)

Awesome !!! Are you gonna make/mod an identity disc? Will you look at 12v neons aswell? I cant wait to see more pics!

Yes I'm going to make a custom identity disc using fat-hi555's model and unfold found here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30723-Tron-Identity-Disc?highlight=identity+disc

I was going to make the high-def model but it's too ridiculous for a time-constrained build like ours. I plan on having the disc being separable, held together by magnets. Then we plan to make a housing unit using a modded predator smart disc holster found on the Hunter's Lair. We will then use magnets to hold the disc onto the mount.

As for neons, I do not think that we will be using them for this project. I think that we will stick to LEDs and EL Tape/Wire.

As for an update: Quorra's helmet has been pepped, so I will get pictures of that up soon. Look for them in about 4 hours once I'm done with class.http://www.405th.com/member.php/15285-fat-hi555

Sorry for the double post. However, I thought you guys might want to see MORE PICTURES!!! Here's the Quorra helmet, since it's now pepped:

20110927192313928.jpg
20110927192313928.jpg
20110927192259733.jpg

The front of the helmet.

20110927192331577.jpg

The side of the helmet.

20110927192341122.jpg

The back of the helmet.

MORE Pictures!!!

Towards the end of last week, we applied bondo to all of the helmets. We haven't had time to sand them yet but those pictures will be up soon :D

img3025x.jpg

Quorra's Helmet

img3020v.jpg

Another View

img3022c.jpg

The helmet of Clu 2.0

img3023li.jpg

My helmet half-bondoed

img3021r.jpg

And it's bondoed!!!

img3028s.jpg

Holding the helmet for size reference prior to the last batch of bondo.

Hope to have more updates soon!!!

very nice, lately ive bean pondering on a tron suit. idk if imona do a helmet tho, good bondo job so far

It doesn't look like you added resin or fiberglass to those helmets. You might want to add at least fiberglass or resin because body filler by itself can be brittle unless you apply a lot in which case it gets fairly heavy. Some people use urethane plastic (which is non-toxic and can be used without a respirator) instead of fiberglass and resin on the inside and that works too, but you probably need more than just body filler.

Also, how do you not get in trouble for using body filler in the dorms (it looks like you're in dorms).

It doesn't look like you added resin or fiberglass to those helmets. You might want to add at least fiberglass or resin because body filler by itself can be brittle unless you apply a lot in which case it gets fairly heavy. Some people use urethane plastic (which is non-toxic and can be used without a respirator) instead of fiberglass and resin on the inside and that works too, but you probably need more than just body filler.

Also, how do you not get in trouble for using body filler in the dorms (it looks like you're in dorms).

No we decided to skip the fiberglass and resin since it's toxic as you mentioned. We have thought about reinforcing the inside with something similar to paper mache, which is what I used on my MJOLNIR armor. However, we will be using PETG sheets for the visor so that will reinforce the helmet somewhat. We plan on sealing the helmets after the bondo so that will hopefully keep it from flaking/breaking apart. I used paper mache and bondo on my iron man helmet and that seemed to work pretty well.

As for why we didn't get caught (because yes we were in the dorms :p) that's for two reasons:

1) We sprayed Ozium up and down the hallway which got rid of most of the smell.
2) The RAs that found us (along with our own floor mentor) were too busy being in awe of what we were doing to be mad. Our floor mentor even sat in the room and watched us do it for a while haha.

You could say that we have a very relaxed hall :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back