My Mark VI "Sister" Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's any help to you, my thighs are 35 cm tall, and too small. I did have to add cardboard around the inner bottom areas to make it wider, though since I was using the LD files I luckily didn't have the inner pieces to make out of Pep; they were made with foam.

If I were to do it again, I would make my thigh a few cm taller, like Sandy said (between your 34cm and 41cm ones). Yes, even a few cm makes a big difference.

My advice to you would be, if you are unwilling to Pep a third, mid-sized thigh piece, go with the smaller one instead. I fiberglassed mine, so they are thin after hardening, and I didn't need to add any padding to them. So, they fit well enough, and they're comfortable enough without any padding.

If it's any help to you, my thighs are 35 cm tall, and too small. I did have to add cardboard around the inner bottom areas to make it wider, though since I was using the LD files I luckily didn't have the inner pieces to make out of Pep; they were made with foam.

If I were to do it again, I would make my thigh a few cm taller, like Sandy said (between your 34cm and 41cm ones). Yes, even a few cm makes a big difference.

My advice to you would be, if you are unwilling to Pep a third, mid-sized thigh piece, go with the smaller one instead. I fiberglassed mine, so they are thin after hardening, and I didn't need to add any padding to them. So, they fit well enough, and they're comfortable enough without any padding.

thanks for the advice. I mean, pepping one thigh only takes like..a day, so its not that big of a deal to redo it. But Im just confused at how high the highest (outside point) part should go, ive been looking at pics of people's builds, but its hard to tell just how high it really goes.

To clarify though, you said that after fiberglassing and resining it was still pretty thin? What about bondo and clips and stuff to keep it in place? I think the small ones I made are way to small, but Ill probably end up redoing 36,37, or 38 cm pieces.

thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it :)

I think 36.5 cm should be the right height for your thigh piece and you should use foam for the inner thigh.

I think 36.5 cm should be the right height for your thigh piece and you should use foam for the inner thigh.

I havent worked with foam yet, but what kind do you suggest? And is it really difficult to use? (can I cut it with an Xacto knife.? xD)
Do I still paint over foam in the end?
Also and by the inner part im assuming you mean the part that is normally black, right?

I am 5'10 I think, and i scaled mine to 356mm, I also dont have the most muscular legs in the world, but piece seems to fit right.

I wish i didn't read this thread, I'm currently pepping the left thigh at 310mm and im 5'11" .... OHHH DARNN IT :(

I feel like smashing the caps lock and raging as hard as god has made me capable of, although i won't.
Thanks for this thread guys, I'm going to stop waisting my time on a thigh that is 40mm too small and start again.

AHHH FOR THE SAKE OF XBL THIS FREAAKKKINNNGGGG SUCCCKKKKSSSS :(

I think that, inversely, you should be really glad you read this thread. You didn't keep wasting time, and now you can re-use the uncut paper.

I'm really glad i read this thread and stopped waisting time, and now i can re-use the uncut paper.

Well i can't re-use the paper because my silhouette had it all cut out for me, and also i was wondering is there anyway to adjust the scoring length and frequency on the sillhouette?

Occasionally the piece of junk cuts the smaller tabs right off and sometimes even the skinny areas of the body. ( I hate my sillhouette)

I am 5'10 I think, and i scaled mine to 356mm, I also dont have the most muscular legs in the world, but piece seems to fit right.

Kk. Im about 5'9 and I have girl thighs (lol) clearly, so I think when I rescale it I will try 356-365.
I just have to figure out how to do the inside in foam, since many people have been suggesting it...
anyway, thankyou so much for posting some reference scales! It really, REALLY helps me with mine :)

I wish i didn't read this thread, I'm currently pepping the left thigh at 310mm and im 5'11" .... OHHH DARNN IT :(

I feel like smashing the caps lock and raging as hard as god has made me capable of, although i won't.
Thanks for this thread guys, I'm going to stop waisting my time on a thigh that is 40mm too small and start again.

AHHH FOR THE SAKE OF XBL THIS FREAAKKKINNNGGGG SUCCCKKKKSSSS :(

Ahhh no! Oh well, at least you found out before you completely finished it, right? Plus, rescaling is all part of the armor making process, as I've found out waaay too much. (Had to remake my chest piece after finishing the entire thing, made 2 thighs and neither of them will work, and will probably have to rescale my lower arm piece as well, lols)

W/e you do, don't quit because of scaling mess ups! Just keep trying it and browse the forums/ ask questions about scaling (get reference from people the same height as you perhaps? Its what im trying to do.)

Good luck with your build though!

good work so far, Re pepping pieces sucks

Thankyou! And I couldnt agree more, haha. But hey, its all a part of the process so live and learn, right?

I'm really glad i read this thread and stopped waisting time, and now i can re-use the uncut paper.

Well i can't re-use the paper because my silhouette had it all cut out for me, and also i was wondering is there anyway to adjust the scoring length and frequency on the sillhouette?

Occasionally the piece of junk cuts the smaller tabs right off and sometimes even the skinny areas of the body. ( I hate my sillhouette)

If I may ask, what is a silhouette? Some sort of printer?

Had to remake my chest piece after finishing the entire thing

I'm in no position to quit having spent the amount i have and having alot of pieces already glassed, but if i mess the chest pep up i will die a little inside...

A very helpful member 'Ventrue' has linked me this tut and i found it quite helpful, although i didn't get the thigh spot on the first time, i wasn't in a good state to engage in activity requiring intelligence when i measured.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

If I may ask, what is a silhouette? Some sort of printer?

Well it cuts the paper for you once you stick it to an adhesive pad, then you flick through 6 prompted menus, let it scan about 4 times, then it finally does a mediocre job of cutting your cardstock for you.

I really wouldn't suggest looking into it unless you had a medical condition preventing you from cutting the paper yourself.

I'm in no position to quit having spent the amount i have and having alot of pieces already glassed, but if i mess the chest pep up i will die a little inside...

A very helpful member 'Ventrue' has linked me this tut and i found it quite helpful, although i didn't get the thigh spot on the first time, i wasn't in a good state to engage in activity requiring intelligence when i measured.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

Well it cuts the paper for you once you stick it to an adhesive pad, then you flick through 6 prompted menus, let it scan about 4 times, then it finally does a mediocre job of cutting your cardstock for you.

I really wouldn't suggest looking into it unless you had a medical condition preventing you from cutting the paper yourself.

ahaha yeah I was bummed when I failed at the chest piece, but in the end im glad that I did because my first version of it was a non-hd file, and it would have turned out sorta lame. Im glad that I decided to go HD on the second one I pepped because HD is super legit.

Paper cutting can be annoying, but I think Ill stick to my x-acto knife xD

p.s. thankyou for the scaling tut. link!
I started using Abrant3's youtube vid scaling tutorial, i think itll work out great, he gives reference measurements as well! Heres a link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/abrant3#p/u/4/0sMIaFuokRA

I dont know who he is on 405th, but his vids have seriously helped me out a lot, so thanks abrant3 wherever you are! :D

Alright heres what I'm thinking..
I think im goingto stop with the thigh pieces for the moment and perhaps make the cod so that I can get a good idea of how high the thigh pieces should come up.

I'm unsure whether to order some EVA foam and make the cod piece out of foam because a lot of peopel say that its better to have it a little bit flexible.
Found a tutorial for foam by ben streeper here:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28434-Foam-Armoring
I think itll help a lot, but I'm worried that I wont be good at the foaming method. I dont know, wel lsee. if anyone finds any other good tutorials feel free to put them in this thread, thanks!
-Anna

For the inner thigh you can use black craft foam and you can use the pepakura pattern for the template and hot glue it on your Fiberglas thigh piece.

To clarify though, you said that after fiberglassing and resining it was still pretty thin? What about bondo and clips and stuff to keep it in place? I think the small ones I made are way to small, but Ill probably end up redoing 36,37, or 38 cm pieces.

Yes, fiberglassing adds very little thickness to a piece, even if it is thoroughly strong; that's one of it's best properties. Bondo should not add much thickness if you do it right, since most of it is sanded off; it is only used to smooth over or build up specific areas. As for the strapping/buckles, I have 4 attached to each thigh piece, and they are not in the way at all.

Regarding this, as well as the inner thigh foam, I can suggest you take a look at my build thread, towards the end (approximately around pages 18-22). You should find photos detailing the inner thigh foam pieces, as well as some of the thigh strapping .

Yes, fiberglassing adds very little thickness to a piece, even if it is thoroughly strong; that's one of it's best properties. Bondo should not add much thickness if you do it right, since most of it is sanded off; it is only used to smooth over or build up specific areas. As for the strapping/buckles, I have 4 attached to each thigh piece, and they are not in the way at all.

Regarding this, as well as the inner thigh foam, I can suggest you take a look at my build thread, towards the end (approximately around pages 18-22). You should find photos detailing the inner thigh foam pieces, as well as some of the thigh strapping .

reading through your thread really helped, thankyou very much for that.

bout 1/2 way done cutting out my right shin piece. Scaled at 35cm
Photo193.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back