Strong armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingxanose

Okay I have a good chace of geeting a job and am considering making a very high quailty auit of custom spartain armor for a anime convention held in my area every year and I need a stronger thick suit capable of withstanding my weight should I trip(I am rediculusly clumsy)

No this is not a different way of phrasing what i asked for help with befor, but i am still pursuing that for airsoft. I am trying to findout what type of material i need to create a durable suit.

metal or very hard plastic or some kind of rubber. if you fall down hard. Foam is another viable option, it will retain its shape easy enough but the paint might get cracked if you fall and it over bends somehow, but repainting is still fine.

the first thought i have is to buy motocross armor or somthing, and model it after that, maybe even hockey pads, but anyway after you look to those for tips you could probably even use it for the armor
research is always necessary

My Advice will differ depending on the method you are using. If you are using Pepakura, Add an extra layer or two of fiberglass its what a friend did on his helmet and he was able to drop it from the fifth story of his apartment building and it didnt break. (And No he didnt use it for airsoft.) Making FOam armor is the easiest way for durability because like J326 said it will flex and bend. And its a lot easier to repaint the foam than to make a new piece. And finally IF you have the money, (As Full Metal Suits are expensive) GO with cold rolled steel, It will be harder to build, cost a lot more money, But it wont break or bend or anything of the like. I wish you luck.

Ill stand by what others told you before. The armor we make is not for actual use, just looking fancy at events.

You wont relies it till you put the armor on, but thats just going to hinder your ability to move... a lot. Making you less effective at those activities, not to mention a much bigger target. Especially if you make one with strong materials.

Well upon thinking about it throughou tthe day i am going to go another way for the airsoft but am still wanting to make a durable good and looking suit for a A-Kon next year. thank you for the help though. By chance do any of you kno w a good way of making a protectiv suit for airsoft other than just cloth?

Well upon thinking about it throughou tthe day i am going to go another way for the airsoft but am still wanting to make a durable good and looking suit for a A-Kon next year. thank you for the help though. By chance do any of you kno w a good way of making a protectiv suit for airsoft other than just cloth?

Where is the akon you're going to?

Okay I have a good chace of geeting a job and am considering making a very high quailty auit of custom spartain armor for a anime convention held in my area every year and I need a stronger thick suit capable of withstanding my weight should I trip(I am rediculusly clumsy)

No this is not a different way of phrasing what i asked for help with befor, but i am still pursuing that for airsoft. I am trying to findout what type of material i need to create a durable suit.

I can say from experience that FOAM would be your best choice for making a suit that can withstand a wearers fall.

Check out this thread for more details on how a MK VI Foam armor was made:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30558-Mark-VI-high-def-foam-armor-WIP?highlight=gamemaster

Cheers!

foam wouldnt hurt you if you fell but it would mess up if not destroy the suit, once foam bends or flexes past a certain point it gets really wrinkly. its going to be very hard to make a suit that can take a fall with little damage.

foam wouldnt hurt you if you fell but it would mess up if not destroy the suit, once foam bends or flexes past a certain point it gets really wrinkly. its going to be very hard to make a suit that can take a fall with little damage.

I agree to a certain extent about the damage, but a fall would not destroy it. I have worn Gamemasters foam suit and I have taken more than few falls in it. I can say from experience that it stood up very well from my falls and it took very minimal damage. The worst that I got was a fall on gravel. Only some cracks in the paint and a small tear in a weak hot glued seam on the cod. A fall in my fiberglass suit will take more damage than the foam suit. :)

Otherwise I completly agree with you about the challenges of trying to make a suit that takes little to no damage from a human wearer taking a fall.

Keep in mind we are a community that makes costumes, not protective gear. :p

Edit: It's also important to note the type of fall and the surface that one falls on. ie. a simple fall on grass would have less damage than a fall from skidding down a sloped concrete sidewalk. OUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back