Xtremenoob's Mark VI build

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE
OK guy i got some quick pics and this is the game plan. Im going to clean my shed
PB291406.jpg
then im going to add all the details on the Mark Vi with some clay
PB291415.jpg
after i am satisfied with it i will mold the helmet then do 1 cast and do some work on the cast till it is perfect then mold it again because i know if im not satisfied with it then other people like me wont. Im sorta perfectionist. the pic of the helmet i have shown you is really bad and my apologies if i get some details wrong. i am going of all different pics detail wise. i am hoping to get the helmet with most details done by next week but will update when molding. i have the products ready to use. In other news when i picked and pulled every bit of pinkysil of my chest piece i got this an have to repair and mold
PB291409.jpg
AND I WILL NOT GIVE UP BECAUSE...
PB291411.jpg

hey guys just over 24 hr and only just got the first layer of dragon skin 20
PC161430.jpg
will add 3-5 thick layers tomorrow morning after breakfast will have it ready to cast about lunchtime. stay updated

hey guys just put the last thick layer and now waiting 4hr till i can put the fiberglass jacket on it updates then and heres a pic
PC171431.jpg

FINISHED MOLDING AND CASTING!!!
hey guys not much exiting news but i finished molding and casted my version 1 MarkVI helmet will tidy it up and mold it again.OK this what ive been doing for the past 9 hr ok i started making the mohalk with the fibreglass mating i was limited so i prepared how much matting can use on one side as so
PC171430.jpg
Then fiberglass
PC171432.jpg
i put normal household aluminum foil on the inside of the mohalk to stop it from sticking together sorry but i deleted the photo. But this is what it looks like when done
PC171433.jpg
before taking it apart i drilled 4 screws and bolts into fibrglass so it would go back to its original shape
PC171435.jpg
. I did cast the first pretty even BUT....
PC171436.jpg

It had a warp spot :(
PC171439.jpg
so i did another one and it looks bad at this point
PC171440.jpg
Then cut out the back and the visor and then sanded
PC171441.jpg
after spraypainted
PC171442.jpg
JUST letting you know this still needs alot of sanding and some bondo. I will be molding this one and this one will be the one i would be selling off the purpose of doing this is because when making the version1 MarkVI helmet there was alot of bumps cracks and sanded right down to the paper and wasn't smooth so i molded it and cast it with SMOOTH-CAST 320 so it was all plastic and i can make it really smooth like so
PC171444.jpg
this has been a big update and after i smoothed it i will add details and ready for molding again if you have been reading this whole thread i thank you for watching and i will try to do my best. If you have any Questions contact me Thanks

Awww man... :( Should have sanded the mother out of your original soo the casts would be paint ready.

Just a question, you're in queensland, i was wondering where i could pick up casting materials here as well.
But damn, you're making amazing and fast progress!!!

i found this a while ago http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/9535-Aus-Nz-Member-And-Event-List and scroll down to the second thread and it shows local suppliers i bought pinkysil from AMC Supplies it is good for molding basic pieces like the chest but it has no thickening agent so i waited till it was at the brink of curing (just as i was thickening) and slapped it all on it worked but it looked bad. i lokked for hrs searching for a US smooth-on supplier that ships to AU http://www.theengineerguy.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?display=home it is alot cheaper than rowetrading company but the only thing is you have to pay alot postage i paid around 150-200 just for 1 gallon dragon skin 20 and 1 gallon smooth-cast 320 to get shipped here but if you do the math you can save 1-200 even 300 if you buy from the engineerguy. i hoped this helped if you have any more questions let me know

nice build, I dont think I could ever do molding, I barely have enough patience to make my own suit. But in the end It'll be worth it when I show up that kid who spent 600 on the rubies version

just letting everyone know im defiantly not selling these i made a mold and cast to make a base for the ones im selling im going to make another mold of this one as my final version when this one is done it would be perfect if not i will do another if iv got the money

Very detailed build so far, I'm liking it a lot! I've debated on molding and casting a few things but the expense of it is something I can't currently afford. Keep it up!

thanks for your kind comments guys and gals. I quickly just put in a visor to c how they would look when i sell the after i do a little clay work (adding the vents and minor details) and i will mold this helmet,cast it and start selling them in the short future i have 1 week before i lose my job so after Christmas i will start on my suit that is if i have enough money.
PC181448.jpg
PC181447.jpg

hey guy Merry Christmas to all and this is what i have been working on i had to make a new back end for the helmet but i had to wait till i get some cardboard this is what i'v made so far
PC251461.jpg

Dude, you've come quite a way in your build, I only have mine in the finished pep phase, still have to resin. Things may look bleak, but keep your head up man.

hey guys i need your opinion do you prefer this if not let me know please!!! it is a bit of foam i have cut out and shaped i colored it black. I need to know before molding!!!!!!
PC281472.jpg
PC281471.jpg
PC281473.jpg

The design looks good... but I'd suggest re-doing it out of craft foam. Some of the edges look a little uneven and it looks a tiny bit thicker in some spots, which using the craft foam will eliminate.

OK guys massive update i did this last night and worked all morning and afternoon.
Lets start i changed the back design and went for something not as thick so i used some cardboard thanks Bexi for you opinion, you changed my mind before it was two late
PC291470.jpg
it is the same for the other side then i molded it using the same process i used before but i decided instead of going down the middle of the helmet i decided to go sideways and it is alot easier than front to back but it depends the positioning of the mold keys
PC301473.jpg
what i love about dragon skin 20 it is because you can roll the mold right over the helmet and it will go back to its original shape you cant do this unless you make a 2-part mold
PC301474.jpg
then i casted it and cut out the visor and starting to paint it
PC301475.jpg
im glad it kept all the detail that my master helmet had
PC301476.jpg
Then did a base coat and started weathering with all different greens
PC301477.jpg
And finally i finished it of with some basic detail and fit a visor
PC301478.jpg
PC301479.jpg
PC301480.jpg
but my visore doesnt fit just perfect so i added some foam till i find a alternative .
PC301482.jpg
i will put in LED'S soon and also a fan once done i will put it up on ebay around $120

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back