Tips for Highschool? (I needs advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varsity

I know this isnt the right place to ask..

Im in my freshman year, ive been doing ok in my classes but i have to make all B's. I have 4 B's a C and a D. I find myself coming home from school and just getting on Reach, my homework is stockpiling. Im usually on Reach from when i get out of school (At 1:50 pm) to about 10pm. I need help on how other people got past their freshman year in Highschool, and i need tips & advice. Thank you for reading.

I basically did the work the day I received it, unless it was an assignment that would take longer. I would parcel out my time accordingly so that my first couple hours would be spent working really hard on getting the work done, then I'd be able to enjoy my time afterwards without the weight of homework and school bearing down on my enjoyment.

If you get the work done within the first couple of days it's due, or day, then it leaves so much more time for you to enjoy because you would have earned it.

I basically did the work the day I received it, unless it was an assignment that would take longer. I would parcel out my time accordingly so that my first couple hours would be spent working really hard on getting the work done, then I'd be able to enjoy my time afterwards without the weight of homework and school bearing down on my enjoyment.

If you get the work done within the first couple of days it's due, or day, then it leaves so much more time for you to enjoy because you would have earned it.

In math we have a couple of assignments assigned. Usually about 4 at a time and a due about a week after they are assigned. For some reason i keep being an idiot and waiting till midnight the day before to do it, i have no idea why.

Give your power cable or controller to a friend for a six weeks, and deal with it lol

Im thinking about hiding my stuff from me.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Here's a tip. Put the controller down and pick up a pencil and get to work!

The xbox isn't going to help you get through school. Studying is.

If you want to talk to your online friends, just join their party without having to be in the game.

You need to have the will to resist the temptation. I suggest that you set a rule that you need to follow. For example, no games until you finish all your homework and study. Or you can only play games on weekends.

My kids are not allowed to watch TV, use internet from Monday - Thursday. They can only play games on Friday and Saturday. Sunday is rest day.

Here is a motivation. People who makes $150,000 a year have to work hard starting from grade school until they graduated in college. Having a so-so grades will not likely to land you a job that pays. Just think, by the time you retire, you will not have pensions (based on market today) and retirement from Social Security. You either work in Mc Donalds making minimum pay or you sit back and wait for money pouring in. Your choice.

Instead of waiting till the last minute to do it, make it a point to be done the day it is assigned. Youll feel good afterward knowing that you dont have to worry about it for a week!

Make it a goal, then play Reach for days guilt free.

Shift gears, youre in reverse.

I know this isnt the right place to ask..

Im in my freshman year, ive been doing ok in my classes but i have to make all B's. I have 4 B's a C and a D. I find myself coming home from school and just getting on Reach, my homework is stockpiling. Im usually on Reach from when i get out of school (At 1:50 pm) to about 10pm. I need help on how other people got past their freshman year in Highschool, and i need tips & advice. Thank you for reading.

Well there's your fundamental problem, I'm pretty sure the answer is simple.

Stop playing video games and do your homework.

When you're done your homework, then you may treat yourself to a bit of Reach. Use playing Reach as a motivation to get it done, then you get to play.

You could always send your 360 and Reach discs to me...as I don't have a 360 of my own. Heck, you might even find yourself upgraded to the Limited Edition at that rate: the local Target has a copy or two left.

I think what everyone, including myself, is trying to say is that you really need to rethink your priorities. The only reason that you don't have all B's is because of exactly what you said: I find myself coming home from school and just getting on Reach, my homework is stockpiling. Im usually on Reach from when i get out of school (At 1:50 pm) to about 10pm. If you can spend the time it takes to just accomplish your homework, which usually doesn't take more than an hour or two, you would be at straight B's, if not higher, in no time.

-Matt

Its tough to resist that temptation to play reach , but those things are privileges . High school is tough , but with a little discipline you can overcome it man! Just discipline yourself to do your homework , study and THEN have some fun time . Hope that helped!

Jacob

The best solution to your problem really is to stop playing Halo. When I was in high school, I didn't touch my N64 until weekends. But that almost derailed when I got to college and had roomates who constantly wanted to play Smash Brothers with me. After a few miserable quarters I had to pretty much swear off gaming for the entirety of each school term and pulled it together to graduate.

I know the games and at this point the internet can be a massive time sink, but as everyone else says, you need to prioritize and just get the school work done first. Aside from that, I think you need to talk to your teachers especially the one where you're getting a D and see what you can to do to make up any lost work or anything to get your grades back up. You need to get into the habit of getting the work done, because once you're in college, the onus is totally on you to get through school. You're not required to go to class (but you really should!) and professors are not forgiving when it comes to makeup work or missed assignments. So it's better to get into the habit now, so when the time comes to do it on your own, you don't fall into the same trap I did.

Well there's your fundamental problem, I'm pretty sure the answer is simple.

Stop playing video games and do your homework.

When you're done your homework, then you may treat yourself to a bit of Reach. Use playing Reach as a motivation to get it done, then you get to play.

Hyo has the right idea.
Also, the same thing applies to chores around the house!
I've got alot of work to do...

when i was in highschool i just made myself a weekly plan. i dont know if you have free periods at your school, but i used mine to do my homework. try writing yourself a schedule, like if an assignment is due a week later, work a half hour or an hour a day on each assignment right after school and then you will have the whole rest of the evening to blow people up on reach. gotta remember that you're not just doing the work for high school, but for your future higher education too. i wish i worked harder in high school, so take that to mind :) good luck!

Keep your head down, don't party, don't do drugs, keep at the 405th, take AP classes and get D's or the equvalent lowest passing grade and get 4's or 5's on the AP Exams, wait for college, high school isn't everything even though the rest of society is still living like it is. If you do all these things, you should be able to shuffle right through just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back