Polythemus' "Victor-101" Mk VI Build WIP - PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, so I joined 405th about a year ago and since then I've been working on my MK VI build. Unfortunately though, I've only gotten the helmet done and the torso pepped :( BUT, now that I'm in college and I have no money and no job, i have some extra time so I've really stepped it up! Since I've never made a thread before or ever posted my progress, I figure now is the time to do it just to get you all caught up on what I'm doing. Hopefully I can get some feedback!

My Armor Progress:
KEY:
None
Started
Pepped
Fiberglassed
Bondoed
Detailed
Painted
Finished

HINT: These are clickable links! They'll take you to the latest Progress Update explaining my progress on that piece :)

Armor
Helmet
Second Helmet
Torso
Cod Piece
Right Arm:
- Shoulder
- Forearm
- Hand Plate
Left Arm:
- Shoulder
- Forearm
- Hand Plate
Right Leg:
- Thigh
- Shin
- Boothttp://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34555-Polythemus-Mk-VI-Build-WIP-PICS!?p=572650#post572650
Left Leg:
- Thigh
- Shin
- Boot

Weapons
SRS99D-S2 AM Sniper Rifle
M6D - 1
M6D - 2

So, to start off I'll post what I have of my helmet which is COMPLETE :)

Sorry for the bad quality pics.

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

Here's a link to my photobucket

To give a little explanation of the helmet, I've got 4 fans on the inside, 3 in the front, 1 in the rear. The way I installed the fans is I pretty much made a duct system for them. each fan has 3 1/4 inch surgical tubes running to the rear of the helmet. The fan is held by a small duct made out of an aluminum sign. Like any other MC helmet, there are four LED's on the outside of the helmet, two on each side. I also took the liberty of installing a blue LED strip to the inside of the helmet that shines down on my face, allowing anybody on the outside to see in. There are three switches mounted in the chin: one for the outer LEDs, one for the LED strip, and one for the fans. I do have a dual-layer visor which I made myself from two motorcycle visors I bought from a local motorcycle shop.

Unfortunately all I have pictures of right now is my helmet because I have that with me in my dorm and I left the torso at home but I'll be getting the torso up here pretty quickly. As soon as I do I'll post some pictures! I've also started pepping again and I'm working on getting everything scaled right.
As for the undersuit, I've decided I'd like to go with what Longshot-X used which seem to be this for the upper body and this or this for the lower body. The only problem is, like I said, I have no job or money haha so I'm working on getting a job right now to pay for this extremely expensive hobby.

Please let me know what you think of my helmet. Although I've finished it, I may or may not make another one to go along with the rest of my build because I'm not 100% satisfied with it. Also, What do you guys think of my undersuit choice? When I get some more pics up I'll be sure to be asking more questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! It's good to get some feedback from a fellow 405th member. At this point I hate to say that my progress may be kinda slow but I'll definitely post any progress I make. Right now I've kinda gone back to stage one, researching the undersuit, planning the whole thing out. I wrongly decided not to start with the undersuit when I first started...
Haha I was wondering how people managed to do that, just couldnt figure it out! Thanks

Ok so I've been doing a lot of thinking and I've come up with a plan!

I've decided that I'm actually going to make another helmet because I'm not 100% satisfied with the one I have now :/ SO, as of now I have just started pepping the new helmet. Hopefully I'll have this thing done by next week or so I can maybe get moving on to the next piece! The only problem with that, still, is that I need money to buy the pressure suit! Gotta get a job... Once I get more info on that I'll be sure to update. Until then, I'll try to update my progress on whatever it is I can do now.

OH! One more thing. Since I'm in college and all and I live in a tiny little dorm, I have no place to do anything beyond pepping, including fiberglassing, bondoing, and detailing. I've been talking to my professors and other people about any facilities I could use do do these things but it doesn't look like I'll be able to very easily or any time soon... But perhaps there are more people here at NAU that are doing this same thing and having the same issue? I'm thinking of trying to organize some kind of community here. Don't know how, but I think it would be good if I could. What do you guys think? Some input on what other alternatives you could suggest would be great!

-Poly

Progress Update

Alright, I've been pepping for a little while now, trying out some new methods on a few things. First, I decided to go with no edge ID's! I have to say, Longshot was right, it is a lot more fun and In my opinion it looks much better. Also, for some reason, my old method of pepping was CUT CREASE FOLD GLUE. That is no more! Now, its CREASE CUT FOLD GLUE and it works soooo much better. One last thing that I'm doing now, which is why I didn't get too far this time, is that I'm really taking my time and trying to be precise. I've learned that without precision while pepping a high detail part, all those little imperfections really add up and can screw up any piece. I'm trying to minimize those imperfections as much as possible...

By the way, the model that I'm using is Flying_Squirl's "Final Mark VI Helmet". I LOVE this one! :D

Well, here's what I got done pepping on the helmet tonight:
-Right Jaw

photo.jpg

Like I said, not much, but I'm not concerned about time right now :)

And for anybody who is curious, I'm about 72 inches tall and I'm using a build height of 260 mm on this one. I scaled down slightly from my last helmet, only by a cm, because it felt a little big to me.

Let me know what you think!

-Poly

woow your helmet is really good! You did an amazing job bondoing and sanding it down, and the inside is super comfy looking lol. If you put the same amount of time and work into the rest of the suit as you did with the helmet it will be amazing!

Ha thank you! Yea, it's somewhat comfortable on the inside, not perfect though. That's one of the things I want to change with my new one. Well now I'm trying to put MORE time and energy into it so I hope it turns out well! :D

And to answer your question, what I mean by "crease" is just scoring all of the mountain and valley folds. What I do is I print out the page and, using the end of the file on a swiss army knife and a ruler, I score all of the folds while the pieces are still in the paper. THEN I cut out each piece and fold and glue them. It makes it a lot easier to do it this way because with some of the really high detail pieces it prevents them from being ripped off or bent plus it's a bit easier to keep organized.

wow looks fantastic msn, the helmet looks great and it looks like you did it really fast =D keep up the great work

Progress Update

wow looks fantastic msn, the helmet looks great and it looks like you did it really fast =D keep up the great work

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback :)

So I've been working on the jaw and I just got it finished but unfortunately it's too small :( I had decided to make this one with a height of 260mm but I see now that I overlooked a few things in making my decision. First off, my head is approximately 250 mm high, but for some reason that didn't process in my head haha. Second, I had thought that I had scaled my other helmet to 270mm high from roughly measuring it but after doing a few more measurements and comparisons to my newly made jaw, I found that I had originally scaled it to 290-310mm high. Here are some pictures for ya!

securedownload.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

Well at least I found this out now rather than when I finished huh? I'll just be redoing it probably with a scale of around 285mm, I hope that's good!

I tink the old helmet looks good, maybe you could just get some bigger padding if it is loose. It will look a little big until you have at least the chest to offset it. Out of curiosity, what kind of LED's did you use for the outside? My helmet is almost-ish done, so I need to start looking into lights.

I tink the old helmet looks good, maybe you could just get some bigger padding if it is loose. It will look a little big until you have at least the chest to offset it. Out of curiosity, what kind of LED's did you use for the outside? My helmet is almost-ish done, so I need to start looking into lights.

Well thanks! It's not that it doesn't fit well, it actually fits quite snug, I'm just not TOTALLY happy with the quality of work I did on it. I figure I might as well do another helmet if I'm to be building the entire suit. There are just a few things that I don't like about it, some major flaws (of course that I only can see haha), and I'm not satisfied with the painting. That helmet was just kind of a test-run, just so I could get a feel for the process. And now that I have, I can make one better than ever!

The LEDs I used are called "Linrose SuperBrite LED" I bought them from Frys.com. Let me see if I can get you a link to them... Here it is!! These are some pretty good LEDs too, although that aren't the brightest ever, they are definitely worth the money. They have their own resistors and everything :D

Progress Update

Ok, so like I said earlier, I've been waiting to get my HD Torso that I'd pepped a while back up here in my dorm and guess what... I got it today! First thing I did was check to make sure it would be the correct size and it seems like it should be perfect for me. I had scaled it to a build height of 437mm which makes the width of the inside approximately 285mm. The first thing I noticed about it though is that it has gotten a lot of abuse since I pepped it and put two layers of resin on the outside. I've made the decision to redo the torso as well :( As is the same with the helmet, I did the torso a long time ago and my skills have greatly improved since then so I fell like I can do it again much better! Take a look :)

securedownload3.jpg

securedownload4.jpg

securedownload5.jpg

securedownload6.jpg

By the way, since I'll be making another torso I have no use for this one so if you're interested in having it please let me know and we can work something out. I'd rather not just throw it away :/

Another thing... I also got my boots today that I am planning on using! unfortunately, it's getting late so I can't post any more but I'll update you all tomorrow. Bye for now!

-Poly

Ok, so like I said earlier, I've been waiting to get my HD Torso that I'd pepped a while back up here in my dorm and guess what... I got it today! First thing I did was check to make sure it would be the correct size and it seems like it should be perfect for me. I had scaled it to a build height of 437mm which makes the width of the inside approximately 285mm. The first thing I noticed about it though is that it has gotten a lot of abuse since I pepped it and put two layers of resin on the outside. I've made the decision to redo the torso as well :( As is the same with the helmet, I did the torso a long time ago and my skills have greatly improved since then so I fell like I can do it again much better! Take a look :)

By the way, since I'll be making another torso I have no use for this one so if you're interested in having it please let me know and we can work something out. I'd rather not just throw it away :/

Another thing... I also got my boots today that I am planning on using! unfortunately, it's getting late so I can't post any more but I'll update you all tomorrow. Bye for now!

-Poly

You are making another one? It looks great though! You must have really high standards on your quality of work haha, cause really, it looks perfect to me. How is the fit on the torso though? From the pics it looks a little wide but that might be because its being held closer to the camera than your body. Also thankyou for explaining the "crease then cut" method, I definitely see why that would work better on the smaller pieces and will be using it for my build now too xD

You are making another one? It looks great though! You must have really high standards on your quality of work haha, cause really, it looks perfect to me. How is the fit on the torso though? From the pics it looks a little wide but that might be because its being held closer to the camera than your body. Also thankyou for explaining the "crease then cut" method, I definitely see why that would work better on the smaller pieces and will be using it for my build now too xD
Thanks! Haha yea, I have extremely high standards, plus I like pepping so I don' mind all the extra work :) I've actually never put it on, I can't fit my head through the neck hole and The support struts get in the way ha. But I've measured it and compared it to myself and it seems like it'll fit perfectly. And yea, I thought that too, perhaps I can get a picture of it right beside me... Just gotta find someone to take it!

No problem! That's what I'm here for :) I'm glad to hear you're gonna use it now!

-Poly

Progress Update

So... About those boots! Well here they are:

securedownload7.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Here all I did was taped two pieces of paper together and traced the sole of each shoe to get an accurate measurement. My plan is, since each shoe is exactly 320mm, to scale the depth of each to 320mm. The only thing I'm wondering about that is if that would be enough. Should I scale it to a little bit larger than the actual boots?I'm planning to use the HD two-piece boot by Robogenesis. Unfortunately the link for them on the wikia doesn't work anymore so I'll have to do some more digging :/

Oh! Here are a few things I forgot to post earlier:

Well here's the HD right shoulder I made about a week ago. To me it seems a little big at a height of 352mm. What do you guys think?
photo1.jpg

Compared to the torso...
photo22.jpg

And also, here's the right HD handplate that I made about the same time.
photo32.jpg

This one seems to be a little bit small but I'm not sure. I'll most likely be using these gloves with them. I'm thinking I'll need to scale it up by 10%. Any input?
photo4.jpg

Well I'm about to get started working on the helmet most likely. I'll be updating!

-Poly

The torso looks like a perfect fit but thats just my opinion. Heck, the one I made is to wide but I'm still gonna use it lol.
As far as the shoulder goes I'd say it looks like a perfect fit, plus if you think its a little bit big you still have to factor in padding or a pressure suit/motocross suit for underneath the shoulder. (All of the under suits I've seen have padding right near the shoulder) Also I have to ask where did you get your boots? They look exactly like the ones I've envisioned for my build!

PS hand plate looks like a good scale too.

Wow, good work. If you didn't throw out that chin you pepped then you should resin it like that for a Sub-Zero/Master Chief ninja mask.

Polythemus (AKA: Ben), "Welcome to the 405th"

I like how the helmet turned out. Crisp lines, Excellent attention to the details. Defininly not rushed. Glad that your willing to re-scale and re-pep. That shows excellent dedication to not give up. Super job on the fan, padding and LED install. I am curious as to the noise level given off by the fans near the ears. My fans are closer to the front and take air in through the cheek tubing (cut vents into the tubing with the dremel) so the noise level is very low. My fav are the LED's on the INSIDE of the helm. That's a task I still have on my to do list for my helm.
+1 to epicness.

The undersuit: What can I say... I use them. They add to the "Look" extremly well. Comfortable to wear and are easy to strap. An excellent choice!

The Torso: From the way that your holding it I can see that the bottom opening should fit you snugly. Based on that, I'd say that your scaling is spot on. Your pepping skills do appear to be sharp, crisp and no warping. Excellent pepping skills.

For the boots: There are some boots in Heavygunners AIO Pep pack thread. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26285-All-in-One-Halo-Pepakura-Pack
The HD 2 piece boots appear to be the same ones that I used from the wiki.

The shoulder: I agree with you on the size... IMHO A bit big. I can see that the bicep is resting on your forearm... restricting your freedom of motion just a bit. I would suggest a rescale of -10% possibly -20% Re-pep and then see how it fits and looks. At least the shoulder piece is easier to pep than the helm or torso. That's 2 huge hurdles behind you.

Hand plate: I agree with odst.fng. It does need to be scaled up just a bit. I would try up by 10%. Re pep one and see how its size looks on your hand. Hand plates are quick and easy.

Excellent progress so far. Keep this up and your on your way to an excellent MK VI

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back