Noble VI Foam & Pepakura PIC HEAVY WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaJ27

Whats up everybody?! Mista J here excited to b getting my thread on my first armor WIP going! Ive actually been working on this for about a month and a half now, however I wanted to get into a good headstart before I started postin, well, that and the fact that I didn’t want to post ne of my failed first attempts right away lol. Well Im over the learning process now and am pretty comfortable working with the foam, and now it is crunch time to get the armor finished before Halloween. I didn’t start this project as a Halloween(new venture with my good friend http://www.405th.com/member.php/31678-Iron-Panda, and a Halo Fanatic) but with me participating in Halloween work event it quickly developed into one.

So here is a quick look at the Armor that I have planned:

Folder.png
[/IMG]

This is just the base look however I will be making small additions here and there. Colors will be the same, additions I will be making are as fallows:
Emile Kukri knife (mounted on the outside of the right shin piece)
Carter “fanny pack” as I call it
A GPS “TacPad” (My Windows Phone HD7 REAL SPARTANS USE WINDOWs PHONES)
Removable Collar/Breacher piece

Because of the time crunch that I am currently under, I will only be working on the armor itself AT FIRST. I figure I wont have the time to complete the undersuit completely, or the helm, which I wouldn’t be able to wear at work neway. So, I plan to have all armor pieces finished and wear it over underarmor for Halloween but I do have plans to finish 100% im just not the type to spend hours into something only to half ass it.

Allright here we go, this is what Ive got, I hope you like it!
And please, I OPENLY ENCOURAGE CRITISISM!! AS LONG AS YOUR NOT A JERK ABOUT IT, I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN IMPROVE UPON SO PLEASE FEEL FREE NOT TO JUST TELL ME WHAT I WANT TO HEAR, THAT’S EXPECTED I WOULD LOVE SUGGESTIONS!!

PS Since I found that picture referencing helped me out a lot, forgive me if you feel it is too pic heavy, but for those of you out there like me, hope this helps!

Helmet-CQB Pep File: (CQB) HD CQB Helmet L3X Pep3

Referance Photo:

ih_cqbmultiplayerhelmetb.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000407.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000408.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000416.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000422.jpg
[/IMG]
First size test, snug around the ears but it fits every where else, may restart. This was a very tedious helm to pep, I plan to make a Mk. VI and a EVA-C peeked at the pep files and they look to be a breeze compared to this helms pep.

Chest Pep File: Male Torso Foam Stencil V4 by L3X BLU3RIV3R

As promised, I have made progress on my chest piece yesterday, heres the pics so far
WP_000573.jpg
[/IMG]
Tried a different method of using the pep pieces, this time I actually used them as stencils and traced the pieces into the foam, I usually just gluestick the pieces on and cut them out as shown as well. Sticks well, takes less time, and is easy to peel off afterwards, with no residue
WP_000578.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000575.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000576.jpg
[/IMG]
Was both proud and relieved at this detail, i almost didnt attempt it for fear id have to start the whole piece again if i messed up. came out nice tho
WP_000577.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000579.jpg
[/IMG]
I am not doing the details on the front middle peice, (two cutouts with leds) that part will b covered up neway with my UA Base Security attachment piece.
p_00245.jpg
[/IMG]
Sorry for the crappy upload, I was using my old phone to take the pic as my current one was currently being tested in my GPS/Tackpad piece.
So there you have it so far, im enthused about my progress so far. Will upload more progress later tonight!

Shoulders/Biceps Pep File: Foam Bicep by L3X BLU3RIV3R Commando Shoulder Free Hand

WP_000430.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000432.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000433.jpg
[/IMG]
This is as it stands as of now, need to add three more detail and put the curve into it and it will b finished

Forearm Pep File: Foam Forearm Stencil by L3X BLU3RIV3R (modified)

WP_000503.jpg
[/IMG]
One thing I learned quickly, don’t skimp on the beveling, be sure it’s at a right angle or ur whole piece will be thrown off entirely, (see pics at end of post my first attempts at end of this post)

WP_000505.jpg
[/IMG]
A Dremel with a Sanding attatchment, and a steady hand makes beveling easy.

WP_000515.jpg
[/IMG]
Bad pic, you can see some of the mods I did to the piece, (pink&blue on front&white) all are game details I added with separate Craft Foam, double layered, and free hand cut shape and size.

WP_000517.jpg
[/IMG]
For other details that I didn’t want to stand out, rather b indented, I simply drew out on the foam(the Square middle) and used my pencil(mechanical) to score deep enough into the foam so that it would still stand out after painting. Ive seen this done with Dremel + Engraving attachment which I have, but this was small enuf to do with pencil
ATTACH]

Ready for paint!

WP_000522.jpg
[/IMG]
PlastiDip

WP_000532.jpg
[/IMG]
I seem to be missing a couple of photos on the painting process, Ill upload subs from when I do my second forearm peice. In the meantime I utilized a great method that I learned from here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32849-Hyo-s-Female-Reach-Build-Finished/page4 Thanks!

WP_000536.jpg
[/IMG]
So this is the peice with the primer layer, second coat of Brilliant Alluminum, and a top coat of black, with distressing.

WP_000539.jpg
[/IMG]
Masked off all areas I didnt want detail paint on, and added the yellow detail, with more vasaline so the final distressing will show wear thru all three layers.

WP_000543.jpg
[/IMG]
Tape removed

WP_000547.jpg

Damn drip! >:[ The yellow, is really runny, and very light in coverage, I did three coats to get an even finish, I should be able to use my sander/dremel to get rid of it

WP_000545.jpg

Vasaline wiped clean…Viola! By adding the second layer of vasaline over the silver and the black I got all three layers, the details make it pop and give it more realism (in my opinion, remember I want it to be well worn ten years have gone by since Halo CE, ten years since I became a Spartan, lol that’s a lot of wear and tear)

WP_000550.jpg
[/IMG]
Screws added as a final detail

WP_000553.jpg
[/IMG]
Almost perfect, still doesn’t go as far up my arm as Id like it to, will attack the back end with the dremel, sand down the edges a bit to fix

WP_000556.jpg

Attachments

• WP_000518.jpg
    WP_000518.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 218
HandPlate Pep File: Ruze 789 Reach Handplate

WP_000319.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_0003202.jpg

WP_000322.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000332.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000333.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000337.jpg
[/IMG]
Need to paint and carve out the three indents.

Thigh Pep File: Foam Thigh Stencil by L3X BLU3RIV3R

WP_000436.jpg
[/IMG]
Beginning of the piece, I combined a lot of the pieces into single solid pieces. The cut line above that’s off the stencil is the indent piece, Ive found it a lot easier to cut out with the actual piece instead as a separate piece, it fits together better

WP_000439.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000441.jpg

Missing the detail on the top portion, above the blue detail, intentional, gonna leave it flat, I will be installing magnets to hold a pistol, and or ODST SMG.

WP_000446.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000450.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000452.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000462.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000472.jpg

Primered and Silver layer added…shiney!

WP_000483.jpg

Black coat with distressing

WP_000484.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000499.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000525.jpg
[/IMG]
Well not completely finished, I didn’t add the under armor to the piece because I was looking into different materials with different textures that I might be able to use for that part. Was working one day and ran across this, its exactly what I was looking for, just didn’t kno it yet. Will b purchasing a couple and adding detail next week.

Gungir Knee, Freehand

WP_000470.jpg
[/IMG]
My quick outline of what I wanted the peice to look like

WP_000482.jpg
[/IMG]
Redrawn directly on the foam

WP_000491.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000490.jpg
[/IMG]
Really heavily distressed this piece, jus seems like a likely piece that would get hammered

WP_000564.jpg
[/IMG]

Progress so far

WP_000559.jpg
[/IMG]

WP_000562.jpg
[/IMG]

So thats what I have so far. Will be hitting the Torso on Saturday, will prolly update again late that night.

They look amazing!!! It's so weird how you guys make foam look so easy, but I bet it's sometimes just as tedious as pep itself. Anyways, wanted to say the distressed yellow looks great overtop the silver and black. Keep it up, I REALLY want to see the whole outfit completed! OUTSTANDING!

GPS/Tackpad FreeHand- REAL SPARTANS USE WINDOWS PHONES!!!

Okay so I did some work on my tackpad yesterday after posting my prog on the chest piece, guess I wasnt ready to b done for the night lol, pics are not as good as they usually are, I had to use my old phone as my current one is being shown off lol
p_00244.jpg
[/IMG]
This is the basic idea, not the finished product. I cut the top piece thats gonna hold my phone into the base to size by using my phone, not accounting for the base that my phone would actually sit in, so its a lil too small right now. Dunno, maybe I had too much Ciroc, lol, completely spaced on that one.
p_00236.jpg
[/IMG]
p_00246.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000394.jpg
[/IMG]
My fist attempt turned out horribly, so I was developing new ideas for it at work, (multitasking, not spacing off lol) and then I looked down at my Gemini, and an inspiration was born
WP_000397.jpg
[/IMG]
Drawn out on the foam, adjusting the size of my screen.
WP_000391.jpg
[/IMG]
Just cut some foam down to size and glued it down onto doubled up craft foam for the base, used my dremel to sand down the inside for a more custom fit.
p_00241.jpg
[/IMG]
Kno what?! Screw the tackpad, how bout some cross game referancing?Im goin with the Mass Effect 3 OmniBlade!
p_00242.jpg
[/IMG]
LOL! No seriously, im not, just goin with a tackpad, jus havin a lil fun with some swag from PAX
p_00243.jpg
[/IMG]
Allright thats it for now, will edit this post when I have the completed product to show. As always, feedback and CRITICISM needed please!

Kukri Knife & Sheath Pep File Emile Kukri by L3X BLU3R13VR

Hey everyone, its been a while since my last update, Ive been hard at work at work, helping people move, and on my chestpeice in the little spare time Ive had lately. I am hoping to have my chest near completion tomorrow, and I will post the complete progress on that after. But today, I have something else to show, I started my Kukri knife a couple of days ago, and got it to really take shape today. I made it out of a sheet of plexiglass, a very difficult but very effective material to work with. I will be finishing the hilt and sheath soon. Check it out and leave a comment, enjoy!
WP_000604.jpg
[/IMG]
Started out by tracing the blade onto the plexiglass, it comes with a heavy paper protective layer on both sides so that made it nice not to have to draw on the plexi
WP_000605-1.jpg
[/IMG]
I used my dremel to cut the shape out, going thru the plexi about 75% of the way making a real deep score, then snapped out the piece and sanded down some of the jagged edges that it left.
WP_000607.jpg
[/IMG]
Once I achieved the shape that I wanted I simply beveled the edges to complete the knife look and shape
WP_000613.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000616-1.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000617-1.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000620.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000623.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000625.jpg
[/IMG]
Carved a piece of foam into what I felt like would be an appropriate hilt, I think Im gonna do the entire handle out of the foam
WP_000627.jpg
[/IMG]
Ever since I bought my first pack of foam I was pondering how I might be able to put the interlocking pieces to use, well I found one way with the pommel here
WP_000630.jpg
[/IMG]
WP_000632.jpg
[/IMG]
Ready for priming and paint!

Awesome job so far. Really like the tac-pad. Had a quick question though,

I've just started with foam for my Mk V build. I've been having some trouble with beveling the edges of the foam. I noticed you mentioned using a sanding attachment for you Dremel to make your bevels. What grit do you use. I tried hand sanding with 60-80 grit sandpaper but it just seems to chew up the foam. Any suggestions?

But yeah, awesome build. Really excited to see the progress on this project. Keep up the awesome work!!

@Fudz073 Thanks for the comments!

As for the Dremel, Im not sure that there is a grit size, I just checked my box, I bought the Sanding and Grinding kit for $10 and it doesn't specify the grit. I think that there is only fine and course. So far Ive only used the course, and I get a smooth finish, it makes a mess, but the piece is smooth. I think that the difference might be the hand sanding. I imagine that if its really eating up your piece then you should try a finer grit. It could also have to do with pressure your applying, if too much I think youd get the same result. Thats got to be really time consuming by hand?! I recommend getting a Dremel, its been really handy, and I have seen people do some great things with them. I got my cordless for $39 @ walmart. If u do get one though, get a corded, or at least a couple of extra batteries, they drain fast. If not, another easier way that I was doing earlier on was just cutting the bevels with my xacto knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back