SWOR HavocTrooper 1st time build :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
soshalslayr

SWEEEEEET!!! Huge Star Wars fan and i love seeing other people's SW builds

Thanks Soshalslayr, this is one fun adventure and it's going to take some time but hopefully you'll be pleased with what you see in future updates :)

golem95

oh there are problems? hard to believe seeing as how beautiful that file looks
of course im willing to wait, cant rush perfection :p
if i were you when remaking the file id remove those tiny details you had trouble with as they are probably easier to add on using other parts after resining the pep, with the hd files on this site i often edit it to remove tiny grooves, ledges or raised details while keeping the original shape just to ease the pepakura stage
although i would like to get the current model just to have a look at it in 3d, ill pm you

Hey Golem95, Sadly yes, she's pretty but has issues, haha don't they all? I've thought about getting rid of some of the detail for the rework like the bolt that help hold the visor and and allot of the grooves. I'm still very new to this so i'm learning as i go. I'll have to give this some serious consideration. Thanks for the advice.

Zat German

PVA glues(Elmer's, wood glue, etc) all shrink as they dry. You need to make sure you use as little as possible. If you use lots for every tab, it is going to warp. I tend to take a single dot of it and swipe it with my finger for a super thin coat. That is all you need to make the paper stick. The glue should be thin enough that you have maybe 30 seconds to move the paper around and then it is already too dry and the paper will just tear. You also want to work in sections of continuous parts, let them dry and then connect those to other sections. That way one section drying does not affect another and cause warping.

Zat German, thanks for this great info, I feel this is the major cause of my problems. I did use allot of glue in certain sections as i went along building. I also did try to build it as one continues piece. This is something i'll be keeping and eye on in the next build. Thanks

Been awhile since my last update but here's one today.

I finally got around to modifying the helmet, also did some cleanup on it, have to unfold it, size it, print it and pep it. I'll post pics when i have something on that.

I do have a pic on the chest i modeled. Link below

http://lionos.blogspot.com/2011/11/swor-havoctrooperbuild10.html

I was planning on simplifying the model but then i read Spitfire22V's LD Mark VI build where he did a Low Res armor (which came out awesome by the way) and towards the end he wished he had done the high def armor. That and all the bondo work that had to go into it. I've worked with bondo and have already killed enough brain cells with it. So the less bondo i have to do the better. So hence why i con't to do as much detail as i could in the model phase. Hoping that when i get to the bondo stage it won't hurt as bad. Fingers crossed. Also i modeled the chest thinking differently. Meaning since i'm not animating this and don't have to deform it I let triangles be a bigger part of the build. It became a bit easier to model and I'm hoping that this will also help me in the pep build. Also the pic doesn't show it but I added supports to help keep it from warping on me.

Speaking of warping, I used the tape method that golem95 recommended and warping fixed. Yay!!! I'm almost done pepping the visor for that helmet and will post pics when done.

soshalslayr

I use dots of superglue in the corners and middle of the tabs on peps

Thanks Soshalslayr, That's something i'm going to have to consider with allot of the detail work like the little crevices. They are a big pain with the glue i'm currently using. I'll do a test run on it and update you guys when i do.

Keep building 405th
Lates

hey lionel, when you re build the helmet which version are you using? the one which i tweaked a bit or your one? im interested to see how the one i tweaked turns out :p but i dont have time to build until christmas holiday :(

ACDCrockr209
How in the world did I miss this thread?!
Great work on the files and build, dude!

Thanks ACDCrokr209, this is allot of work but also fun and i'm determined to see this thru. It's soo inspiring to see other noobs create armor that looks soo cool. I hope to one day come close to them. :)

hey lionel, when you re build the helmet which version are you using? the one which i tweaked a bit or your one? im interested to see how the one i tweaked turns out :p but i dont have time to build until christmas holiday :(

Hey Golem95, I'll be rebuilding the new one i did, I changed some of the dimensions on it to fit my son more. I shortened it some and widened it too, also i kept allot of the detail grooves and those stupid little frankenstien bolts. I hoping that putting in the work up front will help me down the line when i'm doing the bondo work.

Right now i've been researching under armor. I'm wondering if i should build that first and then make the armor fit it. I'm also thinking that maybe i could build some sort of strapping system into the under armor to try and hide straps better too.... Hmmm, soo much to think about. Hehe.

It looks like they used the same ribbed suit that the clones did. I need to get one for my Republic Commando, they can run from $75 to $300 depending on material and who makes them. I am looking forward to seeing this as a finished suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back