Biioshock Big Daddy Build 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goggles

Hello. I've been coming to the 405th website for a couple years now and I finally decided I should try my hand at a full body costume. I'll probably be biting off more than I can chew but with some perseverance and some speed pepping I hope to get this(or at least the majority of it) done by Halloween. To start off I'll leave you with the picture of the model I will be using.
bigdaddyy.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I will post more pictures as I finish major sections of the suit.

Questions, comments, and critiques are completely welcome and I would honestly love to hear them. Thanks and cheers. :)

EDIT: Due to improper scaling this is now a trial run for the actual costume. I will be doing this the same way I would if I planned on wearing.

I find myself very interested in this WIP, sip. I would love to see your progress. Have you planned out all the materials you are going to use? Because I myself am curious as to how you are going to put together the helmet.

I'm very excited for more updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok if you can get this done by holloween.... God would have to give u props. You would become a god on this forum. Good luck.

@SilentWings

I have actually. Hard surfaces will receive resin and bondo, piping will be actual copper piping, and if time allows arms and legs will receive a special foam casting that I will ask you to wait and see instead of trying to describe. As for lighting I'm still broken between a couple of ideas but will update as it comes up. Tank and drill hand not shown in photo will be scratch built from cardboard or matboard depending on what works better. Drill mechanism I'm still deciding on whether to use a lower power motor or attach it to a drill like others have.

@coldwave101 Nah, maybe a bit more experienced than I was before the build though. After this I hope to do either the harlequin from ACB multiplayer or a Brotherhood of Light knight from Castlevania Lords of Shadow. Hopefully this will help me succeed in either of those.

In other news my camera has gone and run off to who knows where so I won't be able to upload progress pics until sometime on the 20th unfortunately. Check back then if your still interested in the build. Thanks again.

Hoooo man.... that is some intense costume! Nice choice of bioshock by the way (great game, I haven't finished it yet but... still great)

I'm super curious: Where did you find this pep?!

When this is done I think you should invest in a cooling system underneath of all that... that seems like it will be a sauna in there.

Hoooo man.... that is some intense costume! Nice choice of bioshock by the way (great game, I haven't finished it yet but... still great)

I'm super curious: Where did you find this pep?!

When this is done I think you should invest in a cooling system underneath of all that... that seems like it will be a sauna in there.

Didn't find it per se. I talked one of my friends' ear off about making it and the next day they sent me the file. Exact words were "Now you can FINALLY stop talking about and get it DONE." lol

That's what the copper piping is for instead of just a solid piece. The suit will (hopefully)have an intake and outtake system. Time restraints will make this an extra project if I can't get it working before Halloween.

@Roceifin Yeah I'm kind of dreading the weight as I work. Thinking of setting up something that will spread the weight along my shoulders and back evenly. Still need to tinker with it though. The Big Daddy file? I was planning on uploading the unfold once I was done with the build. That way if there was anything I didn't like about it I could fix it.

@sithinstructor That sucks. I do freelance work at home primarily with modeling, dreamweaver, photoshop, etc. Whenever I finish my current project for the day I can just swivel around in my chair and start working again on the Big Daddy for a couple hours each night. A steady flow of caffeine doesn't hurt either. :)

@SilentWings

I have actually. Hard surfaces will receive resin and bondo, piping will be actual copper piping, and if time allows arms and legs will receive a special foam casting that I will ask you to wait and see instead of trying to describe. As for lighting I'm still broken between a couple of ideas but will update as it comes up. Tank and drill hand not shown in photo will be scratch built from cardboard or matboard depending on what works better. Drill mechanism I'm still deciding on whether to use a lower power motor or attach it to a drill like others have.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Work and whatnot.

Have you thought about maybe using foam for the drill? Of course, since you don't Bondo the foam, and instead use Plasti-dip the texture might end up looking different, but the foam is lightweight and, as far as I know, easier to work with than cardboard.

So excited to see how this is going~

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/goofv.png/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Picture above is for size comparison. As you can see with this, the helmet is about the same scale as the ring. My problem? The helmet is too big, as is the Big Daddy suit I've been working on. Therefore, this is now going to be a trial run for the actual costume itself. It will be done the same way I would be doing a properly sized version. I will upload the finished pdo sometime next week.

@SilentWings No problem.:) That actually sounds like a nice idea. Where would recommend getting Plasti-drip from?

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/goofv.png/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Picture above is for size comparison. As you can see with this, the helmet is about the same scale as the ring. My problem? The helmet is too big, as is the Big Daddy suit I've been working on. Therefore, this is now going to be a trial run for the actual costume itself. It will be done the same way I would be doing a properly sized version. I will upload the finished pdo sometime next week.

@SilentWings No problem.:) That actually sounds like a nice idea. Where would recommend getting Plasti-drip from?

Well, as for the plasti dip. I know wal mart sells it. But I'm sure everyday hardware stores sell it too, and in all honesty, I'd recommend going to a hardware store to buy some, at least that way when you ask where it as and other questions, the people will be somewhat knowledgeable.

I figured the suit would be big. But for a Big Daddy suit, it has to be. Maybe with a clever mount system, you can wear the Big Daddy armor in all it massiveness while not having it fall all over itself? For example, using lists of padding, or even mounting the Big Daddy helmet to a smaller helmet inside it?

The problem with a Big Daddy suit is that if it's smaller than it should be, then it looks funny. IMO anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back