HEY LOOK! another veteran ranger WIP *pic heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.
* Finished pics page 6*
IMG_3681.jpg

well hello 405th. i havent posted anything in a few months i think, but i figured its time i got around to posting the progress of my ncr veteran ranger build for halloween/next years cons.
the helm is the newer style military/riot helm i got from an army surplus store.
the mask is highly modded from the pep file i used which came from nexxt, he did a great job but i wasnt happy with the shape of the front of the mask, i didnt think it flared enough. so bondo and some balsa fixed that.
the chest is floor mat foam like most builds, and other than being too bulky (cuz i had to make it two thick) i think looks good.
the coat is sewn from duck cloth and the rain guard is just some leather imitation print stuff.

maskpep.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

maskridge.jpg

318364_300698293289553_100000481552869_1235055_340981522_n.jpg

this is all in progress still, mask needs final detailing, eye trim and lenses, filter etc. coat needs inner liner, im redoing the chest because it is far too bulky, and i still need to make the arm gaurds and get the proper belts and what not.

so here are some pics of me wearing everything besides the helmet, which i left at my dads house to work on.

me-1.jpg
(older pic)
IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

leme know that you think all, i have more pics but i hit my limit for this post haha. will be updating periodically.

double post i know, but its an update.

primer.jpg
got the mask in primer last night
starteddetail.jpg
started carving the details earlier today
maskhalf.jpg
painting with a single stage automotive paint, single stage has a basically a clear built in so once it cures it is good to go for any drybrushing, detail etc without worry of the paint lifting, or wrinkling.
maskbase.jpg
it is now outside curing. the helm, side light filter and mask are all this color, and either tonight, or tomorrow early on (the party this is for is tomorrow night) ill drybrush on some silver and black wash the recessed areas, and instal the lenses and put it together.

really nice work man hope mine turns out like yours and btw where did you get that jacket ive been looking everywhere for one

i made it off of a pattern from a craft store, the one that has the two matrix dudes on the cover. the rain guard is a custom add on though from just guessing and making paper templates. but thanks for the compliment, the mask may or may not be finished tonight. depends on curing time lol.

ok so i dont double post again, here are the weathering pics
weathering.jpg

masktest.jpg
helmet sitting funny because the liner isnt in all the way, oops lol.
lighttest.jpg
holding on the side i/r, and light. i left the tabs i made at my dads so ill have to improvise tomorrow.

only problem is the paint i used for some reason didnt cure in patches on the helmet. nothing else, just the helmet, it must have picked up a strange pocket of unmixed paint in the gun is all i can figure, so ill wipe down and respray it first thing in the morning. leme know what ya'll think

oh btw, this has no battle damage to it because i will be molding the mask and light sometime soon. and i want the casts to be like new so they can be worn as the buyer/user sees fit.

ok another double post i know, but i wanted to put up pics of my costume from the party. it still needs a lot of work, the numbers, riot tags, arm guards, proper belts, and back water bag and pouches, but even for not being completely finished, i am extremely happy with how it came out. and my cousin let me borrow his repro black powder gun for some of the shots :)

pose2.jpg

withjake.jpg
me and my cousin. his costume isnt complete but hes from red dead redemption.

i wana do a legit photoshoot when its all finished. i cant wait for that.

i know my helmet sits a little too high on my head, but ill fix that too, with time.

thanks man. what do you mean blueprint? for the coat itself or the rain guard part? i made the coat off a pattern you buy at craft stores. but i think i still have the rain guard pattern somewhere around here.

I like this ALOT.
Brilliant finish on that mask man. And nice find with the coat.
Heres a suggestion: Do the sniper rifle next? That'd just top this build off.

Peace

ya this was just a quick toss together for halloween. im going to make the rifle and all the rest of the parts for a con in san diego around march i think it is. im going to make a cast of the mask by then too so i can change a few things and make it fit better.

So it took long enough, but i finally started making this costume more complete re working my mask, and i made a new chest piece, and made the arm guards
IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

Im much much happier with how the new chest came out. i used floor mats as before but i glued them to an under armor shirt and it was amazing, its flexible, it breathes and it fits perfect, ima make a little how to real quick in case anyone is interested.

Double post i know, but I never got to do much more on this because i was working on other peoples stuff, but now I've started again so i can finish it fully before AX this year. so here's some updates.
I pepped a helm and hardened it, (i just used the smoothcast 310 and brushed it on and let it soak into the paper) now i just need to glass the inside and do all the smoothing work on the outside. I will spray it down with bulldog which is an amazing adhesion promoter so i wont have any issues with the bondo or resin not sticking.
IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

I remade a helmet and the side light and ir light off of nexxt's files, because i dont like the way my other helmet looked on my mask. you can see the light ill be putting in the helmet also.
This is a 1 watt led spot light from oznium, where i get most my lights, and this sucker is bright. its wired for 12v but works off of 9 if need be. I got it in warm white instead of cool, so it looks more like a bulb than an LED.
IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

This is it lighting up my closet, and my closet is pitch black, as youll see in the next pic
IMG_3496.jpg

I'm also finally getting around to molding my mask XP
IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

I should be able to take the shell off tomorrow and do a test cast of my mask finally. so stay tuned, I'll actually be doing regular updates on this build finally.
That is shell shock for the hard shell, it isn't as strong as i thought it'd be, and is rather brittle ( I mixed stirred/shook both parts when i first got them, and do everytime) so if it isnt normally maybe its a bad batch. i think ill go with plasti paste next time.

Oh I have two weapons in mind to go with this also.
I also have the back armor plate and the water pack for the back in progress but have to wait for the weekend to dremel the foam.

oh i forgot, this is how i made the mask wearable too, more foam ftw!!
100MEDIAIMAG0234.jpg

100MEDIAIMAG0241.jpg

100MEDIAIMAG0243.jpg

those lenses were a quick throw in for a con. but the foam held the mask to my face amazingly, the top band supported it, while the band in the back had a clasp i would buckle and it would hold tight all day if need be.

so i decided to make a plaster cast of the pep helm to sculpt instead of doing all the glass and bondo work, ill just mold the plaster when i finish.
100MEDIAIMAG0291.jpg

got the dome mostly smoothed. had some low spots and cured diff all over so it was sanding uneven, you can see the diff colors all over, the light spots are softer and sand faster.
IMG_3503.jpg

So I brushed some thinned plaster all over the cast, that way it will sand even and I can get it perfectly smooth
IMG_3504.jpg

the other side without the light system. I should get this smoothed and the light system sculpted better and ready to mould by this weekend. to anyone watching, stay tuned! :)

looks great man ive always wanted to make one of these well since new veags came out your looks awesome keep up the good work

:D thanks for the compliments, I don't have a finished halo suit yet, so I'm not sure if it feels the same, but you deff feel like a bad @ss in this costume. especially when the wind blows the duster around, or when it just kinda flaps and flows as you walk haha. I know this is mostly a halo site, but we need more rangers! lol

Ya It's my favorite armor too :) So, pretty big update today! I havent touched the helmet because It has been cold and wet out so I cant go outside and sand it.
So I have been working on all the armor plating. I finished the chest, the arm guards, the gloves, and the back plate that no one ever notices lol. It's in these two pics, and I'm a bit ocd about details, but i think that is what sets some builds apart :p
you can see the plating just above his shoulder
FNV_Wallpaper_9_1920x1200.jpg

and here you see it in the middle of the back above the water bag/rebreather
20101109041455FNV_NCR_Armor.jpg

now my progress, and first off, my gloves
IMG_3514.jpg

leather gloves using styrene for the plating, even put a piece of strapping around the glove to make it look like the band that holds the glove in the above pick.
IMG_3516.jpg

and the arm guards and ranger emblem on the coat.
IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

the guards with the gloves.
IMG_3515.jpg

the rear plate on my upper back/shoulders
AND now, the chest!! I darkened it to match the dingy feel of the game and the rest of the armor
IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

Instead of (08) on the neck guard I went with 88, because my old car number in jr. drags was 7881 and I use it for everything now lol. so the helmet will have a 7, the chest the 88, and a 1 is on the opposite shoulder on the jacket.
Now, everything on together, minus the mask and helm. and belts and stuff.
IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

I'm really happy with how everything came out. I am so close to being finished with this costume and wish I was going to comic con but that will have to be next year. I am going to AMM (commonly called am2 or squared) and AX though :p
Comments and criticism welcome

double post, but it is an update so It should be ok lol.
So i went and picked up some boots from sears today, and some cheap leather belts, and a pair of goodwill jeans that were perfect. I have to tear up and wear the jeans out some more, but I already started weathering em as you may notice.
IMG_3522.jpg

the boots after i darkened em some with shoepolish.
IMG_3523.jpg

ya they have a workboot sole, but whatevs, they look like round toe cowboy boots mostly, and they are pretty comfortable for those long con days.
IMG_3521.jpg

I still have to paint the emblems on the buckles and distress the paint on them, but i think it ties the chest together really well. *side note, I need to move the neck protector down, it hits my mask, i always have that issue.
IMG_3524.jpg

now with the coat on to get a feel for it.
IMG_3526.jpg

and another view of the backplate from before.

In other news my helmet is ready to mold :)
IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

I left it rough and added in extra scratches, dents, and the kill count marks, cuz it is a post war helm and even in great condition I imagine a helmet would look beat up.
IMG_3529.jpg

And I have a little surprise. I started making the gobi campaign sniper rifle, which looks like this:
830px-FNV_Gobi_Campaign_Scout_Rifle.png

and my WIP built off of a gutted nerf gun.
IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

The stock is made of foam mats i stacked three thick with a wooden dowel in the middle mat to add rigidity. I still need to add a lot but I only have a few hours in the gun so far.

Well thats all for now everyone, thanks for the views, and see you around the board, l8s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back