My son is VERY happy!(pic heavy)EDIT...He won!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopit88

My 6 year old son came home from Target with a small package of action figures. He had no idea what was inside but it turned out to be some Halo mini's. He was hooked and picked up a few more along the way. Now, we don't even own an Xbox so it's funny that he's crazy about Master Chief. He even learned the theme song on one of my synthesizers. So, it's easy to see where he came up with this years Halloween costume. Found this place shopping around for full costumes but had no idea I would build one from scratch. Looked pretty difficult but I've done dummer things so I dove in. Having never done anything like this before I figured it would at least be a learning experience.

He's never seen the game so being game accurate was not a concern, I just needed to get it done in 3 weeks. I added some detail pieces off the top of my head using thin craft foam to MrOreo123's unfolds.
Chest.jpg

He needs a smaller turtle neck but he couldn't wait to try it on.
Arm.jpg

The hand plates were to small to pep so I just made some quick ones out of foam. Velcro on the back sticks well to his fuzzy glove.
Battle%20Damage.jpg

I've seen a few child suits where they just used sneakers but I thought it would look better with a boot. After pepping a few different boots I realized it wasn't going to fly. He has to walk quite a bit trick or treating so I needed something that was comfortable, but still balance out the large pieces up top. I made some foam pieces and glued them on to some old snow boots. The added benefit is they hold up the shins perfectly and with his padded soccer socks underneath, they don't move an inch.
Foot%20work.jpg

Some random test shots. I still need to attach the tops of the thigh pieces. I attached some elastic bands at the bottom with rivets and covered the rivets with foam.
Halo%20back.jpg

Skyward.jpg

Guard%20Duty.jpg

The gun I had made before for him using a broken nerf pistol. I added a barrel to the front and a long stock to the back. An LED flashlight in an old motorcycle hand grip underneath for some place to hold on to. Not accurate but works for him AND it lights the way while he's walking. Since he trick or treats at night, the visor needed to be clear but I thought it should have some gold for effect. Again, not accurate but it works.
Patrol.jpg

Shooter.jpg

AMBUSH!!
Ambush.jpg

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. He wants me to make a suit for me for next year. Oh boy.

That is so cool looking. He seems like he is having a blast in those pics. Nice work super dad!:)

Oh wow, that is a fantastic job you did! Everything from the paint job to the gun looks great. Even though the gun doesn't fit exactly with Halo, so what. You made it seem like it could be part of the game. I'll have to keep my eye out for when you start work on your suit. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. He wants me to make a suit for me for next year. Oh boy.

I'm very impressed with your ingenuity, especially the use of the visor.

Be warned though. You are on the path of no return in building costumes. I've started making costumes for my kids last year. Since then I haven't been able to stop. I think I am addicted. :)

Very VERY kind words from people who really are talented. As some have said, my costume building days apparently are just beginning. I may have set the bar too high for upcoming Halloween's.

Well done. the suit came out awsome, and the fact that it took you only 3 weeks is amazing. Everyone is right the costume building fun has just begun. Great job.

Finale touch...2 LED's per side. I took apart a small flashlight that had 9 LED's on a disk. I took out the center one and every other one around the rim. This left me 2 pairs that were separated by one LED width. I then cut the circuit board in half and mounted the 2 pieces in the helmet. I figured with the reduction of LED's that the light output would be just for show but they actually are very bright. So bright that I had to run some sand paper around the surface to cloud them up a little. They blinded me when he would look at me, a real no-no when someone's about to hand you a fist full of Kit Kats!

LED%27S.jpg

I'm so jealous, i've never had any cool costume ever for halloween.

And your kid got a custom made prop from probably his favorite game.

Oooh how it sucked to be poor.
But now i'm rich and can afford to make my own armour.
Plus i'm grown up and is only going to grow in the direction of travel. :)P)

Perhaps i should make the suit i wanted to do, but i guess i should wait for summer since i live in an apartment and don't have any good workspace apart from outside on the balcony. (Is it named balcony when it is on ground?)

Thanks all. As a Halloween costume, I wonder how relevant Halo still is? Will he be recognized by the masses or the few?

That is amazing man!! Can't wait for my baby to be born then grow to fill a costume like that :p

May be the first of your build but definitely wont be the last. Im not even done my full suit and I am currently Pepping a Boba Fett helmet and an EOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back