My nooby suit made from a junker, still mostly WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinTek

Jr Member
I started working on this a few months ago, slightly before finding the 405th.
I bought it as a wrecked suit and started patching it up and replacing parts from there.
fd194bb3.jpg

Getting it to my country wasn't so bad, however explaining to customs why I had a 23 kilo box pass customs with armor in it was.

The thing was really beaten up (the trip half across the globe didn't help either), but seeing as I had some experience working with the materials before I felt confident I'd be able to fix it.

After about a month of after work hour labor I managed to get it to the point where the 'pants' was wearable and didn't look like absolute crap.
cae98993.jpg

A week later I found a decent looking motorcycle visor and chopped away at it, had I known back then what I know now I would of tackled it differently seeing as now I have a fairly tight spaced helmet with no airflow and a fairly chopped up visor.
5e5be396.jpg

A few weeks and about 50+ fits of working with fiberglass (I now know why the air filter was invented) I managed to repair the bulk of the chest and make it sturdy enough to be worn.
a6445499.jpg

At this point I deemed it good enough to be dragged of to a con half across the country which ended up almost killing me, after seeing some pictures of me in it I decided it might still need more work and started looking around therpf and the 405th for tutorials, advice and parts to replace/add to it.
2dc2be14.jpg

Now well over 6 months after it coming in my possession I've ordered a helmet kit from blackula, am trying to get a nice knife kit from a 405th member and am slowly gathering other kits/casts/props to make my suit more complete.

I realize I'll probably get frowned upon for not building it from scratch but still I'd hope you guys can give some critic and advice for how to go on it.

THis is not nooby at all is is very good, just one thing, the shoulders look small
Yeah they kinda hang down, I want to either replace the method it's currently connected or to shorten the velcro piece or maybe just replace them completely (I've been looking at how to do basic peping in the hopes of maybe making Gungir or EVA shoulders).

I must say I think you did an outstanding job on it. I'm really digging the color scheme as well. Keep up the good work!

damn dude, you're not allowed to look at the elite costumes and judge yourself as nooby, cuz you should be up there with them! This is great man!

definatley not nooby at all my friend :D

of course keep making it perfect for yourself if it makes you happy, but great work non the less :D

out of curiosity... did you get that from WetOkole? Sure looks like it...
Wow, you got a fantastic suit right there. That is elite-level craftsmanship you got.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29633-Recent-Con-pics!
It looks great, but I think it was built for someone shorter than you... but still, nice to see that suit back in action!

Might be him, sure does look like it's one of his.
As for the length issue, I could always just chop of a piece of my legs, not like I use em anyways.

You could improve the fit by buying some nylon straps and side release buckles off amazon or something. You could hoist up the shoulders by strapping them to the chest, and you could keep the thighs up by strapping them to the belt. Mainly the problem looks to be that the suit was originally on somebody a few inches shorter than you, and will need fine tuning. It took me 2 hours of walking around in my armor to get the fitting just right, and it still makes me sore after I take it off.

You could improve the fit by buying some nylon straps and side release buckles off amazon or something. You could hoist up the shoulders by strapping them to the chest, and you could keep the thighs up by strapping them to the belt. Mainly the problem looks to be that the suit was originally on somebody a few inches shorter than you, and will need fine tuning. It took me 2 hours of walking around in my armor to get the fitting just right, and it still makes me sore after I take it off.

Thanks for the advice, I've found out only slightly after the con how the leg parts were supposed to connect to the waist part (I was so doing it wrong) because I learned since then how to "hoist" it up it's no longer so saggy.

I've been working on the groin piece to stop dropping down (I shortened the straps in half and then it fitted me much better, I might still look into the buckles you mentioned, sounds like a much stronger/safer mechanism then the Velcro (not to mention more esthetically pleasing).

As for the chest I made a small attachment to the spine of the undersuit and the backplate so that it has more of a straight look instead of sagging down at the front,my mid section seems to be slightly to wide so my lower sides don't quite fit in all the way and the front plate somewhat grinds on my ribs (this might just be the undersuit making me slightly bigger).

Finally the shoulders, I've considered what you mentioned (hooking them to the chest so that they stay higher in place), but I want to try and pep my own shoulders so that not only it gets a more custom feel but so that it's my own size (if I were to firmly flex my biceps I'd run out of space while in the undersuit).
But failing that I might just do as you say and attach them to the chest piece or strap them via 1 long band over my neck/back (seen other members recommend this).

As for a progress of the newer parts,I think the person whom I contacted for the kukri either missed my PM or refused to deal with a non infantrymen, blackula said he'd ship out the helmet later this week and I'll take pictures as I fight my way through that and for the rifle, I contacted thorssoli and we're discussing shipping/payment now.

SO there is progress even thou right now it's all just smoke and mirrors!

Updates~
84998c70.jpg

61c7f889.jpg

1be6f4b4.jpg

3520f9ae.jpg

first pep didn't turn out that bad, did take me a while to get the scaling right (thanks for the guide halogoddess)
39ef212a.jpg

Currently epoxying the shoulder layer by layer, if it turns out good I'll advance if not back to the learning how 2 pep table.
3d9415d2.jpg

Nice pepwork man. but how does this epoxy thing work, or is it just fiber glass resin?

I'm epoxying the outside and fiberglassing the inside, the keeps it more smooth for when I start to slap bondo on it.
You essentially smear it on in layers which gradually makes it harder thats about it (more experienced members might want to expand on this seeing as I'm a nubbin myself)

I'm epoxying the outside and fiberglassing the inside, the keeps it more smooth for when I start to slap bondo on it.
You essentially smear it on in layers which gradually makes it harder thats about it (more experienced members might want to expand on this seeing as I'm a nubbin myself)

okay but how strong is it? is it better than just resin on the outside, and do you use the epoxy that comes in the syringe type container

okay but how strong is it? is it better than just resin on the outside, and do you use the epoxy that comes in the syringe type container
I'm using albestine epoxy (epoxy + hardener) and albestine fiberglass mats (not sure if it's a known brand overseas) from what I can tell it's weaker then full on casted pieces but at the same time much lighter, I guess it's a preference for those whom have the option.

It feels fairly sturdy after 3 layers of outer epoxy and 1 full inner fiberglass coating, I think it might need 1 maybe 2 more layers before it's ready for the bondo treatment.

Shoulder 1 done shoulder 2 being pepped payed for an AR from thorssoli so far so good
bd6d3518.jpg

cd8c2cec.jpg

6023c8ed.jpg

Suggestions/advice/critic welcomed with open arms.

Looking good. I like the exposed metal effect on the front. Looking forward to seeing how this build turns out. Keep building.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back