ODST Squad Build: 4 suits B4 the Halo 4 release!

Status
Not open for further replies.

higdog827

AS OF 6/7/12, THE MICKEY SUIT IS DONE! SKIP TO THE LATEST PAGE FOR MORE RECENT PROGRESS.
devin.jpg

Original first post from 11/3/11:
Hey Everybody! I apologize for the cheesy thread title, but I couldnt resist. I just finished up my Masterchief build, and Im jumping right into my next challenge: me and three friends are going to attempt to complete Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, and Rookie suits. Unfortunately, Im the only one in the group with armoring experience, so they'll just be helping me out here and there. But a little help is better than none at all right? The deadline: the Halo 4 release. Im going to be Romeo, since hes my favorite character in ODST, and the guy who's making the armor pretty much gets first pick of what suit he wants. ;)
Ive started my suit first, and so far, I have the left gauntlet pepped.

111102_003.jpg

111102_004.jpg

111102_006.jpg

Squadlayout405th.jpg

This is the planed layout of our squad. I censored last names for our own well-being.

And of course, I have to give credit where credit is due. All the files Im using except for the helmets (which are Kirrou's) are Hugh's. And Ive gotta say, you two are freaking awesome!

Ok everyone, fasten your seatbelts, because this is going to be a bumpy ride. Ive divided it up, and I have approximately three and a half months to finish each suit. Its going to be tough, but Ill get by with a little help from my friends.
Stay tuned everyone, this is gonna get cool.

Personally, I think you should make your buddies work for their money, make them cut the pieces! Bwahahaha! Anyway I'll be following along, I hope to see where this thread goes.

Wow, its been close to a month since I updated this thread! Believe me, this project is far from dead, and Ive been working here and there on it. Ive just been EXTREMELY busy lately. first, being the big CoD fan that I am, I took a little hiatus in honor of MW3. Then there was a massive influx of schoolwork that has since subsided. Then thanksgiving of course.

My most recent (and ridiculous) setback in all of this just occurred today. My glue gun exploded. Not joking, I had it plugged in for a while today, then all of a sudden I heard that unmistakable noise. the sound of something electric dying. Then, out of nowhere, my glue gun burst into flames. So there I was, sitting in my living room with a flaming glue gun sitting on my table. So I frantically blew on it until the fire was out, grabbed the glue gun, soaked it in wated to cool it off, then set it on the concrete outside.
tl;dr: Im out a glue gun.

But I do have a few things for you. Since the last post, Ive finished the other forearm, and Im just about finished with one of the shin and knee pieces. Of course due to my glue gun situation, I wont be able to finish the shin until I get a new one (hopefully that will be soon ...). But for now, heres the other forearm:

111106_002.jpg

111106_001.jpg

111106_003.jpg

Ok, now that I have more time to work on this build, Ill be updating waaay more often. stay tuned everybody!]

Ok, Got the shin done!
111126_001.jpg

111126_002.jpg

111126_003.jpg

Got the belt buckle done too!
111128_001.jpg

111128_002.jpg

Thats it for now, next up are the thighs, I just need to get some more foam. Thanks!

Ok, Instead of making the thighs next like I said before, I acquired a Nerf longshot from a friend and decided to modify it into the sniper rifle for my Romeo suit. While it ended up looking a lot more like the sniper from Reach, I really dont care because it came out awesome!

nerf-longshot.jpg

This is the original longshot. I totally stripped the front section untill it was just the plastic tube.

111207_005.jpg

The scope, and a steampunk nerf maverick Im also working on in the background

111213_007.jpg

111213_008.jpg

111213_009.jpg

111213_010.jpg

The addition to the bottom was made of 1/4" PVC conduit and the brace is two clamps for the pipe glued together.

111213_011.jpg

111213_012.jpg

111213_013.jpg

I know its not 100% game accurate, but its close, and Im happy with that. Im hoping the thighs will be next, but we'll see what happens. As always, thanks for checking it out!

Subscribed! I know your pain with the random mishaps, for the life of me I can't get the darn printer to work! and now the stupid thing was on fire! Intentionally! haha I guess that leaves me to converting my pdo's to pdf's so my dad can print 'em out at his work! :p anyway, get to it dude, push toward the mark! I bet you can get at least your own suit done, maybe all four if you commission your friends to help! lol good luck!

Subscribed! I know your pain with the random mishaps, for the life of me I can't get the darn printer to work! and now the stupid thing was on fire! Intentionally! haha I guess that leaves me to converting my pdo's to pdf's so my dad can print 'em out at his work! :p anyway, get to it dude, push toward the mark! I bet you can get at least your own suit done, maybe all four if you commission your friends to help! lol good luck!

Ill definately have my suit done, its the other 3 im worried about. See I was originally planning on molding all the pieces, that way id be able to make the suits really quickly, but I think I underestimated the cost it would take to mold the things, so that may not work.

Ill definately have my suit done, its the other 3 im worried about. See I was originally planning on molding all the pieces, that way id be able to make the suits really quickly, but I think I underestimated the cost it would take to mold the things, so that may not work.
yea, I'm only a noob on here, I just started working on mine, but I'm experimenting with foam, I haven't tried molding yet, but that makes sense it would make it faster for standard parts, like the gauntlets, thighs, helmets and the like.

yea, I'm only a noob on here, I just started working on mine, but I'm experimenting with foam, I haven't tried molding yet, but that makes sense it would make it faster for standard parts, like the gauntlets, thighs, helmets and the like.

Yes, unfortuanately its turning out to be too expensive, so unless I can find a cheaper alternative, I may have to scrap the molding idea.

this is an awesome idea man =D and so far everything is looking really good
keep up the great work and can't wait to see the finished suits =D

yea, I've looked into it once or twice, but i've seen mention of triple digit cost. I'm trying to spend as less money as I can on my suit and see how awesome it looks. I believe I've spent 80 or so on it, that's cardstock, resin, fiberglass mat. So I'm expecting probably around the 100 mark just for mine. but good luck, even if you can't get all 4 done, you can at least get yours done. If your friends want to be a part that badly, I would suggest they start workin lol..

yea, I've looked into it once or twice, but i've seen mention of triple digit cost. I'm trying to spend as less money as I can on my suit and see how awesome it looks. I believe I've spent 80 or so on it, that's cardstock, resin, fiberglass mat. So I'm expecting probably around the 100 mark just for mine. but good luck, even if you can't get all 4 done, you can at least get yours done. If your friends want to be a part that badly, I would suggest they start workin lol..

Yeah, the cost im looking at to get the whole thing molded is probably around $500 or so (But if someone more experienced with molding has a better estimate, please let me know), and im really not willing to put that much into it unless I have at least five people lined up who are willing to buy suits. But yeah, $100 is a pretty good estimate for a suit of MARK VI armor. mine cost just under $100 and its pretty darn good if you ask me.

IMG_0138.jpg

In this business, a little can go a long way if you know what you're doing.

well, nobody asked you!!! hahahahah jk that armor is how I want mine to look, it looks good, of course I plan on doing other stuff to mine, like LEDs or something of that nature, but base suit, 100 I think I can do it. of course, I'm going with MK 5 with hazops for a helm, and then some later additions.

Ok everyone, Ive got a whole lot to show you today. Since the last update, ive finished the left thigh, the chest core, 2 of the 5 chest asset things, the left and right hip plats, and the front hip plate, all out of foam. I decided to do all these out of foam because it was both easier to make them using foam, and they will be much more comfortable to wear (especially in the case of the chest core).

THIGH PIECE:
120105_002.jpg

120105_001.jpg

120105_003.jpg

120105_004.jpg

120105_005.jpg

120105_008.jpg

CHEST CORE:
120112_004.jpg

120112_007.jpg

120112_005.jpg

120112_006.jpg

120112_008.jpg

120113_00.jpg

120112_003.jpg

[CONTINUED IN NEXT POST]

CHEST ASSSETS
120114_001.jpg

120114_002.jpg

120114_004.jpg

120114_005.jpg

120114_006.jpg

HIP PLATES
120115_001.jpg

120115_003.jpg

120115_005.jpg

FRONT CROTCH PLATE
120115_002.jpg

120115_004.jpg

120115_006.jpg

Next up, I’m going to have to make the opposite thigh piece, then I’ll get started on either the chest plate or the sniper shoulder piece, Im planning on doing the helmet last. As always, thanks for checking it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back