Building a UNSC Frigate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely beautiful! Went through the whole thread, but I couldn't find any mentioning of fibreglass or resin. With what did you glue it?
Have you ever thought of making an rc plane of some air/space vehicle from the Halo universe? That would be THE, BEST ;D

Absolutely beautiful! Went through the whole thread, but I couldn't find any mentioning of fibreglass or resin. With what did you glue it?
Have you ever thought of making an rc plane of some air/space vehicle from the Halo universe? That would be THE, BEST ;D

Thanks for asking, i use Amazing Goop to glue it together and i have never used resin or fiberglass (perhaps for my next costume) The rigidity of the matte board is usually enough, that it can take some stress.

A Pelican would be awesome as an R/C, but i'm a bit limited in my abilities right now. :b

Not really related to the frigate, but something i'm also working on in my spare time. It's the emblem i use for the Halo games, i made templates of it and after i finish sewing it, i'll sew it onto the other shoulder.

[Painting of the frigate will start monday]

10130-patch.jpg

the frigate looks boss dude! keep it up! also are those emblems patches for armor, or just random patches on clothes?

Sweet! representin the Halo Universe on normal everyday clothes! you should totally compete with A.E. and Aeropostale!! haha :) Merry Christmas dude!

Merry....er...After Christmas everyone!!! :[ ]

Well, construction on the Frigate just wraped up a half hour ago. Which brings the number of work hours to around 180. Tomorrow i'll be putting on two coats of silver spray paint, on thursday i'll brush the grey paint on, friday i'll paint the details and saturday the clear lacquer goes on. After which my nearly two month labor of love will finally be completed!!

I'll post pictures late tomorrow after the silver has been applied.

Stage one of the painting process is complete, with a layer of silver spray paint now dry i can start painting the grey and black on. ^^

10250-update-x.jpg

10251-update-x-b.jpg

10252-update-x-c.jpg

10253-update-x-d.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Just a quick update on my progress from saturday, the top picture has the first layer of grey paint. (It looks a bit like a crashed alien ship with a burnt hull) The bottom picture is with the second layer of grey and dark grey details. A few more hours of painting, a layer or two of clear lacquer and the frigate is done!

10334-update-xi.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. Major kudos to you! Is there anyway we can get a few more shots to really get all of its beauty?

That is looking very nice, many kudos to you.
To make the bass relief and inset details really stand out you can paint the tiny ridges with flat black to augment the shadows. It adds a lot of time to the painting process but is well worth it.

WOW! The UNSC Frigate looks really cool. However I must say I liked the burnt paint job better as it makes the ship look more rugged and battle torn. Awesome...

Thank you for the comments and suggestions everyone! I underestimated the time it would take to paint the hundreds of missile ports, which are now done, so the last details to finish are the UNSC emblems on either side of the stern. Combine with the two layers of lacquer, i will officially be finished and have pictures up mid thursday! (keep an eye out) ^^

The Frigate has been completed! I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words and suggestions given over the two months it took to build this model, i really appreciated it!

:231 hours of work
:8 sheets of matteboard
:7 tubes of amazing goop
:1 sheet of posterboard
:3 layers of paint
:2 layers of lacquer
:Some Blood
:A little Sweat
:No Tears
:Lots of elbow grease

The final result is just beautiful, the lacquer adds a nice shine and outines the scored details on the surface. I decided to make a stand for it, simulating a section of paneling with scratched paint over metal, a little plaque giving the name of the ship, and i made a M.A.C. round out of the brass end of my paintbrush. I assembled most of the pictures into one collage to save on upload space, but they are still a decent size, so i reccoment saving the picture and viewing it later up close. The second picture i took for the purpose of cutting it out and painting a background for. I chose a red sun because with the red panels i used during the shoot, it formed a red outline around the ship, so this seemed to be the best choice of backdrop. ^^

Tell me what you think!

UNSC_WINTEROFDISCONTENT.jpg

WINTEROFDISCONTENT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back