Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the youtube link he said: i made it in 2 weeks
2 weeks my ass, that can only be true if he worked on it 2 weeks without sleeping at all
Not sure, but I think this guy "Anthonyle247" actually made a job out of prop building. I'm not 100% sure but I think he gets payed to make costumes. He's kind of a veteran.
I think his helmet is great but your foam build is going to blow the rest of his suit out of the water

Here it is :)

All made but now I am gonna head down stairs and start learning how to do finer detailing with the soldering iron. I can not mess that bit up or its almost start again.........:angry

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Here is the helmet once I burnt the detailing in. I must admit I photoshoped the drawn on guide lines off because they looked kinda like the burned in lines and wanted to show what it will look like once painted.

540877744ea016cf1174b2f490f0aece-1.jpg

IMG_0256-1.jpg

*ahem* elite section please?

I would LOVE that but early days yet. I have a track record of making suits half way then starting new ones so......I am how ever gonna finish this one cause it's so fun to build. I have got my electronics guy on the case for the lighting now too. Hopefully the top half of my under suit will turn up next week as it's a week overdue already. On Tuesday I will start paint tests. Found chrome in a can. Really hoping it doesn't crack when flexed cause will look SAWEET for the metallic parts.

Oh yeah BTW guys any one doing foam builds its all in the blade. I used about 30 fresh blades to get such clean cuts on the helmet. So for my first foam build pointer ALWAYS USE FRESH BLADES for the bits that matter. Straight lines I clip in an old blade cause they are sharp enough. Any details/hard curves use fresh blades.

it looks elite, but i think the forum waits until you are infantrymen to do that.
i have seen people who use a heated blade to cut (a blade extension on a soldering bolt), i think you wil need lesser blades that way.

Yeah I looked into the heat knives and now I am getting serious about the complexity of the build I am probably going to invest in one. Had a box of blades already so thought I may as well use them up.

Regarding the elite thing I don't mind where my build is positioned really. I am just happy to be able to show people what I am up to and if I can help out where I can with any questions.

Wow utterly outstanding! I wish I had your eye and skill for the amount of detail you have in this. Well done. Very Well done.

This has got to be the best foam helmet I've seen. Did you freehand it or do you have templates? If you do have templates can you share where you got them of how you made them?

Yeah the helmet is the only part I have used pepakura for. How ever! They are really well made but not perfect so some alteration is needed. If you goto 4shared.com and in the search bar type "iron man pdo" you will get every pepakura file you could ever need for iron man builds. Same works for anything that people might have PEPed, just make sure PDO is in the search title.

Also thank you so much for your kind words guys. I must say after a hard day at work there is nothing better than coming home to people being happy at my existence I work in a restaurant and people are not so kinda there.

So The next stage to my helmet was to seal the foam up with PVA. I applied 2 coats all over and for the visor I have mixed black poster paint and PVA together and used that as an undercoat as I always found when painting silver it got a better finish that way.

IMG_0260.jpg

Yeah much faster! I am sure if I was to try to custom build the helmet templates I would have been there for ever. The suit its self should be fairly straight forward apart from the knees, Boots and shoulder/neck area. All because of movement issues they might create. I am quite confident that I have good enough solutions in my head its just putting it into practice that will prove fun.

Quick update on the paint job.

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Now I need to find a good metallic red that will flex. Will start working on the lighting next week got a busy week and the project has to be put on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back