Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
are those small lines on the pain job due to the fact that the brush left those behind while you painted on the pva? if so how would you try to smooth it out because plasti dip is expensive but gets that smooth finish :(

There is slight streaking when doing the sealing coat, not to bad though. I would use the plastidip but really want to keep costs down as my baby is due in 2 months. I would prefer it to look perfect but that's price I am paying for being cheap.

Bought some thin plain (nice and cheap) black shoes today, my feet are very broad. I was going to make the shoes from foam but they would probably tear over time. So gunna remove the laces, add some elastic then add the bits to the shoes with some Velcro added. Can't do any work on them yet though as away for a break with the wife's family.

Can't wait to get back on it. While I been on my break away I have done some extensive reading and going to start again on the paint job using my plasti dip for my terminator build as an undercoat to get a smoother finish as Golem95 pointed out.

ive been thinking what if you use a pallet knife to spread the glue onto the surface? itd eliminate streaking and you could still use pva glue :D
think itd work? btw a pallet knife is the tool wood workers use to spread gap filler smoothly onto a surface incase you didnt know :p
DSC_02270001.JPG

Cheers for that golem but the problem with that method I think would be the intricate parts. I was watching a tutorial HERE as you can see I was half way there but using the plastidip should be the answer to a smoother finish.

yeah his seems to have significantly less streaking, how did you hide your seams so well? its dissapeared i swear! :D
also i was looking at his helmet and thinking wow thats got a perfect surface pretty much and wondered why i bothered with sculpting when i couldve done it outa of foam, but on a closer look at it its surface still isnt as smooth and perfect as i originally thought :p

Ok, just got back from my break away so started on the feet. Before I post pics up some answers for you golem. I get nice clean seams by making sure I use nice sharp blades and cut very precise. Immediately after gluing 2 bits together I squeeze the glue so it comes out of the seam a little and pinch so that the two edges marry perfectly. Yes this does mean some burning of fingers but I have worked in restaurants/kitchens for nearly 20 years now so am used to it.

I have done my 2 coats of plastidip today and a base coat of red on the helmet. So far the red looks really nice but the surface isn't perfectly smooth for the silver to look flat. I know how to achieve a nice smooth faceplate now but would mean starting again and can't be bothered at this stage so will make do with what I've got until one day when I decide to redo it from scratch.

So here are the pics of what I knocked up this afternoon. Needs some work on the bridge of the foot. Might even cut it out and redo it as needs to be a bit higher.

foot.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

I've got into a habit of checking this thread every day haha. Just wondering, will you be attending MCM expo in May? I'd absolutely love to see the finished thing in person XD
Keep it up!

ALL PAINTED! :)

IMG_0282.jpg

Got DBmike on the electronics for the eyes so hopefully by the end of the week they will be finished too. I had to cut the faceplate out as masking tape kept pulling the paint off. This turned out to be a bonus as getting the lighting in should be much easier now. Going to glue it back in and black line it once the eyes are finished.

As much as I would love to I have my first baby due in march so not going to do much at all this year. Next year how ever I will insist that my wife lets me attend it cause turning up at morrisons suited up isn't really what I am into. Maybe once my child is about 4 and we can both go suited up to the supermarket together then I will :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow man very well done, you have a very great talent keep up the great work an i am looking forward to see the full suite :)

hey, can you tell me more about how you will insert the lights?
i' making an iron man helmet myself, and i want as much visibility as possible, but maybe with led's in
cd43fdd6.jpg

excellent work friend, congratulations on your baby and enjoy, being a parent is the best, I tell you I'm going to be a father for the fifth time

Thank you guys :) Not really sure how I am going to do the lights yet. Last of the components turned up yesterday so after I finish decorating the nursery I am going to tackle it. Will update this post with how I have done it with pics, diagrams and explanations for you spartenx.

Just came across this build today. I have to say it's very impressive. You are a foam master. I don't see many (in fact I'm trying hard to think of any) foam helmets, but you sir have achieved perfection.

Just came across this build today. I have to say it's very impressive. You are a foam master. I don't see many (in fact I'm trying hard to think of any) foam helmets, but you sir have achieved perfection.

I must say that i agree with Jonus

Well my mate got carried away and ordered far too powerfull LEDs. I love um! Just need more power so I got him to teach me electronics and I've ordered a bunch more bits. Won't be done till next week end so getting back on the suit again. Hopefully will have the neck finished off tonight (sans paint).

Neck finished. Needs some paint but a bit late for that here so will do that tomorrow. Fits really nicely with the helmet and I have enough movement, not as much as I would like but never mind.

IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg

Velcro tabs below are set in recesses so the parts line up nice and flush.

IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg

Green parts will be painted black. Red parts red.

IMG_0299.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg

Not sure how to approach the spine leading up the back of the neck but that should solve its self once I have more parts made that fit around it.

Started making a mannequin ages ago but no idea where the skin for it is so am going to make a torso mannequin this evening. My wife will have fun wrapping me in tape :D

Mannequin torso finished. Starting to get more done now.

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Will be attaching the bits straight onto the top the mannequin is wearing. Only placed down for now till I know everything is going to work together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back