Emile Foam Build (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpool5

Jr Member
TO ALL NOOBS: YOU CAN STILL POST COMMENTS HERE, YOU JUST CAN'T START A THREAD.

So far here's what I have done It will stay up-to-date:

Progression.jpg

Forearms : Foamed
Biceps :Incomplete
Chest :WIP
Helmet :Incomplete
Thighs :Foamed
Shins :One is done
Cod :Incomplete
Boots :Incomplete
Hand Plates :Incomplete

Hey guys, for those new welcome to my build thread, I am building Emiles armor out of foam. For those following in my old thread, this is a fresh start without my previous stuff :p (Come one we all know it was a piece :p)

This is my first time with foam, and I gotta say, Im likin' it! A lot better than pepakura, mainly because I can start to see results faster than peping, which for me tells me I am making progress, which helps. Unfortunately I will not be able to avoid Pepakura for long, until the helmet comes at least... I don't have much, but here it is!

So my previous attempt was with cardboard... here's the comparision:
photo-45.jpg

photo-46.jpg

Both done, One will have the shells
photo-47.jpg

I don't have a deadline so detail is 100% go, but school will be starting up soon so that will slow me in the near future, sorry it's not much now, I have the right thigh half done, I'll finish it tomorrow and post some pics!

Any questions? Feel free to ask! Any suggestions? Suggest away!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow you guys are killing me, Sorry for the double post, but can we look past it for updates?

I finished the Right Thigh as promised, I still have to fill in some small areas, but it's done, here are the pics:

photo-49.jpg

photo-50.jpg

photo-53.jpg

lookin good deadpool, I might be asking you a couple questions here in the near future since I believe I'm gonna go foam for my Torso.

k cool, it will probably be general foaming questions. lol

General? Then you could ask now...

Update time! I finished the left thigh, and here is the results:

Both of em
photo-55.jpg

Some of the detail on it, I know there's a part where the glue is heavy,but it wouldn't stay together so I needed to lather it on to hold it still.
photo-54.jpg

photo-53.jpg

And some sizing, to show you how it fits.
photo-56.jpg

And my favorite, I brought some drinks with me so I didn't have to go upstairs, and I totally forgot I had them, so every time I came back down stairs, a new one came with me :p
photo-57.jpg

whenever you do detail pieces, you just chop up the scraps and use them? I have been looking at BenStreeper's foam armoring thread, so I have most questions answered now, I'm just stuck at a crossroads of whether to do my torso in pep or foam.. :p I'm going with lex's ver 4 pep, and it isn't really a whole lot to it, there are some pretty small pieces, but nothing I haven't already gone through with my helm, but foam is so much faster I hear.. lol :p I'm doin the torso last anyway, I guess I'll just see if I wanna pep when I get everything else done.

looking gooooood man!
just a tip though; be a little more patient gluing your pieces together. glue it and then hold it tightly together until the glue dries. its rare that it will come apart if you do, but it could still happen.
super stoked on your build though dude!

looking gooooood man!
just a tip though; be a little more patient gluing your pieces together. glue it and then hold it tightly together until the glue dries. its rare that it will come apart if you do, but it could still happen.
super stoked on your build though dude!

Thx, I'll try to wait a bit longer next time. I do wait for it to dry, but I must not wait long enough. Also, I will be smoothing out the seams later on.

whatre you going to use for the seams? at first i let glue stick out and tried to do away with it using a rotary tool buuuuut...all it did was melt the glue onto the bit.
now im out one sanding bit hahaha.
as for caulking, it worked just not as good as i wouldve like. let me know what you use and how it goes.

dang really good foam work man =D really like it
good luck and keep up the great work

Thanks all, My plan is to seal all the seams eventually,and I think I know how I'm going to do it! Should have a lot more progress today. Also, my friends are trying to go to a con here in Edmonton, and I'm gonna have to help a little bit to get them on the right track, so there may be a slow in my progress on Emile.

Keep building

You did say you wanted some suggestions, right?
To achieve nice seams you have a couple options:
Firstly use a metal ruler and hotknife, crisp edges look so much nicer. For cuts where you are going to put an angle on the back you only need to use the hotknife for the first 2 or 3mm (1/8th inch) and then hack the rest of the way with scissors or utility knife.
Secondly when you glue the seam apply heavier amounts of glue along the edge closer to the back of the foam about halfway of the thickness, then apply a lighter but even amount to the front edge. Press the finish edges together first, then press the entire edge firmly and hold for at least 20 seconds, preferably in front of a fan. The excess glue should squirt out the back of the seam rather then the front if done properly and the small amounts that do squirt out the front will be pinched very thin and easy to pick off with fingernails before the glue fully sets or minor enough to be smoothed later with the tip of the gluegun once it has fully set (about 15 minutes or put the part in your freezer for a few minutes)
Thirdly, if you are clever enough you can join the pep files prior to cutting the foam in key areas and then carve out the back of the foam along the join line in a V shape until you are happy with the final shape.
Lastly, you can fill seams with plastidip or flexable spot putty, to a certain degree. You will need to follow the first 3 steps to achieve epic-ness with filler.
For exposed edges cut all the way through with the hotknife and lightly sand with 320 grit sandpaper on a block.
See the links in my sig for more tips.
Good luck and happy armoring!

You did say you wanted some suggestions, right?
To achieve nice seams you have a couple options:
Firstly use a metal ruler and hotknife, crisp edges look so much nicer. For cuts where you are going to put an angle on the back you only need to use the hotknife for the first 2 or 3mm (1/8th inch) and then hack the rest of the way with scissors or utility knife.
Secondly when you glue the seam apply heavier amounts of glue along the edge closer to the back of the foam about halfway of the thickness, then apply a lighter but even amount to the front edge. Press the finish edges together first, then press the entire edge firmly and hold for at least 20 seconds, preferably in front of a fan. The excess glue should squirt out the back of the seam rather then the front if done properly and the small amounts that do squirt out the front will be pinched very thin and easy to pick off with fingernails before the glue fully sets or minor enough to be smoothed later with the tip of the gluegun once it has fully set (about 15 minutes or put the part in your freezer for a few minutes)
Thirdly, if you are clever enough you can join the pep files prior to cutting the foam in key areas and then carve out the back of the foam along the join line in a V shape until you are happy with the final shape.
Lastly, you can fill seams with plastidip or flexable spot putty, to a certain degree. You will need to follow the first 3 steps to achieve epic-ness with filler.
For exposed edges cut all the way through with the hotknife and lightly sand with 320 grit sandpaper on a block.
See the links in my sig for more tips.
Good luck and happy armoring!

Wow thanks! I don't have a heat knife, but I will use the ruler with a utility knife... And I'll probably end up using epoxy, of something similar...But I'll make sure to test it first, so I don't screw up :D

I do have a small update... I finished one shin, and started on the chest piece (sorry no pics of the chest) And have a side project some friends and I are working on in my IA class, any guesses? Whoever guesses right gets a cookie :p
photo-63.jpg

photo-62.jpg

photo-61.jpg

Can anyone guess what might be included? :p
photo-64.jpg

nice foam shin
i will take a guess, either LED lights or some kind of voice changer

keep it up man =D

nice foam shin
i will take a guess, either LED lights or some kind of voice changer

keep it up man =D

YAY! I am trying to include LEDs to it, however my first attempt did not turn out so well... :( oh well I will learn. Any advice on wiring circuits? Anyone who's used lights, how did you guys do it? thx!

cookie.gif

here you are Roadkill :p

hahaha =D thanks man nom nom nom
for that i think you should ask thatdecade because he knows everything about that electronic LED wiring and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back