FMA Alphonse soul armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know yoga mats are thinner than EVA foam, but I don't think it can hold on to the shapes though. Don Robert, I believe he is from Philippines, make insane costumes. He uses some kind of rubber that I don't think we can find here. Hope this helps.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...NMAN-10.10.10-(not-fiberglass...it-s-rubber!)

oooh wow thats good! Id love to find the stuff he is using, Im heading out tomorrow to look at different materials, floor mats, yoga stuff, and general rubber stuff to use, Id like to find something around 5mm for the helmet and some thinner stuff to add details to the armor parts, I really need to find some paint I can use that will flex a bit.

Well I found the perfect stuff for the helmet, its about 5mm, half the thickness of the normal stuff and its still has the same strength! Its actually just the same stuff but I got a lot of it, about 9 ft by 4 ft.
2012-02-07160544.jpg

So I got a bit of progress done with the new half thickness foam, I started with the helmet

I re pep'd all the parts, making sure they all lay flat, then traced them out on the foam
2012-02-08002104.jpg

then I cut out all the parts and started assembly......then I got a text to go see the new Underworld movie and off I went lol, BUT i got back in time to work on it a bit more and got most of the front finished
2012-02-08025837.jpg

2012-02-08025858.jpg

still fits like a glove
2012-02-08030201.jpg

Is it okay that I laugh because from what I see, your hair is the same as Alphonse's? haha
Great work so far!
I can't wait for more!

-Alexis

hehehe I didnt even notice! I guess thats a plus if I have to take the helmet off.

I didnt get much work done though, ive been jumping around the forum trying to figure out the best way to seal and paint this once its finished, are there any tut out there on foam yet that goes over the process?

...are there any tut out there on foam yet that goes over the process?

I cannot recall if there is any tutorial on this subject. The real concern with foam is that it is flexible. Flexing will crack the paint (if the paint sticks at all). Foam also soaks up a lot of paint. To seal foam, I used Plasti-Dip. It prevents the foam to soaks paint and it holds paint really well. You can get Plasti-Dip at Lowes.

Here is the torsos I completed using Plasti-Dip.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...ted-(more-photos-Page-13)?p=543749#post543749

aaaaah! many many thanks CoolC, I love the look of that torso and your kids costumes are quite excellent! I think ill look around for something to fill the small gaps and shape it a little.

my plan right now for "finishing the armor" is to heat shape it all into the correct shape, then rough up the insides of all the parts and using silicon spread a thin coat over the entire area, then ill add my straps and snaps to hold it all together by first gluing them to wire mesh, then embedding that mesh in the silicon, which will hold much like re-barb in concrete. once the silicon sets up it will help hold the foam rigid but flex with it and the straps and snaps will have a fair amount of give to them.

If your talking about the FMA armor then Id have to say yes, as being as screen accurate....if you can even be screen accurate with a cartoon....as possible. I have seen 2 other FMA armor costumes and they have both been pretty poor. I hope that I find some helpful tips working on mine, such as the silicon method I talked about, I hope that works!!

Well I "finished" the foaming of the helmet, needs some glue in some spots and a few final adjustments but its getting there, It doesnt look like a lot of work but I swear it took 5 hours just to get back to go together.

2012-02-12013459.jpg

Thanks, I owe it to my ceramic kitchen knife, cuts through it like butter!

not too much progress today really, just had time enough to start taking apart the torso in the biggest parts possible that I can flatten.

2012-02-13001519.jpg

I'm looking at starting to Do this Build Fiberglass/Bondo style.

You state that you use 15.5 ratio for Head and Chests. You are 5"10, I'm 6'2" Do you feel there is enough room for me with 15.5 or should i go to 15.75?

What all pieces did you papercraft that just did not work out, and need to be Moded?

after much pouring over all kinds of references Im pretty sure I have the correct sizing for the shoulders......pretty sure...I hope. I have the left one completed and just started the right one, im leaving the spikes out because they are a waste of time and will be easier to make out of foam or something like that.

View attachment 155351
View attachment 155352
View attachment 155353

on a side note I have Nintendudes permission to send out the files to people if they want them, I have altered files for the size that works for me if your 5" 10' with broad shoulders.

I know this is probably way too delayed but do you still have the files? I'm hoping to build Alphonse this year and this pep file seems to be a really good starting point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back