Custom Made Darth Vader ROTS WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTINIAN 117

I am making Darth Vader from the Revenge of the Sith. I am trying to make it as exact as possible, but on a very tight budget. I am going to be using Pepakura for a rough draft, and most likely scratch building everything. I will need a lot of help with critiquing everything, so that it comes out very close. Be very honest with how it looks, as I am not as familiar with some of the small details yet.

I already have the bodysuit done.
100_1400.jpg

For a full description of how I made it go here:
Leather undersuit

I started the shins today. I am using pepakura as a rough draft, and I will most likely scratch build the shins. I wanted to be sure I have the right shape and size before I make a final product.
I started out with the printed paper.
100_1498.jpg

I cut all the pieces out.
100_1499.jpg

I used hot glue to assemble it all together.
100_1500.jpg

I used some black spray paint to make the detail look better. Here is my first test fit.
100_1501.jpg

100_1502.jpg

100_1503.jpg

Does this seem to look right. If it looks too wide, it is because I didn't trim the edge down yet, and I will do that after I do the fiberglass. I will be doing a lot of bondo and sanding, so this is just to get the basic shape right. I will do all of the correct fine details later.

Thanks for looking.

Is looking pretty accurate to me. I shall be following this, curious as to how well a Vader works in pep lol
Thank you. So far the pep has been a pain, so I am not sure it is a good method for DV.

I finally finished the chest pep. It took forever. I think I have the size right. I know it is not the correct version, but i will make adjustments from here. I just needed something to build as a base. Let me know what you think.
100_1572.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1575.jpg

100_1576.jpg

Here is a shot of the inside, to show how many pieces were in it.
100_1577.jpg

I am going to spray it with some black primer, so that it shows the detail better. I'll get pictures up later.

Wow, the pep work looks great. I will say, that's a lot of tabs and my fingers now hurt...lol. Keep up the great work Justin!

Here are the pictures with the black primer.
100_1578.jpg

100_1579.jpg

I also got a great birthday present.
100_1583.jpg

100_1581.jpg

100_1582.jpg

The last picture has a better position of the chest. Let me know what you think.

Do you think pepakura or your method that you used for the mkV is better?
Also it doesn't look like it's possible to fit your head through that hole on the chest piece. How do you put it on?

Looks great, insane pepping skill though!
Thanks, this was by far the most difficult pep I have ever done.
Do you think pepakura or your method that you used for the mkV is better?
Also it doesn't look like it's possible to fit your head through that hole on the chest piece. How do you put it on?
I am probably going to start with pepakura, but sand all of the detail off, and use my other method to do the rest. I cut a slit in the back to get my head through.

I resined the outside.
100_1587.jpg

100_1588.jpg

Put 2 layers of fiberglass on the inside.
100_1589.jpg

I cut all of the raised parts off, so that it would all be the same level.
100_1590.jpg

100_1591.jpg

Then used a belt sander to sand it reletively smooth.
100_1592.jpg

Then a layer of rondo on the outside.
100_1593.jpg

100_1594.jpg

I hope to get it sanded in the next day or so.

Thanks for looking.

It is better to bondo/rondo in sections so you don't lose details. At least in my experience it is the case. Good work though.

It is better to bondo/rondo in sections so you don't lose details. At least in my experience it is the case. Good work though.
I actually already cut all of the detail off. It was not the correct version, so I am sanding it all smooth, and then adding the correct detail later. It was also going to be much easier to sand this way.

I started to sand yesterday, and will hopefully have this thing done by the end of next week. Stay tuned for more.

Good start so far...

Usually the term exact Vader and tight budget (or cheap) do not go hand in hand. I am 3 years and way too much money into mine and i am still not finished. However if you need any advice on vader details please let me know and i will help out the best i can....been looking very hard at all 4 versions of vader for the last 3 years.

Good start so far...

Usually the term exact Vader and tight budget (or cheap) do not go hand in hand. I am 3 years and way too much money into mine and i am still not finished. However if you need any advice on vader details please let me know and i will help out the best i can....been looking very hard at all 4 versions of vader for the last 3 years.
Cool. If you see anything that does not look right, please point it out to me right away. I have been doing a lot of studying, but I am still kind of new to Darth Vader 101.

After a long time of sanding I did a quick coat of primer and another quick coat of bondo. Then sanded again.
100_1596.jpg

100_1598.jpg

It came out pretty well, so I did another coat of primer and filled in some of the larger gaps with bondo. I hope to pretty much finish sanding it tomorrow.
100_1599.jpg

Well I pretty much got it all sanded smooth.
100_1600.jpg

100_1603.jpg

I will go back and look at it tomorrow, and also start working on the raised detail.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great so far but how do you plan to get your head thru the neck hole
Most of the time the back part is cut out, so that it is left open. I have not decided weather I will do it that way or put it on some sort of hing, so that it will keep it's shape.

I made some templates of the raised detail on the computer and I think I am pretty pleased with them. This is just paper, so if I need to tweak it more I can.
100_1605.jpg

100_1606.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back