Skyrim Imperial Guard Helmet help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Star

Jr Member
imperialguard.jpg

Hi there , Been awhile since i've posted or been here but know 405th is the only place where to get things done.

Basicly I'm trying to make The imperial Guard Helmet that i've extracted from the game and re-polygon area's from being Triangluate . I dunno wheather to add more detail or use seperate craft foam for the final touches.finishes ramble*

I know how to Unfold in pepakura but the main issue is i'm getting these's odd highlighted parts that can't connect .
File below in OBJ if anyones after it

http://www.4shared.com/file/adYy_5_p/helmetskyrim2.html

Hello,

It looks like you have a few faces that aren't pointed in the right direction, which is why they are gray. First you should look at the direction of your object normals.

A good way to do this in Maya is to turn on backface culling - this makes it so that when you view the object in shaded mode the back sides of every face are see-through. I'm not sure which option does this in Blender and 3DS max but I bet someone on here does.

If the normals are OK, then check for non-manifold geometry - Sometimes, when I get a 3D model handed to me that was made originally in a different package the component information (or 3D object DNA :)) goes funky and weird things happen. Non-manifold geometry can be one of those things. Basically it's when you end up with two faces stacked right on top of one another instead of one. It's easy to fix but hard to spot sometimes. To locate non-manifold geometry in Maya you open up the cleanup command under the mesh menu, activate select non-manifold geometry and hit OK. Whatever faces that are left selected are your trouble spots. To fix in Maya, delete the trouble face/faces and use append poly to fill in the gap left over.

Another reason you may be seeing the red lines is because the four vertices of those faces aren't merged (or welded) to their buddies in the same spots. So your object is considered open. Again, if that face isn't pointed in the same direction as it's neighbors (inverted normals) the verts won't merge and you'll have red lines (indicating a floating face) and gray color (indicating the back side of the face)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
A good way to do this in Maya is to turn on backface culling - this makes it so that when you view the object in shaded mode the back sides of every face are see-through. I'm not sure which option does this in Blender and 3DS max.

In blender just go to textured view.Or Edit Buttons -> mesh tools 1 panel -> draw normals.

For a quick recalculation of your normals just hit ctrl-shift-N (works better even then studio max it's recalculate normals tool

In Studio max you can see it standard in the viewport. And if you don't see it. Make a material that doesn't have both sided ticked on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back