KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys...sorry for vanishing into the void! I just got back from vacation and have been catching up on work/life stuff.

Buuut...I'm back now and thank you for checking out the build and all of the comments :). They are very much appreciated!

this build is amazing. LOVING the under-armor especially. Great job so far
Thank you! Your Carter build is awesome :)

I showed my wife the picture of your boots and now she wants me to make her a pair. It's a small step but maybe just maybe I might be able to get her to start building armor, and hopefully she will stop calling me a dork for building armor.
Seconded! Wanted the same for my wife to start doing this too
Haha, that's great! :)

I am not a fan of high heels, but these babys are righteous! :) great job
Thank you, sir! Once it's all said and done, I think it'll be very hard to tell there are heels under there!

So I noticed a pattern here, And I might of not read something here. But do you only update on sundays??
Hahah, yes indeed there is a pattern. You are correct that I pretty much only update on Sundays. I work a lot of hours during the week, so I usually only get a chance to work on the build for a little while during the weekend :)

Well whaddaya know...newsprint patterns. THANKS!
Haha, no prob.

Good Golly Miss Molly!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the Heck have I been?!?!?!?! I've been focused on my son's build and I guess I've just missed this thread before in searches for things. Today I was looking for undersuit ideas and you nailed it. I'm definitely with Alix965 on the pic. LOL!!!!! This will definitely help me out and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks so much for posting everything you have. It will help tremendously.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a question related to your stitching.
I may have missed it earlier in your build, but in this pic

Are the seams on the shoulder & elbow areas on the vinyl in particular . . . . are the lines just really small zig zags for effect or did you do something else and join separate pieces together?
Again, great Great GREAT work!!!!! Lovin' it!!!!
Glad it's helpful :). And yes, the seams on the shoulder/elbow areas are really small zig zags. The vinyl pieces are basically appliques on the stretchy material.

You have your booties! 8D Girly and kick-butt at the same time!
Hehe, gotta kick butt like a lady!

My goodness, I'm late to the party.

Fantastic work. I am especially inspired to make a new undersuit after seeing your work (I definitely need something that breathes better than what I have now)!

Certainly looking forward to seeing it all finished. :D

Just stumbled onto this thread via Google and had to register on this forum just to say, keep up the amazing work!!!! Definitely an awe inspiring build. Can't wait to see the completed suit.

--Subscribed!
Thank you guys :)

Think you could link the Femme Cod piece for me? I can't seem to find any valid files (Reach version please!)
if not mistaken i think lil does most of her work freehand, so there might not be a pep file for it...and even if she started with a base pep file it has been modified to look the way it does
Edit: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35790-KAT-ARMOR-BUILD-with-custom-undersuit-*WIP*/page19 you can view her process on the cod piece here.

Dhamone is correct...all of the pieces are made from scratch (except for the front of the chest), so there are no pep files :(.

-----

Alrighty...it's Sunday, and I'm back...which means...

It's UPDATE TIME!

I scrounged some time and managed to wrap up the back of the first boot, and put together the second boot. I still need to add the sole, but here's what I've got:
Post_Boots_00.jpg

As I mentioned before, the base shoes are still removable from the foam boots. The whole boot hinges in half so that the shoes can easily slide in and out. Veclro tabs along the slit and a clip on the edge of the front cover keep the boot securely shut when the shoe is in:
Post_Open_00.jpg

So, part of the reason I went with wedges was to give me extra height. But, I also wanted the overall footprint of the shoe to be smaller, and more proportionately accurate. Here's a shot of the foam boot next to one of my regular sneakers for scale:
Post_Scale_00.jpg

And don't worry, that's a man hand...not mine, lol.

-----
Boots are done until I order some sole material...sooo...on to the calves! Dun dun dun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, part of the reason I went with wedges was to give me extra height. But, I also wanted the overall footprint of the shoe to be smaller, and more proportionately accurate. Here's a shot of the foam boot next to one of my regular sneakers for scale:
Post_Scale_00.jpg

And don't worry, that's a man hand...not mine, lol.

Grif: "I think it looks more like a puma."

:p

*crawls back under rock*

Truely amazing work as always hun! I think you should do us a video tutorial of how you make such beautiful pieces. I know many out there would benefit from your technique.

Keep up the great work,
Tom.

Thanks everyone for the continued support. It means a lot :)

-----
Nice job LilTyrant!! :D
Thank you :). I just saw the finished pics you posted, and your suit came out incredibly awesome!

those look totally epic. My mind cannot even fathom how you are able to do such detailed pieces.
Thanks! It takes a bit of planning...and lots of time! I try to break the pieces down into basic shapes, then build on the base with detailed layers...so it's kind of a gradual build-up.

Grif: "I think it looks more like a puma.":p
*crawls back under rock*
Lol

I'm desperately looking for the like button!!! Awesome, as always, awesome!
Ah-ahaha, thank you :D

Oh my gosh...your image totally blew my mind!

You really have to show us how you do this with craft foam. It's mind-bending to see what you can achieve.
Truely amazing work as always hun! I think you should do us a video tutorial of how you make such beautiful pieces. I know many out there would benefit from your technique.
Keep up the great work,
Tom.
Please tutorial. This looks like 100% pure talent. You're raising the bar.
Thank you guys :D. Once I get some extra time I'll probably try to put a tutorial together, but it may not be able to happen for awhile :(. Life likes to be busy!
-----

As usual, work takes over during the week...but this weekend I should get some time on the calves! So, 'til then...keep building guys!

Thanks everyone for the continued support. It means a lot :)

-----

Thanks! It takes a bit of planning...and lots of time! I try to break the pieces down into basic shapes, then build on the base with detailed layers...so it's kind of a gradual build-up.

Thank you guys :D. Once I get some extra time I'll probably try to put a tutorial together, but it may not be able to happen for awhile :(. Life likes to be busy!
-----

PLEASE DO, I tried doing one today (even though I'm not THAT great) It was horrible...

Boots:

GREAT great work those are so awesomelytasticfulfulfulfullllllllllll!!!!
cant wait to see a tut on them keep up the great work im excited to see the end result!! :D

It's flawless. I really want to use the foam you've been using on my next project. Can't wait to see more!

Soo i have been mia for a while, but holy balls, i derped a bit when i saw those boots. Like dang, that is ingenious, and it looks amazing, they actually look more hi tech than the game model, but i think that just adds to how cool they look, and how much it will fit with the rest of the armor.

So, I definitely just sat here for an hour and read over the entire thread and all I can say is WOW. I'm just now getting into costuming, and I've got to say your build is definitely one I'm going to be coming back to when I start mine in a few months. Seeing all this sold me on using foam. If I can get mine to look half as good as yours does I'll be happy. Keep up the amazing work!

This is the first thread I subscribed to here and I'm more than Wow'd by your work. Could you set the bar any higher for new guys? LoL.

You are an inspiration to do WAY better. Makes me want to become a seamstress......but without losing my man card kinda way.... :)

Okay, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this whole thread. I'm not sure how I missed it from the start but that is not the point. I can honestly say that so far you are creating the most complete and detailed Reach suits I have seen by any fan. There are so many good builds on the site and each has their own strengths, but your build is by far the most well rounded. I can't find any area to critique. (as a teacher that can be distressing lol) I really love that you have paid so much attention to every possible detail. Layering the armor and undersuit really makes it look like it is made of different armored panels linked together. It is a look that has been missing from other builds, especially my own. The udersuit is hands down the best I have EVER seen. Kudos for creating something that captures all those details and still remains movable.

I could go on singing your praises but I'll stop for now. You have made my day and helped re-motivate me to work on my own costume.

Can't wait to see more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back