KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the comments everyone! :D :D
-----
@ Ninjetsu NL, skull81, NayrDeathExperience, JUSTINIAN 117:
Thank you all for the support! It is appreciated :)

Wow your foam work is truly awe inspiring. Thanks a lot for sharing your whole progress with us. You are one of the reasons why I came back and started working on armor again. The helmet is going to look great.
Thanks! Glad to help :)

Based on the dimensions, it seems that the additional room in the back and the front would be very beneficial. You could hide your hair, batteries, fans, etc in the back and perhaps even some in the front as well. Breathing on the glass will fog it up, so the farther away your face is from it, the better.
Thanks for the insight :). I'm thinking the way I shrunk it should be ok though. I'm not too worried about hiding hair/batteries etc. and I made sure to leave room between my face and the visor. Fingers crossed!

Looks Awesome so far. Really inspiring to see you making this out of foam as well. Keep up the good work. I know it will turn out as great as everything else.
Thanks, I'm thinking this piece will be quite a challenge!

Cool!

... now I'm curious, what major are you? (if you're in college, you're in college right?), I ask because I've had to do sketches like this (though rather more simple and not quite as cleanly done) in class before.
My guess would be some kind of art major! Our engineering drawing are much different. More crude until we start getting into CAD.
Art and architecture majors start sketches like this, so an art major would be my guess. I've lost track of how many times I've started sketches the way you've done above with the blue pencil. I like to call them "Finding the Line" lines, when you lightly run the pencil back and forth until you have the right line.

Great work as always. I was wondering what you were going to do about the helmet. Even though you've scratch-built the rest of the suit, I was still surprised to see that you're scratch-building the helmet as well. Didn't Kat have a silver visor?
Hehe...you guys are right, I did go to art school. I have a BFA in Toy Design (yes, I swear that it's a legit major)!
@carpathia: Thank you, I guess my brain is weird but for some reason I find it more confusing to use pep files than to just do it from scratch! And yes, Kat normally has a silver visor...but mine will be gold.

That helmet is already starting to look sweet. As to the last comment.
"Thank you thorn!! Now the pressure is really on! And I don't know about Top Build...there are a ton of impressive builds out there, including yours!"

You're build is that good. You will be in the Elite section the moment you're finish.:D
That is more then I'll ever be able to say about my build.

So just keep building and we'll keep Drooling :cool
:D :D :D

LilTyrant...I have no idea how exactly you're building this suit to the amount of detail you are, but it is amazing. Spartan127 referred me to your build just to see your undersuit, but I had to look away from all of the awesomeness. How are you cutting the foam so cleanly? I have yet to go through the whole thread, but I will, and I'm subscribed.
Thanks! It takes a lot of patience :). Glad you're liking the build!

Strange that this isn't in the ELITE showcase yet.....
no kidding. HEY ADMINS, WHATS THE HOLDUP ON ELITE STATUS!?!??!!?!?!?
She'll be added once she's finished, guaranteed.
LOL Hurry and finish...... It most certainly deserves to be there
:D :D :D Makes my day guys! Thanks!

HOW the F Do you find the will to carry on girl?
Lol, I don't know...I'm excited to see it all done! :)
-----

I should have another update this weekend (silly work keeps getting in the way) :p...so 'til then, keep building guys!

I think we should call your work and tell them to stop hindering you from building your armor lol. That way we can see the epicness that much faster :-D

think the thing that keep me coming back to this thread is the fact that if something does not make sense to you..you change it..while still keeping it looking like it belonged in the first place..excellent work cant wait to see more

You have a talent LilTyrant :D A lot of practise and problem solving must have went into designing this build freehand (without pep). Good luck with the helmet...

Just like everyone has already said and then some, Amazing! Stunning work indeed. Please tell me your actual day job utilizes your full potential and we all get to experience this kind of detail on a day to day basis.
keep it up!

Wow, this is excellent! I had a question...how did you make a pattern for the chest piece? I have trouble making patterns for anything that's not form-fitting.

This will easily be one of the very best costumes I've seen on the site over the last few years, and truly deserves elite status.

Don't worry it will be :)
The mods said they are waiting till its done.

Also Lil I don't say enough how truely amazing this build is......this build is truely amazing :D
Really looking forward till the helmet is done so we finally get a shot with your head in :)

Tom.

Just wanted to say that this is truly an inspiring build you have going on here lil! Im seriously not even sure if this much epic is allowed in one thread :p Also, dibs on getting to move this to Elite when its finished!

Just wanted to say that this is truly an inspiring build you have going on here lil! Im seriously not even sure if this much epic is allowed in one thread :p Also, dibs on getting to move this to Elite when its finished!

And so you should my friend! It deserves it! :)

Hey guys! Sorry for vanishing into the void for a minute...work + life have continued to be all kinds of hectic... :(

-----
I think we should call your work and tell them to stop hindering you from building your armor lol. That way we can see the epicness that much faster :-D
I second that! LOL!
I totally agree, haha!
Lol, if only it were that easy! Thanks guys.

think the thing that keep me coming back to this thread is the fact that if something does not make sense to you..you change it..while still keeping it looking like it belonged in the first place..excellent work cant wait to see more
Thank you!

You have a talent LilTyrant :D A lot of practise and problem solving must have went into designing this build freehand (without pep). Good luck with the helmet...
Thanks! Sometimes freehand can be a bit tiring...especially on the helmet...but ultimately I like it better :)

Just like everyone has already said and then some, Amazing! Stunning work indeed. Please tell me your actual day job utilizes your full potential and we all get to experience this kind of detail on a day to day basis.
keep it up!
Lol, thank you. My day job doesn't involve costuming, but I'm a designer so it is a creative outlet :D

Wow, this is excellent! I had a question...how did you make a pattern for the chest piece? I have trouble making patterns for anything that's not form-fitting.
I started by doing a rough size study out of cardboard.Then, I started a pattern for the front rectangular area and built the front half. I started the back pattern with the kind of raised trapezoid pieces and built off of those. Then, I connected the front and back at the shoulders, and added in the side pieces that go under the arms. Not sure if that makes sense, but I hope it helps!

Thats an amazing build, I wish I had skills like you. :D
This will easily be one of the very best costumes I've seen on the site over the last few years, and truly deserves elite status.
Thanks guys! :D

Don't worry it will be :)
The mods said they are waiting till its done.
Also Lil I don't say enough how truely amazing this build is......this build is truely amazing :D
Really looking forward till the helmet is done so we finally get a shot with your head in :)

Tom.
Thanks Tom! Aaaalmost done with the helmet...hopefully I can have it wrapped up soon!

Thank you L3X! Can't wait to get it done :)

And so you should my friend! It deserves it! :)
:D
-----

Ok, quick update for you guys! I was able to make some more progress on the helmet this weekend. A big thanks to DYSTORTED INC for letting me take a peek at his Air Assault helmet model to help with reference :). He's got some awesome modelling skills (you can check out one of his builds here).

I still need to finish up adding the details, but here's where it's at so far:

Post_Helmet_00-1.jpg

The visor isn't glued in yet, so don't mind the gap (I'm holding off on gluing it in until I paint). Hopefully I'll get some more time next weekend to finish it up!

-----
That's all for now, so 'til next time...keep buildin' guys! :)

Le Gasp!!! truly awe inspiring as always girlie keep it up! I really need to get back to building and finishing on mine, le sigh :p

Don't just pin from one end to the other. More often than not (even if you have perfectly fitting pieces), the fabric won't line up right. Use the rule of halves: put one pin in each end, then one in the middle. From there, continue inserting pins at the halfway point between each already inserted pin. Also, pin perpendicular to your seam, with the pin heads sticking out over the edge.

Just a question about the pins....... When you say they should stickout over the ends, should the heads be pointing at the sewing machine as the fabric goes through? Or away from the machine as the fabric goes through? My mother used to sew and she didn't always do seams the same way.

Sewing noob here <------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back