KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!!! That is just awe-inspiring. You're Foam Helmet looks better then most people's resin build's. It's all in the details, And you seem to be going to town in that department.:D

*bows* you are a goddes of foam. The helmet looks fantastic. I really cant wait to see you piant your suit

This is simply going to be the best foam build out there hands down. I love how you manage to glue the foamies down with out the bumpiness the glue can create. In fact how do you avoid that? Do you use your glue gun for all the build cause I have never been able to get the foamies as perfectly flat as you do. Once I finsh my MC and IM build I am going to try my hand at a custom designed free hand suit and I can see in my head it's going to need alot of foamies. Oh and it's going to be big, planning the sprung fitted feet stilt thingies now to make sure when I start it I will be at least a foot taller and still have proper movement in the feet.

Your envious fan,
Tom.

tumblr_mbk4i5EWFo1qfi9r0_zpscdcbabd5.gif

Thanks for all the comments guys! You know it keeps me motivated! :D

-----
@ Annanymous, waco, and IllynReaver:
Thank you for the lovely comments :D

Le Gasp!!! truly awe inspiring as always girlie keep it up! I really need to get back to building and finishing on mine, le sigh :p
Thanks mustang! And yes, you must get back to your build!!! :)

Just a question about the pins....... When you say they should stickout over the ends, should the heads be pointing at the sewing machine as the fabric goes through? Or away from the machine as the fabric goes through? My mother used to sew and she didn't always do seams the same way. Sewing noob here <------
Usually I have the heads pointing at the machine (to the right) as the fabric goes through. This way, the rest of the fabric doesn't run into the machine and it makes it easier to pull out the pins as you go (if you're right handed). Hope that answers your question!

That is most Impressive!! wow!
Thanks! And thanks again for the help! :)

WOW!!! That is just awe-inspiring. You're Foam Helmet looks better then most people's resin build's. It's all in the details, And you seem to be going to town in that department.:D
Thanks thorn, you're quite the master of details yourself :)

By the Gods, Girl! That is one badass foam helmet! Can't wait to see it all finished up!
Hahaha, thanks dude. Can't wait to finish it!!!

*bows* you are a goddes of foam. The helmet looks fantastic. I really cant wait to see you piant your suit
:D You are too kind. I'm super excited to paint...I think painting is what I've been looking forward to the most this whole time!

This is simply going to be the best foam build out there hands down. I love how you manage to glue the foamies down with out the bumpiness the glue can create. In fact how do you avoid that? Do you use your glue gun for all the build cause I have never been able to get the foamies as perfectly flat as you do. Once I finsh my MC and IM build I am going to try my hand at a custom designed free hand suit and I can see in my head it's going to need alot of foamies. Oh and it's going to be big, planning the sprung fitted feet stilt thingies now to make sure when I start it I will be at least a foot taller and still have proper movement in the feet.

Your envious fan,
Tom.
Haha, I don't know why you're envious Tom. You know you're quite the foam master :p! As for gluing the foamies, I use spray mount instead of the glue gun. It does get the foamies much flatter and cleaner, but there are some disadvantages in that the adhesive is not quite as strong as hot glue (so sometimes I have to go back and use hot glue under the edges so that an edge doesn't get caught and peeled up). Before I do my next build I'm planning on testing out some other methods to see if there is a better solution. Can't wait to see your next build! :)

Just perfect. It looks so good with that undersuit. I can barely wait to see it finished! ;)
Thank you. I can barely wait to have it finished!

Just read through this thread from start to finish, this is truly amazing work, just... wow.
Aw, thank you so much! :)

-----
Late nights at work are still kicking my butt, so hopefully I'll get a moment this weekend to finish up the helmet. So 'til next time...keep buildin' guys :D

I figured it might be some kind of spray glue. I am thinking of testing out carpet adhesive cause that stuff sets nice and strong the only issues would be it can clump up if your not carefull. Thanks for the info though it will help greatly with the big suit as I am going to go for your technique of armour building now I have worked it out. Just need to test heating the foamies for the more rounded pieces.

It's funny you say you have to finish the helmet cause that lid looks good to go. I know that what ever is left to do is going to look something special.

Tom.

I figured it might be some kind of spray glue. I am thinking of testing out carpet adhesive cause that stuff sets nice and strong the only issues would be it can clump up if your not carefull. Thanks for the info though it will help greatly with the big suit as I am going to go for your technique of armour building now I have worked it out. Just need to test heating the foamies for the more rounded pieces.

It's funny you say you have to finish the helmet cause that lid looks good to go. I know that what ever is left to do is going to look something special.

Tom.

Latex carpet adhesive works well and can be watered down for small parts. But after trying 15-20 different glue's I'd say get a Contact Cement. Weldwood by "DAP" is what I use and if you are really having a hard time finding Contact Cement around you, ask you're local shoe fixer/repair shop what they use. That's how I found mine. drack, marshon live's over on you're side of the pond and listed a few product for you're area one was the Latex carpet adhesive. Seen here--> http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32478-A-project-actually-for-ME!-(pic-heavy)
I hope this info help's you. :cool

Sorry for taking up space on you're build LilTyrant :$

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I missed the update with your helmet pics a couple pages back and just saw it! I can almost shoot myself in the pinky toe for missing it. :p Great looking work on the helmet. You never disappoint. Do you have any total suit up pics yet? Keep up the awesome work.

Nice work on the helmet! It's always amazing to think you're doing this from scratch. As a bit of constructive criticism, the front "chin" of the helmet seems a tad wide, the air assault helmet gets a bit more narrow in the front and the "chin" sticks forward a bit more.

Are you going to paint this 100% Kat colours or something custom style? Might be good in purple. Just my opininion, do what you like. :)

Tom.
No prob, it's always good to have more info out there! And as for the helmet, I just had a few little things to wrap up...but now it's pretty much ready! :)

Latex carpet adhesive works well and can be watered down for small parts. But after trying 15-20 different glue's I'd say get a Contact Cement. Weldwood by "DAP" is what I use and if you are really having a hard time finding Contact Cement around you, ask you're local shoe fixer/repair shop what they use. That's how I found mine. drack, marshon live's over on you're side of the pond and listed a few product for you're area one was the Latex carpet adhesive. Seen here--> http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32478-A-project-actually-for-ME!-(pic-heavy)
I hope this info help's you. :cool

Sorry for taking up space on you're build LilTyrant :$
No worries thorn, I'll have to check out some of that stuff too! :)

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I missed the update with your helmet pics a couple pages back and just saw it! I can almost shoot myself in the pinky toe for missing it. :p Great looking work on the helmet. You never disappoint. Do you have any total suit up pics yet? Keep up the awesome work.
Hehehe, thank you! Scroll down for a total (ish) suit up!

Nice work on the helmet! It's always amazing to think you're doing this from scratch. As a bit of constructive criticism, the front "chin" of the helmet seems a tad wide, the air assault helmet gets a bit more narrow in the front and the "chin" sticks forward a bit more.
Blarg, you noticed :p! Yes, you are correct that the proportions of my helmet are not entirely accurate. The extra width of the chin is probably caused by a few things: 1) I'm a pretty petite person, so I have a borderline child-sized head, lol. This means my visor is proportionately HUGE and will only flex inward so much (limiting how thin I can make the helmet). At a later date, I may look into alternative visor options, but at this point I'm just going to go with what I have 2) The visor isn't glued in place yet so the foam is actually flexing a little wider than it will in the final 3) My own laziness when making the pattern :p. Thanks for noticing though!

This...is.....too....much.....#HEADSPLOSION#
Hahahha :D

Are you going to paint this 100% Kat colours or something custom style? Might be good in purple. Just my opininion, do what you like. :)
After much deliberation, I've decided that yes...I will be painting this Kat colors. Purple would look good though :)

-----

Ok guys, it's UPDATE TIME!

I kept dragging my feet on this helmet, but finally...it's done enough!
Post_Helmet_00-2.jpg

So all together now (minus gloves, hand plates, and right shoulder):
Post_SuitUp_02.jpg

The gun is a modded Nerf that one of my coworkers gave me. I will eventually do a Halo gun, but for now this will do :). I still need to finish the left hand glove and strap everything...but all of the foam pieces are done for now. I'm shooting to have this done for Halloween, so I'll be adding the helmet cam and tactical case later in case I'm crunched for time. That means...it's on to paint!

For a test, I started with a hand plate to get my bearings on something small. This was the method I used:
Post_Paint_01.jpg

Sooooooooo excited to finally be adding color! So 'til next time...keep building guys and thanks for checking out the suit! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back