KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, great work. You have me re-thinking what I am using for suit. I have never been happy with the neck and shoulder area. So what you have done and are doing looks awesome. Thanks for sharing and keep up the fantastic work.

As always, thanks so much everyone for the comments, and for stopping by to take a look! :D

-----
love the the way its going! i hope to be able to make an undersuit for my armor (i know, a 15 year old boy that can sew?! gasp!) but i have to get a little help on some of the details.
Thanks! And hey, sewing isn't just for grannies anymore :)

I know how to sew on a button thats it lol, but would not be able to make myself an undersuit this awesome
:) You could always learn!

It's so nice to see another seamstress on here. You shall be an awesome spartan chick with an awesome under suit. <3
:D :D You are going to be rockin' an awesome armor/suit combo yourself! I'm hoping to learn from watching your aaaaamaaaaazing foam skills.

Awesome! Great work so far!
Thanks! :)

Wow, great work. You have me re-thinking what I am using for suit. I have never been happy with the neck and shoulder area. So what you have done and are doing looks awesome. Thanks for sharing and keep up the fantastic work.
:D Thanks for checkin' out the build! I thoroughly support the DIY undersuit idea! ;)

-----
Update time:

So, I have some good news...and I have some bad news...

The good news is: all of my pattern pieces for the pelvis area section of the pants fit together nicely. Yay! The bad news is: while the pattern pieces fit each other quite well, they don't exactly fit me how I'd like...and I seem to have made a poor choice of how much unbreathable material I could get away with. I was sweatin' after having these suckers on for, like, 5 min. Totally not cool. Boo :(

Pants_4View_03.jpg

Looks like these will be a re-do. Bummer, but oh well...I can learn from it, so it's not a total loss. On the up side, I'm just stoked that this section fit me at all. I was half expecting that I wouldn't even be able to get them on!

I'm thinking that I'll hold off on finalizing the pants until I get the armor pieces for the thighs/cod together. That way, I can optimize compatibility :)

I know, I know...I'm jumping around all over the place...but in my little brain, it makes sense. ;)

-----
Up Next: !?!?!?

I'm sure Legacy Effects would hire you on the spot if they saw all of these progess pics!!

Keep it up, dudette! You doing an awesome job!

Can't wait for the next update!

not trying to come on to ya rofl, but they do fit you quite well ;) very nice detail and skill, i'm sure it will be great with the rest of the suit

I'm sure Legacy Effects would hire you on the spot if they saw all of these progess pics!!

Keep it up, dudette! You doing an awesome job!

Can't wait for the next update!

Thanks, ACDC. You are too kind! :)

not trying to come on to ya rofl, but they do fit you quite well ;) very nice detail and skill, i'm sure it will be great with the rest of the suit

Lol, thanks! I think they look like they fit better than they do...I'll definitely still have to do some tweaking for comfort's sake (if nothing else, to reduce the overheating issue). :)

-----

I probably won't have any more updates until at least next weekend :(. This weekend is going to be eaten up by some other life stuff, so Kat will just have to wait...

But when I do get back on the project...I'll be starting on some armor :)! Any thoughts on the best piece to start with?

-----
Until next time guys...keep building! :D

I'd say start with the chest, get your scaling right with that then use it to set the mood for the rest of the armor. Great job on everything so far!:D

I'd say start with the chest, get your scaling right with that then use it to set the mood for the rest of the armor. Great job on everything so far!:D

Are you doing foam or pep? I highly recommend making or getting a low resolution built first for scale.

Your undersuit is pretty amazing. One way to fight the overheating might be to swap in some breathable panels under the armor parts. Plenty of room in the thighs and Cod/butt to put mesh panels or other breathable material to let the heat out and still achieve the look you want. Whichever part you decide to go with first, i agree with calmasacow, do a low def or test piece for scale so you don't waste time on HD parts. It will also help you build your pep skills and provide you with test parts for your hardening methods and materials.

I cant believe no one gave a comment on your nice butt haha but this looks amazing! I wish I had the skills and materials for my own suit but I'm going the lazy way

WOW! the detail... my mind is blown... this is one of the best undersuits i've seen in ages... i can't wait to see the finished piece...

Still looking awesome on that underarmor. I hope you find that medium ground on look, comfort and not over heating.

As for were to start Yes I would say Chest plate. Why? you ask. Because it will help you in figuring out how you want to scale/size you're armor to you, and/or in order to get the best look for you. Till next time.:)

:D :D Thanks so much everyone for all of the comments and input! It totally made my day to come home from a few days away and see so many had visited! :)

Are you doing foam or pep? I highly recommend making or getting a low resolution built first for scale.
Still looking awesome on that underarmor. I hope you find that medium ground on look, comfort and not over heating.

As for were to start Yes I would say Chest plate. Why? you ask. Because it will help you in figuring out how you want to scale/size you're armor to you, and/or in order to get the best look for you. Till next time.:)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice! I'll be doing foam and definitely using your suggestions--the chest sounds like a good place to start. I'm planning on doing a rough cardboard version for scale first, and to get a reference point for how best to layer the foam. My brain usually works best when I have something 3D to pick up and move around.

Your undersuit is pretty amazing. One way to fight the overheating might be to swap in some breathable panels under the armor parts. Plenty of room in the thighs and Cod/butt to put mesh panels or other breathable material to let the heat out and still achieve the look you want.

Thanks for the input :D! I currently have some breathable panels in the thighs, front, and small of the back...but I don't think it is quite enough. I think the part that will be hardest to make breathable is the rear area...Kat's cod doesn't really cover her tush at all so I'll have to play around with what I do there. We shall see.

I cant believe no one gave a comment on your nice butt haha but this looks amazing! I wish I had the skills and materials for my own suit but I'm going the lazy way

Lol. Thanks, but I actually prefer that the comments stay on the suit instead of my rear :$. Glad you're diggin' the undersuit though! And it's never to late to pick up some sewing skills! :)

WOW! the detail... my mind is blown... this is one of the best undersuits i've seen in ages... i can't wait to see the finished piece...
:) :) Thanks! That means a lot, especially since your helmets are quite the detail jackpot!

WOW! That undersuit looks amazing, keep up the amazing work!

Thanks! :D

-----
Minuscule Update:

So based on your guys' feedback, I'm planning on working on the chest piece next. I haven't had any real time to spend on the project over the last week, so no real updates yet. Boo :(. But I was messing around with some foam and put together a handplate:

HandPlate.jpg

I know it's not 100% game accurate...but I wanted to tweak it, so I did :p

-----

Hopefully I will have some real updates for you all soon! :D

I personally like the handplate . It's different, and that's good! Oh, and Cloviz, even if you did like her rear, it's best to keep it to yourself from now on and stay on topic my friend.:D

*le gasp!* Armor! I was just wondering when you were going to start the armor now that your under suit was finished. ^w^
Don't mind the inaccuracy. It looks great. Besides, it's your armor. You can do what ever you want. =D

oo I like the handplate. Like you said, It is not 100% game accurate but honestly, I don't think anyone even notices if handplates are totally accurate and it is cool to be able to say that you made your own custom, freehand model :D

also, are you doing your entire build in foam??

Nice hand plate. looking forward to seeing how you go about this build. Judging from you're under suit, it's going to be out of this world.

Great work!
Personally, I like the hand plate. Things dont always have to be spot on and game accurate. Afterall... YOU are building something, its all about personal flair!

Also.... being that I know nothing about sewing, stitching... Is there a book or web page that you could/would suggest??? As I have intensions of making my own undersuite also.

Cheers, will be following along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back