KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys 'n' gals! I'm working on a quick and dirty cardboard rough of the chest piece right now for size reference. I think it might be coming out a bit too small...but I'll try to post pics tomorrow to get all of your opinions.

-----

I personally like the handplate . It's different, and that's good! Oh, and Cloviz, even if you did like her rear, it's best to keep it to yourself from now on and stay on topic my friend.:D
Thanks, vshore! :D

*le gasp!* Armor! I was just wondering when you were going to start the armor now that your under suit was finished. ^w^
Don't mind the inaccuracy. It looks great. Besides, it's your armor. You can do what ever you want. =D
Haha, thanks :)! I still have a long way to go on the under suit, but I think it's high time for some armor, anyway :p

oo I like the handplate. Like you said, It is not 100% game accurate but honestly, I don't think anyone even notices if handplates are totally accurate and it is cool to be able to say that you made your own custom, freehand model :D

also, are you doing your entire build in foam??
Thanks! And yes! I will be doing my entire build in foam! I am periodically exposed to icky chemicals at work, so I'd like to avoid being around more toxins at home :(. Plus, I hear foam is much more comfy :).

Nice hand plate. looking forward to seeing how you go about this build. Judging from you're under suit, it's going to be out of this world.
:D :D Thanks! I will try not to disappoint!

Great work!
Personally, I like the hand plate. Things dont always have to be spot on and game accurate. Afterall... YOU are building something, its all about personal flair!

Also.... being that I know nothing about sewing, stitching... Is there a book or web page that you could/would suggest??? As I have intensions of making my own undersuite also.

Cheers, will be following along!

Thanks :)! Glad to hear you will be doing an under suit as well! Unfortunately, I don't know of a lot of info in terms of books/web pages :(. I only have one sewing book (The Vogue Sewing Book-revised edition, published by Vogue Patterns). I haven't really read through it yet, but it looks like it has a ton of good info. I should probably read it, lol. You can pick it up on Amazon, here. I got it randomly at a local used book store, so you could try that, too.

A few things I can mention about learning to sew:

>>You might want to look into taking a class, just to pick up the basics. You'd be surprised how far you can take the basics! They usually offer a variety sewing classes at fabric stores, whether it's a chain or a local shop. Or if you have a relative or friend who knows how to sew, that obviously works, too.

>>You can learn a lot just by looking at regular ol' sewn items, like your clothing. The only legit sewing training I have is for the basics of making stuffed animals :p. Everything I know about making clothing is just from the basics of sewing, and reverse engineering clothes that I have.

>>It seems to me that pep is quite similar to sewing, in terms of how your brain needs to work. I'd be willing to bet that most people who can pep will be perfectly capable of sewing. Oh, and sewing isn't just for grannies ;).

-----
Until (hopefully) tomorrow. Keep buildin' :)!

Thanks guys 'n' gals! I'm working on a quick and dirty cardboard rough of the chest piece right now for size reference. I think it might be coming out a bit too small...but I'll try to post pics tomorrow to get all of your opinions.
Awesome, dudette! Can't wait to see it.

Wow! this looks really awesome :)Ive been thinking about doing something just like this but right now my budget isn't happy with me :) overal I think this looks Fantastic! youre work is cutting out for you. I cant wait to see the final suit :D

Thanks for continuing to check in guys! :)

-----

Definetely gunna look into sewing to maximize the look of the armor i create:D
Yes! I'm sure it will be awesomeness :)

Thanks for the info!
Much appreciated.
Keep the posts coming, once again awsome work :)
Thanks, and no prob!

Wow! this looks really awesome :)Ive been thinking about doing something just like this but right now my budget isn't happy with me :) overal I think this looks Fantastic! youre work is cutting out for you. I cant wait to see the final suit :D
:) Thanks! If you do wind up sewing something, be sure to sign up for coupons from JoAnn's, if you have one in your area. They are definitely helpful to the budget!

-----
Update time!

As promised, I've got my rough rough rough (can't stress that enough) size study for the chest piece. Please pardon the monkey poo craftmanship and the cardboard. Don't worry, this is just to give me a quick idea of scale:

Chest_Turns.jpg

Any thoughts on the size are much appreciated. I'm thinking it's pretty ok, but maybe I should widen the back area a bit? This is just the base starting point, so the padding, ab plate and spine are not shown.

I have no idea who made the file I used as a rough template :(. The file was simply named "Kat_Torso_NeckCollar_Unfold" and didn't seem to indicate anywhere who had created it. So, I will throw a big "thank you" out to the anonymous creator/unfolder of the file! :D

-----
Up Next: On to the foam version of the chest piece :)! However, it may take awhile...we are finally getting some snow...so I will be spending the weekend on the mountain with my board :D

does it fit over the undersuit. i dont remember if you finished the top or not, but if you did does it fit. thank you for the response to the pm i just read a few pages back about what materials you used.

edit: also i believe either satchmoIII or koshimo07( i hope i spelled it right) just redid a female torso/ chest piece, but i don't remember the thread name and l3x bl3riv3r has some really nice foam files in his torso thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28565-Another-Reach-Mark-V-Torso i believe this might help if you have't seen it yet
here is some more of his awesome work http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database

you probably could make it a lil wider in the back but you also want free range of motion to move too, but otherwise the size of it looks pretty good compared to how it looks in game, maybe just a 10% increase in scale and you will be spot on. But other wise everything else is looking great girlie, keep it up :D

hey, that looks really good for just a size study!
As far as the actual size goes, I would suggest maybe making it just a little bit larger- Just because you don't want to have a big gap between the cod piece and the chest piece and the back looks a little bit small (Like xarmy said,)
+ You want it to be able to fit over your undersuit !

Other than that it looks great :)

I agree, the back could be a bit wider (just before the back of the shoulder socket), other than that, looks great!

Keep on, keepin' on!
Cheers

Thanks everyone for the input!

-----

@ Crimmson:
>> Yes, it fits over the undersuit. And no prob on the pm. Thanks for the extra info on the torso files, too :). There's definitely some nice stuff in those links. I believe I had come across them before, but decided to try something else that was not quite as bulky for the female version.

@Xarmymustang:
>> Thanks :)! I agree...I'm trying to find a balance so that it's not too small, but not so big that it starts bumping into the arm pieces. If you think about what a Spartan would actually look like without their armor, they have a freakishly unnatural amount of space between their torso and their arms.

@Annanymous:
>> :) thanks! Good point about watching the gap height wise. I'll double check it as I go on to the final, but I think it shouldn't be a problem once the ab plate and spine get added in. Also, my torso is pretty short :p

@Cereal Kill3r:
>> Thank you! :D

-----

Not sure how long the foam torso will take...but I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Good luck with the builds everyone! :)

Update Time! :)

-----

I've been working away at the chest piece and have it about 50%-ish done (if you don't count the ab plate or spine :p). I was hoping to have it closer to wrapped up by the end of the weekend, but it has stubbornly decided to take longer.

The front section is based roughly on the previously mentioned file I used for the size study, but the rear pieces didn't feel very foam friendly so I decided to do the back from scratch. I know it's not 100% accurate, but I'm ok with that :). I still have layering details to add to the back, then I can make the connection pieces and add in the neck and arm seals.

Here's what I've got so far:

Chest_Foam_Progress_01.jpg

I'm using a few different thicknesses of foam: the usual 1/2" foam floor mats (grey), 1/4" craft foam (white), and 2mm craft foam (also white). I've just been using an x-acto to cut the foam, which seams to work ok as long as I don't let the blade get too dull.

-----

Hopefully next weekend I'll have the chest together :)

This build is amazing. I really wish I knew how to sew and all that good stuff. You do some seriously fantastic work, and now your foam stuff is looking great too. I'm still watching this closely and can't wait to see it done.

Wow the chest piece looks like its turning out nice and clean, Its going to look great once its all put together and painted, hope to see more soon

Looking really nice, ima have to look into using craft foam over the top of my armor, it really smoothes out the contours and makes it look more authentic :cool

Wow, this is some really nice foam work. It looks great, using different thicknesses of foam is a great idea. Much easier than using a dremel to try and sand down a flat layer for details. Keep at it!

woohoo an update :D
The foamwork looks super clean and reminds me of Roxyroo's! Using craft foam to get good seams seems like a really good method (cause it looks great)

Keep it up, I can't wait to see more

that armour is coming along epic, so is the undersuit :) about to start foam working my armour and if i can try and finish the damn gravity hammer ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back