KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks great!! I'm so excited to see this progress.
I too am goingto be doing a custom reach undersuit soon, so I was curious at to what foamy material you are using to make the details? Is it just some soft foam sheet that you cut out and then sew some fabric over (and then sew it to the main part of the suit?)
Thanks, and can't wait to see more

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I tried experimenting with craft foam, vinyl, and lycra and the results were unclean and unreliable. My sewing machine just couldn't handle the materials together.

Thanks everyone for the support! It definitely helps to keep me workin' :) :)

I too am goingto be doing a custom reach undersuit soon, so I was curious at to what foamy material you are using to make the details? Is it just some soft foam sheet that you cut out and then sew some fabric over (and then sew it to the main part of the suit?)
Thanks, and can't wait to see more

:) I'm using a couple of different things (and may still mess around with some other options). Right now, the hip pads are NU-Foam (densified batting used for chair cushions) inserted into an enclosed pocket. No stitches actually go into the foam, so it's kind of like a pillow. The NU-foam is a little stiffer than I'd like, so I might try something else (depending on how it acts with the final fabric). The stomach, neck, and elbow detail just have regular quilting batting sewn into the body, like an extra layer of fabric. The shoulder is a knit fabric layered on top of itself like an applique, so no foam. Hope that answers your question! That's awesome that you're gonna make a suit too. I'll have to check out your thread and see how it goes!

-----

I haven't made a lot of progress, but wanted to give an update since it's been a bit since my last post...

I've attached the right (mechanical) arm to the torso, so now I have a better idea of how much is really going to need to change. Sorry for the cruddy pictures :(...the camera was on a funky setting and I didn't realize it until after I had already started seam ripping the model. Hopefully you can still kind of see what's going on. The red marks are where I've started noting some of the needed changes with a Sharpie. I like to mark the model while I'm wearing it, so I have a better idea of where things actually line up.

WhiteModelProg_04.jpg

Unfortunately, as much as I was trying to avoid using a lot of stretchy fabric, it looks like my movement will be too limited if I don't :(. My machine doesn't have a lot of versatility with super stretchy stuff, so it'll be a challenge. I'm working on making some tweaks to the arm/shoulder area, then testing out the adjusted pattern using the final fabric (for a more realistic fit). If I'm lucky and the pattern works out, then I can use the tweaked arms/shoulders for the final. We shall see...

-----
Back to the newsprint for some pattern tweaks...then on to a new set of arms!

Thanks everyone for the support! It definitely helps to keep me workin' :) :)

:) I'm using a couple of different things (and may still mess around with some other options). Right now, the hip pads are NU-Foam (densified batting used for chair cushions) inserted into an enclosed pocket. No stitches actually go into the foam, so it's kind of like a pillow. The NU-foam is a little stiffer than I'd like, so I might try something else (depending on how it acts with the final fabric). The stomach, neck, and elbow detail just have regular quilting batting sewn into the body, like an extra layer of fabric. The shoulder is a knit fabric layered on top of itself like an applique, so no foam. Hope that answers your question! That's awesome that you're gonna make a suit too. I'll have to check out your thread and see how it goes!

-----

I haven't made a lot of progress, but wanted to give an update since it's been a bit since my last post...

I've attached the right (mechanical) arm to the torso, so now I have a better idea of how much is really going to need to change. Sorry for the cruddy pictures :(...the camera was on a funky setting and I didn't realize it until after I had already started seam ripping the model. Hopefully you can still kind of see what's going on. The red marks are where I've started noting some of the needed changes with a Sharpie. I like to mark the model while I'm wearing it, so I have a better idea of where things actually line up.

Unfortunately, as much as I was trying to avoid using a lot of stretchy fabric, it looks like my movement will be too limited if I don't :(. My machine doesn't have a lot of versatility with super stretchy stuff, so it'll be a challenge. I'm working on making some tweaks to the arm/shoulder area, then testing out the adjusted pattern using the final fabric (for a more realistic fit). If I'm lucky and the pattern works out, then I can use the tweaked arms/shoulders for the final. We shall see...

-----
Back to the newsprint for some pattern tweaks...then on to a new set of arms!

Hey it looks great, I really like the side and shoulder details. I'm not a big sewer or fabric person, but would it be easier to hand-sew the foamy piece details to a stretchier material if your sewing machine can't handle it? Or maybe there is a fabric that would give you more movement but isn't like...as stretchy as spandex.

also thankyou for answering my question about what materials you are using :D I hope that I will be able to figure out a way to make a suit without a sewing machine haha. I'll be doing a lot of hand sewing...

Hey it looks great, I really like the side and shoulder details. I'm not a big sewer or fabric person, but would it be easier to hand-sew the foamy piece details to a stretchier material if your sewing machine can't handle it? Or maybe there is a fabric that would give you more movement but isn't like...as stretchy as spandex.

also thankyou for answering my question about what materials you are using :D I hope that I will be able to figure out a way to make a suit without a sewing machine haha. I'll be doing a lot of hand sewing...

:) Thanks for the feedback/thoughts. It's for sure a good idea to use some medium stretchy stuff. I've been testing out some cotton/rayon/spandex blends that seem to be working pretty well. As for the machine, it's not so much that it can't do stretchy, it's just not the ideal (or fastest) tool to use. In a perfect world, I'd have a serger/overlock machine...but for now, I'll make do with what I've got...

As for you sewing a suit by hand... :eek insanity :eek !!! All the power to you if you're dead set on doing it without a machine, but machines aren't that expensive (or hard to learn), and it'll save you a boatload of time and trouble! I'd highly recommend using a machine :D

-----
Update time!

So, I know I said new arms were next...but once I dove into it, I encountered an "if you give a mouse a cookie" moment. Since I'm planning on testing the arms in the final fabric, I figured I should test the chest/shoulder pieces in the final fabric...and if I'm testing the chest pieces in the final fabric, then I may as well test the neck piece...

...which lead to this:

BlackModel_Prog_01.jpg

BlackModel_Prog_Texture_Small.jpg

I'm using marine vinyl, a knit cotton/rayon blend, and some meshy stuff. Originally, I was planning on having more texture on the shoulders, but I realized it's not really going to show at all...so I left it off. Fingers crossed that it will fit right this time...it'd be nice not to have to sew it again (that vinyl can be a pain)! :angry

-----
Up Next: Okay...back on track. On to new arms. For reals, this time.

It's coming along beautifully, especially the mesh and vinyl of the neck. Great job!

I agree a sewing machine is worlds nicer, and the time you save using it easily offsets the cost of one, and it opens the door for a lot of future projects and clothing customization as well. I had to repair a leather glove by hand, and stitching it was a gigantic pain that took a long time. You're fantastic with using a machine on those different materials.

How well does that cotton/rayon lay down? A lot of body suits out there can end up looking like pajamas when they're actually put on the person, not form fitting properly, but I don't know much about the properties of different fabrics. Going to be helping another member with her N7 suit, so I've got to start looking into fabric options.

Wow that looks amazing! And yeah, perhaps I should invest in a sewing machine (suddenly wishing I had payed more attention during my sewing-home economics class in middle school hahaha) But yeah, your craftsmanship is amazing I really love the way the neck turned out! Good to hear that the fabric is working out for you as well

Thanks guys for all the continued support! It is definitely appreciated :) :)

As usual, life + work = total time suck... but I have slowly been working on the new arms. Hopefully I'll have something worth showing in the next few days (fingers crossed).

-----
But, in the meantime...

It's coming along beautifully, especially the mesh and vinyl of the neck. Great job!

I agree a sewing machine is worlds nicer, and the time you save using it easily offsets the cost of one, and it opens the door for a lot of future projects and clothing customization as well. I had to repair a leather glove by hand, and stitching it was a gigantic pain that took a long time. You're fantastic with using a machine on those different materials.

How well does that cotton/rayon lay down? A lot of body suits out there can end up looking like pajamas when they're actually put on the person, not form fitting properly, but I don't know much about the properties of different fabrics. Going to be helping another member with her N7 suit, so I've got to start looking into fabric options.

>> Thanks :)! A sewing machine certainly is handy to have. You are very correct that working with thick stuff like leather/pleather/vinyl can really be a pain. I swear by pinning...and going slow (vinyl doesn't like to allow room for error)! There were definitely some, "oh man, I hope this works" moments. As for the cotton/rayon...now that I think about it, it may actually be a rayon/polyester knit. I think I ditched the cotton blend because its stretch memory wasn't as good (and I don't want it to stretch out all weird). To get the form fit you want, you should be sure the fabric is stretchy enough and the cut is tight enough. If it's not stretchy enough, you'll have to go loose in order to allow movement. The stuff I'm using has a four way stretch (stretches horizontal and vertical), but I won't totally know about the fit until I get the arms on. So far, the torso seems to be fitting well though.

Wow that looks amazing! And yeah, perhaps I should invest in a sewing machine (suddenly wishing I had payed more attention during my sewing-home economics class in middle school hahaha) But yeah, your craftsmanship is amazing I really love the way the neck turned out! Good to hear that the fabric is working out for you as well

>> Thank you :D Yes...go for the machine! I'm sure you can pick sewing up. Judging by your build, you definitely have DIY talent!

Wow!

Keep it up, dudette!

>> Thanks, sir!

well this blows everything i ever want to do out of the water. Well done XD. i cant wait to see it all

>> :) I'm sure you've got a trick or two up your sleeve. Your build is lookin' pretty neat-o, too!

I must say, your doing some really nice work, this is going to be an awesome undersuit

>> You've got some pretty impressive stuff out there yourself :)

Ohh.... they're so cool! Keep up the good work!

>> Your Vindictus armor is super cool, too!

Very nice job done, Cant wait to see it finished

>> Thanks :) I will try not to disappoint!

-----
Now, back to the sewing machine I go...

Do you use a special needle and/or foot for the vinyl? I found that with the vinyl my stitch would jump and bunch so I ended up ditching the undersuit project.

>> Thanks I will try not to disappoint!

Some how.. I fail to see you disappoint us, :D The undersuit just looks amazing! keep up the Fantastic work!

(its Italicized to emphasize fantastic)

Do you use a special needle and/or foot for the vinyl? I found that with the vinyl my stitch would jump and bunch so I ended up ditching the undersuit project.

Bummer :(. I've just been using my standard needle and foot. I haven't had problems with the stitch jumping, but the foot does somewhat like to grab at the vinyl and try to prevent it from moving in certain places. I've found that I sometimes have to help it along a little more than with other fabrics. You may try playing with the tension settings on the machine. What type of vinyl were you using? Some may be stickier than others.

Some how.. I fail to see you disappoint us, :D The undersuit just looks amazing! keep up the Fantastic work!

(its Italicized to emphasize fantastic)

Thanks! :) :) :)

Update Time! :)

I was hoping to have both updated arms by now, but I ran into a few hiccups...so only the left one is together. My first round of L-arm revisions were less than satisfactory :(. There was some funky stuff going on with the shoulder detail (vinyl was not playing nice with the stretchy material...or my shoulder...) and I was still having mobility issues with the elbow.

I spent some major time with the seam ripper :angry but was able to finally get a result that I'm more or less okay with. So here we have left arm #3...

*Note: the bottom half of the torso is still the white model. I'm waiting to finalize that area until I see how it interacts with the armor.

BlackModel_Prog_02.jpg

BlackModel_Prog_02--Zoom.jpg

I'm still using the marine vinyl, a knit polyester/rayon blend, and the meshy stuff. There are a few things that kind of bug me, but I'm going to move on for now. I have full range of motion in my shoulder, elbow, and wrist so that makes me super happy :). Comfort is important!

-----
Next Up: Progress may be a bit slower. Due to our carpet being re-done, my sewing room is currently out of commission :(. But, once I have my space back, it's on to the right arm... and pants :eek!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back