KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I come back after ages and I check this thread out. All I can say is:

1011582_10201753786546348_2117686598_n.jpg

Awesome pic's from San Diego Comic-Con. I might be able to make next years.
Until then I'm living it through you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww you guys with armor get all the fun.......
There were a lot of kats in those shots.....

But soon hopefully Connor will strut on in to my local eb games on oct 31st

@thorn - yeah wish I could teleport to America/Europe where all the conventions are, the only conventions in AUS close to me are hours away....

Awesome pictures from comic con! Me, wife, and her best friend are suiting up this weekend! So you inspired our Kat suits, lol.

-Nashville comic con offered us free tickets and a 30 minute time slot on their show stage for photo ops on Sat... so that should be interesting =D
Do you have a thread for your captain america suit on here? I don't get on here much anymore, but try to find time =D

I'm stunned at the detail, accuracy, and quality of your foam work. I've preferred Pep, always claiming it has the sharpest corners, best detail, and smoothest finished product, but your build proves me wrong. This is beyond the Elite section.

O.O...

Just speechless...you sure got some pretty amazing shots of your really amazing suit! Man, I hope I get to troop with you and a group of other Spartans as well. These are some of those community pics that make me proud to be a part of it. :')

You might have to build me a new jaw. Just read through this whole thread. You do amazing things with foam. Hope my reach armor comes out half as good as yours!
Can't wait to see what you do next. This is just amazing and really what I needed to give me a kick in bum! I better get working again.

Pretty sure I totally saw you on the dashboard of my Xbox 360 from SDCC Day 1.

I was like is that...? Who else could it be other than LilTyrant in that awesome Kat build?

Can't believe I missed you and the other spartans at AX! Maybe next year...great job and suit and especially the undersuit...that must have been a godsend for both flexibility and not being roasted alive lol

Can't believe I missed you and the other spartans at AX! Maybe next year...great job and suit and especially the undersuit...that must have been a godsend for both flexibility and not being roasted alive lol

This is the kind of thing that we, the 405th, need to work on as a community.
[/hijack]

I have a question for OP and whoever happened to be a spartan at AX: How did you get past or deal with weapons check in? The rules were pretty strict... i.e. If the gun has a futuristic silouhette (star trek phaser, oddly shaped plasma rifle) its fine, but if it looks realistic or anything like today's guns, it must be painted 50% neon. Seeing as how the spartans' pistols and all of the UNSC aresnal is "modern" enough (bullpup layout, etc.) compared to today's definition of guns, I'm interested. Really want to try something like this for next year!

Do you have a link to the file that you used for the chest plate. i would really appreciate it. I`m struggling with my armor. Getting by though with the help of your posts of your armor. Its amazing! thanks

Just went through this entire thread in one sitting. Amazing work! Takes dedication to sort out so many details and execute them like this.

A couple quick questions for you (sorry if I missed where you might have already answered these):

What did you use to apply the blue paint and glaze coatings? It looks sponged maybe? Also how did you achieve the weathering - for instance the white thigh stripe looks like it was evenly applied then maybe partially sponged off. Same thing for the corners on the shoulder pieces, sponging the blue to expose the silver paint underneath. Looks expertly done, anyway!

When joining sections of foam together at an angle it seems like you'd need to bevel the two surfaces that mate if you wish to achieve a contour. Did you do all this by hand? It seems like it would be easy to over/under-do the bevel and wind up with an incorrect outer shape.

Truly great work here. Fantastic!

When joining sections of foam together at an angle it seems like you'd need to bevel the two surfaces that mate if you wish to achieve a contour. Did you do all this by hand? It seems like it would be easy to over/under-do the bevel and wind up with an incorrect outer shape.

Yes, you do have to bevel the edges to achieve a contour. Most people just estimate it. If you have to correct it, you can use a barrel sander on a dremel to remove a little bit to correct it. Or, you can use a method that drack, one of the members on here, uses. You cut a very extreme bevel as if you wanted an extreme edge. Then, you glue just the very edge together so you have an "adjustable angle." To fix it at whatever angle, take a little scrap wedge (the size isn't important) and put a healthy amount of glue in the gap and insert the wedge, when the glue dries it should hold its shape. That just takes a long time.

Yikes! I've been majorly neglecting responding to this thread. Sorry! Life is lifey. Anyway…

The pictures I have up in this thread are actually from 2013, not 2014 but I think there was still a pretty good Spartan showing at SDCC this year (not sure about AX though). Hopefully the reorganization of the forum will help prevent missed meet ups in the future!!!

I have a question for OP and whoever happened to be a spartan at AX: How did you get past or deal with weapons check in? The rules were pretty strict... i.e. If the gun has a futuristic silouhette (star trek phaser, oddly shaped plasma rifle) its fine, but if it looks realistic or anything like today's guns, it must be painted 50% neon. Seeing as how the spartans' pistols and all of the UNSC aresnal is "modern" enough (bullpup layout, etc.) compared to today's definition of guns, I'm interested. Really want to try something like this for next year!
I attended AX in 2013 only, so I'm not sure if they changed their restrictions in 2014. Some of the Spartans I was with at 2013 AX did have trouble and were required to tape off an entire side of their gun with blue tape (when posing for photos they just kept the taped side away from camera). This seemed to only apply to the larger weapons. For my pistol, they just put a tag on it and were ok with it…didn't totally make sense to me why the pistol was ok but the AR wasn't. Since then, I have added orange tape to the tip of my pistol because BCC required it, so it seems to vary from con to con.

Do you have a link to the file that you used for the chest plate. i would really appreciate it. I`m struggling with my armor. Getting by though with the help of your posts of your armor. Its amazing! thanks
Sorry, but all of my armor was done freehand so there are no files! Hope you find something that works!

Just went through this entire thread in one sitting. Amazing work! Takes dedication to sort out so many details and execute them like this.

A couple quick questions for you (sorry if I missed where you might have already answered these):

What did you use to apply the blue paint and glaze coatings? It looks sponged maybe? Also how did you achieve the weathering - for instance the white thigh stripe looks like it was evenly applied then maybe partially sponged off. Same thing for the corners on the shoulder pieces, sponging the blue to expose the silver paint underneath. Looks expertly done, anyway!

Truly great work here. Fantastic!
Thanks :)! For the painting, yes I did it as you are describing with a sponge! Somewhere in the thread I posted an image showing the order that I applied the different colors…not sure which page it's on though…probably somewhere nearish to the end? For the foam questions, Termhn posted a good response! And yes, I did my beveling by hand, similar to drack's method.

------

A few weeks ago I went to Boston Comic Con and met up with SniperWolf. Had a lot of fun and took some photos :) (some of you may have already seen these on FB).

BrickWall_01_zps344f0a61.jpg

Cowboy_01copy_zps16622999.jpg

Boat_00copy_zps001c5366.jpg

From a build perspective, I don't have any further plans for this suit beyond minor wear and tear repairs. I do plan to continue wearing the Kat suit to cons and meeting up with other Spartans though…until it's time for a replacement :).

-----
As always, keep buildin' guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back