DragonCon 2012 - Let's get the ball rolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually drive to Dragon*Con, however, I did just recently fly with my armor to RTX. The helmet was in my carry on, and everything else I packed into a Rubbermaid/Sterilite tube that was under the 62 inch Height x Depth X Width restrictions.
tumblr_m6phf80KJ21rtpviso1_1280.jpg

you didnt get any problems from them..??? what was the charge on it???
i still think i might just send off everything as i finish it..my uncle works for the airforce as an IT but he runs an antique shop(way strange) so i might just send everything to his shop..i dont want any issues from anyone..
that is REALLY awesome though..

so..the parade IS on saturday huh..??
im thinking bout building a SPNKr launcher..

Anyone have any late hotel reservation sugestions? Someplace nice.
I figure that I'm not going to be able to get a place near the convention at this point but I figure I can drive a little bit to get to there.

Thanks
Jim.

I figure that I'm not going to be able to get a place near the convention at this point but I figure I can drive a little bit to get to there.

Thanks
Jim.

well everything around the events pretty filled up i could ask my uncle what a good place would be, luckily he lives 20 mines from downtown so ill be staying with him.

I HAVE been known to be wrong on occasion... I could have sworn it was on Friday though... Oh well... One less thing for me to worry about missing then. I'm glad I'm wrong for once. :p

sweet deal..one of my friends was daring me to just go through security with my suit :p
could you imagine just trying..having to unsuit the whole thing at the xray checkpoints hahaha

im excited soooooooooooo badly for this
mostly cuz its my first one and i dont get out of texas much
anyone know what panels will be there???

Thanks
Jim.

Plan on staying somewhere else, but start calling the Sheraton, Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott everyday and seeing if they are any cancellations. Some people might drop out, and often people will book more than one room, either planning to share or as a back up, and as their plans change or they drop out, they might cancel their rooms.

As for the flight with my armor, I flew united and since I made sure that the tub I used was under the 62" rule, it was the standard $25 they charge for the first item of checked baggage. I did not get charged extra for "oversized baggage." MY first flight, neither the ticket counter nor the TSA guy really cared. For my second flight the Ticket Counter representative wanted me to check with the TSA guy becuase while it was under the over sized baggage size, it was still an unusual shape. Once again, the TSA guy didn't really care.

On both flights it does appear they opened the case, as I secured the lid with two zip ties drilled through the lid and side, and one TSA approved lock on the other side. Both times the Zip ties were cut, and on the second time I piece of paper was in the tub saying that the TSA opened the bag to examine it.

However, a trick I learned from some of the other guys in the 501st was to include a letter at the top of the luggage, explaining that the itme contained within was a replica costume, that all items were props, as well as a picture of me in the costume, front, side, and back shots. (With the 501st we can include a line about all the charity work we do, over $11 million dollars raised for charity last year, and that will actually sometimes dissuade the TSA guys from digging too deep into the tub.)

Plan on staying somewhere else, but start calling the Sheraton, Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott everyday and seeing if they are any cancellations. Some people might drop out, and often people will book more than one room, either planning to share or as a back up, and as their plans change or they drop out, they might cancel their rooms.

As for the flight with my armor, I flew united and since I made sure that the tub I used was under the 62" rule, it was the standard $25 they charge for the first item of checked baggage. I did not get charged extra for "oversized baggage." MY first flight, neither the ticket counter nor the TSA guy really cared. For my second flight the Ticket Counter representative wanted me to check with the TSA guy becuase while it was under the over sized baggage size, it was still an unusual shape. Once again, the TSA guy didn't really care.

On both flights it does appear they opened the case, as I secured the lid with two zip ties drilled through the lid and side, and one TSA approved lock on the other side. Both times the Zip ties were cut, and on the second time I piece of paper was in the tub saying that the TSA opened the bag to examine it.

However, a trick I learned from some of the other guys in the 501st was to include a letter at the top of the luggage, explaining that the itme contained within was a replica costume, that all items were props, as well as a picture of me in the costume, front, side, and back shots. (With the 501st we can include a line about all the charity work we do, over $11 million dollars raised for charity last year, and that will actually sometimes dissuade the TSA guys from digging too deep into the tub.)

awesome thanks for the info ill keep it in mind, normally i would just drive but with it being around 18hour drive i can only take so many days off work.
think i might still ship it to my uncle but i was curious anyway so thanks for that heads up :)

Since you'll probably be staying with your uncle, you can just ship it to him to avoid any hassles. I know people who will ship their armor to the con hotel, rather than flying with it, but I've never done that, and I'm unsure of the exact procedure. Such as whether you must call the hotel ahead of time and arrange with them that a package will be dropped off for you while you are staying there, and can they hold it for you, sort of thing.

Some people also prefer to ship it, claiming they don't trust the airline, but, when you really sit down and think about it, your costume is going to get tossed around jsut as much being shipped by Fed Ex or UPS as by the airline, and if you're going several states away, it's probably going to be shipped by air by the delivery company any.

That's why you should really worry more about making sure it's packaged securely and properly.

just got my pass in the maaaaaiiiiiiiillllllll i didnt think i could be more excited but now i am.
do we have an estimate roster of everyone whos going.???

ughhhhhh.... im getting my pass day of... joy... -_-

It depends what day you get your pass. Sometimes, in the past at least, the on site registration line was shorter than the pre-reg line, becuase so many pre-reg now.

It depends what day you get your pass. Sometimes, in the past at least, the on site registration line was shorter than the pre-reg line, becuase so many pre-reg now.

went saturday last year... wasnt TOO bad... 45 min wait I'd say. fun group too. lol

ughhhhhh.... im getting my pass day of... joy... -_-

oh well i dont have my pass just the card from pre-registering.. >.<
ma bad..
on that..im flying in thursday does anyone know when or til what time theyll have registration open to get passes..??
or will i have to wait til friday..?

Well I'm flying in Friday morning! I didn't want to miss more than 2 days of school, so my plan lands at 9 AM Friday and I fly out Monday afternoon. It's my first con ever, so I'm really excited about it. Registration is open Thursday 10AM-10PM and reopens on Friday at 8AM.
36 days!

Well I'm flying in Friday morning! I didn't want to miss more than 2 days of school, so my plan lands at 9 AM Friday and I fly out Monday afternoon. It's my first con ever, so I'm really excited about it. Registration is open Thursday 10AM-10PM and reopens on Friday at 8AM.
36 days!

Hence why it is on Labor day weekend. :)

WOOO!!! Con newbies are the best! You are gonna. Have. A. BLAST!!! :)

omg this thread has me all excited lol ill be there the entire weekend! is there a time and place we all meeting up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back