Mass Effect 2 EVA Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilla137

Jr Member
I've begun work on making a FEMALE commander shepard armor suit out of EVA foam and I'm hoping to have it done for March 6th (release of Mass Effect 3). If I can't then I'll definitely have it done in time for comic con :)

Materials Needed:
- EVA foam
You can get it at sport stores or some auto supply stores. For my armor I'm using 1/2" think pads, got a 4 pack of 4x4 with a cross hatch pattern for $20. You will definitely need more than 4 pieces, so maybe buy 2 or 3 packs of these.

- Hot glue gun with glue sticks.
Any kind will do but I recommend the thicker one since u get more glue which makes it easier for putting together seems. :)

- Exacto knife.
Again, doesn't matter so long as you have quite a bit of extra blades.

- Heat gun
Now before you start thinking "oh that's gonna be expensive etc etc" i bought a cheap one on ebay for $20 with free expedited shipping. There are more expensive ones out there, which I wouldn't say no to spending more than I did, but just know that you don't need to spend a lot if you only plan on using the gun for this one armor project.

- Dremel
I will list the parts later when I get all my pieces found in my garage, but the dremel will be used for fine details and smoothing out the edges of the armor. I already have one, so I didn't need to buy one, but the dremel will probably be the most expensive part of this project. No need to buy one with 100+ bits, you only really need 2 or 3 bits which I think the ones you will need are included with the most basic of dremels. Again, I will edit this later with a picture and names of the bits.

- Paint
I haven't bought the paints yet, or thoroughly looked into what paints work best with the foam, but i know for detail work I will be using Acrylic paints which you can get at any hobby store (JoAnn fabrics, Beverly's, Michael's, etc)

- Strapping and Buckles
There are 2 cheap ways to get these:
1) go to the Dollar store and buy a bunch of satchel bags or back packs that have the straps and buckles and cut them off
or
2) buy the straps and buckles in a pack on ebay

- Needle and Thread *optional*
You may need this for sewing on the buckles to the straps depending on what method you prefer. I've seen people sew, and some use hot glue, so it's whatever you're comfortable with.

I believe that's all, if I think of anything else I'll edit and add it in later. Now for the BIG question.

THERE ARE NO TEMPLATES! I will try to maybe make some and scan it into my computer and upload them for you all, but I'm still unsure of how I would do the measurements for templates. My method is simply having 360 degree view of the character, taking one piece of armor at a time, and drawing out a rough sketch of what it would look like if it wasn't curved and such. Essentially, I'm guessing and hoping for the best.

If you have any questions feel free to message me or email me at Achilla137@yahoo.com. I get emails on my phone so I'll see that sooner than if you leave me a message on here.

Pics coming soon!

FemShep FTW ;D

Looks like you have a good start too it, if your looking for more EVA foam check out childrens stores, they have the large flooring sheets that interlock usually, their made of the same stuff as your pads.

There are templates out there BUT they are male. Last year when I did the N7 I took the male templates and redesigned them for female.

Dudette, you are in luck! I have a Female ME charcater armor model.

If you would like a Screenshot of what it looks like, send me a PM.

EDIT---------------
Here's the picture of the model.
Femalearmor.jpg

All I have to do is edit it. It wouldn't take long at all.

I think this is her version of the Spectre armor, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thats realy cool, im making one also.
But also may i suggest a heat gun? Thats if you want shape the foam and stuff.
And you would def need it when you shape the breasts for the chestpeice.
I ended up making a breast form and then molding the foam to it.
Well anyways, good luck :)

Ok, I got some more files. If I can get them to open, they should give you gals some more armor choices.

Thats realy cool, im making one also.
But also may i suggest a heat gun? Thats if you want shape the foam and stuff.
And you would def need it when you shape the breasts for the chestpeice.
I ended up making a breast form and then molding the foam to it.
Well anyways, good luck :)

I had to double check my original post, but i do have a heat gun lol. i think this project would be really difficult without it haha. the way u did the chest is a lot like how GuyverGuy did it, though he had a flat piece of wood, nailed 2 plastic bowls upsidedown on it, then had a piece of plexiglass on top so the foam goes in the middle. your way DEFINITELY sounds easier lol

I had to double check my original post, but i do have a heat gun lol. i think this project would be really difficult without it haha. the way u did the chest is a lot like how GuyverGuy did it, though he had a flat piece of wood, nailed 2 plastic bowls upsidedown on it, then had a piece of plexiglass on top so the foam goes in the middle. your way DEFINITELY sounds easier lol

yea the breastform wasnt that much easier than the wood/bowls method. The wood/bowls method outcome is better.
You can also buy a breast piece from that dude. Im gonna order 2 soon since i wanna make different armors. Only downside is that its 75$ :|
After i order them, hopefully i figured how to print out the armor template by then. Its super freaking confusing >.<
Are you going to make a prop? I wanted to try to modify a cheap plastic gun but then i realized i wanted to make a omni-blade LOL

Hi,
Im also in the first steppes of making an N7 Armor, the male version though. Got all the patterns for the upper body done and ready. Havent found a proper store that sells the EVA foam. But to get to the point, I read on blogs that a hot knife can be used to cut the foam. Do you have any knowledge or experience on that? Would it make clean cuts?

Hi,
Im also in the first steppes of making an N7 Armor, the male version though. Got all the patterns for the upper body done and ready. Havent found a proper store that sells the EVA foam. But to get to the point, I read on blogs that a hot knife can be used to cut the foam. Do you have any knowledge or experience on that? Would it make clean cuts?

Yes i have heard of using a hot knife, though i haven't used one myself. The exacto knife works for me, simply because i already have so many of them lying around the house here, but i imagine the hot knife would cut smoother, though i think you'd still need to end up sanding down/dremelling the edges to make them smooth.

A combination of both will suffice then. Finally found a store that sells the EVA foam plates at a reasonable price, finished of the shin patterns yesterday. Here is a small over look of the patterns I made, the patterns dont include everything, the arms I made in a different programme, but once I have the confidence that my patterns are good, ill make them shareable.

N7_julianbeek_nl_patterns.jpg

Hey I intend to make a set of N7 armor for dudes I also wanna make an N7 Helmet with A visor that Goes up into the helmet. Also if you have them around you Harbor Freight sells EVA foam mats just like Guyver guy uses with that carbon fiber like pattern on it and it comes in a gunmetal grey color that and they sell them for $9.99 for 4 mats.

Hey I intend to make a set of N7 armor for dudes I also wanna make an N7 Helmet with A visor that Goes up into the helmet. Also if you have them around you Harbor Freight sells EVA foam mats just like Guyver guy uses with that carbon fiber like pattern on it and it comes in a gunmetal grey color that and they sell them for $9.99 for 4 mats.

Sadly we don't have Harbor Freight around where I live, but the price is much lower then over here, it.. it's geographicly hurting. I can only get one mat for that price. C'est la vie

Sorry man it is extremely nice to get mats cheap and close by but I can't wait to see your armor. Also if you get any good patterns for the shoulder pauldrons that would be awesome. Wish i could've helped more

I don't mind patching you up with some shoulder pauldron patterns, do you print in letter or A4? And what is your shoulder width (from shoulder to shoulder)?

Really it doesnt matter i print in letter also i tried ithicas and it just looked to small and not bulky and they are really small and wimpy. Also Ithicas were not really to scale with the rest of the patterns. But do you want from right shoulder to left or just one shoulder?

Yes, Ithica's design is a bit confusing and slightly off scale, albeit he did a nice job on the patterns. But I wanted a design closer to the actual ingame model. So I made some modifications to the inner shoulder and the curve of the outer shoulder. I need a measurement from your right shoulder to your left shoulder. To see if the current scale I have matches your body type.

right shoulder <---------|---neck---|---------> left shoulder

Thanks I know i pass for the Idiot i just wanted to make sure not to take the wrong measurement but thanks for the accurate models and patterns. The measure is 19 1/2 inches.
Thanks Zrock1013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back