ODST Foam WIP (Pic Heavy) GySGT Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i did try to stretch out the spring in the gun to make it shoot farther however that did not work and i dont have one in my collection that will fit so i think it will just become a static prop :( but i hope it will still look good either way.

Aw...frown face :(. You could check the hardware store for a stiffer spring...or there's always McMaster.com :p. I just inherited a modded Nerf sniper and believe me... it's awesomesauce :D

Either way, can't wait to see more!

Well i wish i had some kind of an update but it looks like things are going to take longer than expected for i just had a work incident where it involved me accidently running my finger thru a sheet metal roller and crushing half of my left index finger today, and lemme tell you it hurts ALOT lol. But alas i will try to get back to my suit sooner more so than later for i want to be able to finish it and start another one :p

But untill then i will still be looking around at other builds and giving my input and trying to help where i can.

Happy armoring 405th :)

Wow this is a great build. Very nice! I'm starting a foam ODST and I'll be using this for reference if you don't mind. Also, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. There's a pain medicine called Back Quell it works wonders on injuries like that. It's the best I've seen to take down swelling.

It sucks what happened to your finger. This is some really, really nice stuff, I just started making my own foam armor (hoping to get it complete for Supercon in Miami) and your stuff fills me with inspiration :D

OUCHY!! I can imagine the feeling bud, i work in a bowling alley as a tech and had my ringer go under a belt around a pully system. Hurts. I hope it heals fast so we can see some more awesome updates :)

Wow this is a great build. Very nice! I'm starting a foam ODST and I'll be using this for reference if you don't mind. Also, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. There's a pain medicine called Back Quell it works wonders on injuries like that. It's the best I've seen to take down swelling.

It sucks what happened to your finger. This is some really, really nice stuff, I just started making my own foam armor (hoping to get it complete for Supercon in Miami) and your stuff fills me with inspiration :D

OUCHY!! I can imagine the feeling bud, i work in a bowling alley as a tech and had my ringer go under a belt around a pully system. Hurts. I hope it heals fast so we can see some more awesome updates :)

o_O Ouch!!! That sounds super painful. Feel better!

非常感谢你,我会尽可能尝试更新.

Thanks you all for the sympathy and liking what i have done so far

@Ada, I'm sorry but im not sure what your trying to say there especially with it being in another language LOL!

Even with the injured finger i have started cutting out templates for another gun( I know i cant stop starting other side projects also lol ) this one i am going to do a slightly modified sliced MA5C originally modeled by Lex so hopefully it turns out ok :p

but until next time happy armoring 405th!!

The whole thing is looking amazing so far, Mustang! I love seeing others' work on this build as it really recharges my batteries to continue on my own! Ain't belt sanders awesome? Yes. yes they are.

Keep it up and I can't wait to see how much more you get done!

The whole thing is looking amazing so far, Mustang! I love seeing others' work on this build as it really recharges my batteries to continue on my own! Ain't belt sanders awesome? Yes. yes they are.

Keep it up and I can't wait to see how much more you get done!

It will def get done soon but right now its on hold till i finish my Sliced MA5C for the aromor build as i am trying to go character specific as GySGT Edward Buck. I already have the silenced pistol from the "Great" Tactonyx :) but very soon things will get rolling again for all the 405th to see :D

Well finally got some things in my life straightened out so hopefully by the end of this weekend i will have some updates to this almost forgotten thread, sorry everyone that it took me so long but i will try not to disappoint :)

HELM UPDATE!!!

Yesterday i started the fiberglassing portion of my helm, which after it dried and cured really surprised me as to the rigidness and
durability of the helm and also went alot smoother than i thought with this being my first pep and glass project. Makes me want
to go helm crazy for the betterment of mankind LOL.

This is the resin that i use which i also use on my 34 ford coupe works really well and sets up in only a few hours. Along with a popsicle stir stick,
1 cup measuring cup for the resin and the catalyst hardener mixed at approx 15 drops per ounce which i made a half of a cup at a time which is
4 ounces of resin then computes to 60 drops of the hardener, also cheap throw away 2inch paint brushes, Fiberglass cloth cut to approx 2-3 inch
squares for easier handling, then i put a thin layer of resin inside the helm so the cloth would stay in place overlapping the cloth by half to give it
2 layers thickness of fiberglass for higher strength and then another coat of resin over the top of the placed fiberglass cloth. let dry rinse repeat
if necessary :p

The materials used, not pictured are nitrile gloves and my respirator and fans all safety oriented so please keep it safe, the fumes from a polyurethane
based resin can be very harmful and even kill you if proper measures are not taken.
0728122031.jpg

2-3 inch squares of fiberglass cloth
0728122030.jpg

And the placement of the cloth into the helm and resined over to complete a hard shell for your noggin :p
0728122029.jpg

0728122117.jpg

Its an older pic but just to remind y'all of what helm and style that i am working on
0409121855.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic quality as they are from my phone
Again TY all for stopping by and comments questions and constructive criticism are always welcome :D

And as always happy armoring 405th :cool

Yay! You're back on your build! Helmet is looking snazzy! :)

Thank you girlie! :D Not as great as your awesome build but I'm trying not to disappoint. :p

Small update:
Had a lot going on today around the house with the yard and cleaning up inside as well. Let
it get ahead of me a little bit but i did squeeze in some time to get the visor cut out and sanding around
the edges of the cutout:p Sometime this week i will try to get some bondo and sanding done and put a
lil bit of detail into it as well as get the visor cut out and fitted for installation.
0729121734.jpg

I know its not much but it was something i wanted to share before i go back to work tomorrow.

As always feedback is always welcome,
And happy armoring 405th :cool

Major Update!!!
I have been working alot but in my down time here at home i finally managed to complete my helmet through the bondo some carving of
detail and paint and of course the visor

I sure did not realize how much time goes into the pep and bondo method so to you guys who make those type of suits, my hats off to ya.
But i am extremely happy with the outcome of my helmet and also how solid it is doing it this way.

Starting in this picture is of course the bondo, With the helm file i lowered the line degrees down to about 150-160 so the cardstock
would take a more natural shape with out so many bends in it which in this case also holds back alot of bondo work required to a minimum
to just the basic areas such as the top of the dome and the chin :p
0803121301.jpg

0803121301a.jpg

And then of course the time spent sanding which i cut down using an orbital sander rather than by hand to save them for some carving into
the bondo and the helm also
0804121200.jpg

Then came some of the carving into the helm to give it some detail that was not in the pep file using a rotary tool cuz if i would of had
to pep those small pieces i think i would've had an aneurysm. some of the carving was into the glassed cardstock itself and some into the bondo
0804121202.jpg

0804121203.jpg

0804121234.jpg

After which i gave the helm a light coat of primer to find some of the areas that still needed sanding on some of the seams from the original
pep itself to smooth it out. the dents and scratches in the top of the helm are from an imperfect bondo job but i like it as it makes the helm look
like it has had some wear.
0804121441.jpg

0804121251.jpg

0804121442c.jpg

0804121442.jpg

then using a dark grey primer and taping off the top stripe i sprayed on the main color of the helm and the color i will be suing for the suit also
0805121440.jpg

0805121441.jpg

Using ZakuAce's method for the visor linked below and 4 coats of VHT Nightshades gave it an opaque look with out comprimising visibility
looking out the helm
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26508-Halo-3-ODST-Visors?highlight=Halo+ODST+visors
0805121449a.jpg

0805122022a.jpg

Major Update cont... apologies for the double post but i had more pictures than were allowed per post

After getting the visor hot glued in place, for the bottome edge of the helm was looking rough so from a cheap helmet i bought i robbed the parts
from i put a rubber seal around the bottom of my helm, and also added the padding from the motorcross helmet to the inside of my brain bucket
0805122023.jpg

0805122022b.jpg

And with out further adue her is my helm in all her fabulous glory!!!
0805122022.jpg

0805122021a.jpg

0805122021.jpg

I hope you all enjoy my build and comments are always welcome :cool

Till next time, Happy Armoring 405th!!! :D

Been making some minor progress today by using an acrylic caulk to fill in the lines/gaps between the glued pieces and adding some minor details in the shins and forearms but i will try to get some pics up soon, right now my phone is acting up so i will try no to delay :D

Hey man! Nice job! I'm thinking about doing the "moving" parts of my build in foam. What are you using for glue, if you don't mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back