GoW Armor - My very first project with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsobin

UPDATE: After 5 weeks hardcore, armors are pretty much COMPLETED!!!

carnival-main.jpg

First of all, I would like to thank Jedi Tomray for all the good advices he gave me. Before I go into details, here is the first shot:

I know it ain't an awesome piece of work, but consider these circumstances:

1. It is not yet complete!
2. It is my very first try at this.
3. I have limited time (I started 2 weeks ago, everything needs to be done 2 weeks from now for a carnival). Other pieces being made at the same time (will post pics as they are completed): 2 more armors, low detail helmet for my kid, belt, shoulder pads, graves, etc... I need 3 full constumes basically.
4. Materials that I can get in Croatia are CRAP!!!! Resin is completely unrefined, bondo is way too thick even without catalyst and impossible to spread nicely, etc...

I'm sure there are other excuses, but I will make them once everything is done :)

Some more pics:

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Comments/advices/help most welcome!

Oh yeah, very important - no crafting foam in Croatia! I had to use some stupid rubber foam for details, it absorbs too much paint (even when resined), you can't work edges nicely, and it's shitty material to work with overall.

UPDATE ON 3 LANCERS TO GO ALONG WITH COSTUMES:

lancer1.jpg

lancer2.jpg

lancer3.jpg

lancer4.jpg

lancer5.jpg

I have to admit I am pleased with the way they are turning out. There is still a lot of work to do on them, but hopefully they will be done by next friday.

OK, this may be an overkill with photos, BUT... Carnival is in one week, and since this is my very first time doing any of this stuff (including painting), I would really like to ask some of you seasoned guys for input/advice. I put more than 100 hours into this already (I've been putting a lot of late night hours into this project), and I estimate another 35 before everything is done. So, here are progress pics, and if you have any comments, please help me out.

Shoulders set 2, bondoed and ready for sanding:

IMG_1261.jpg

Belt 1, pretty much done cept for fitting:

IMG_1262.jpg

Shoulders set 1, painted, need a few foam details:

IMG_1263.jpg

Belt 2, fiberglassed, ready for bondo:

IMG_1264.jpg

Lancer 1, a bit of paint on it:

IMG_1265.jpg

Lancers 2 and 3, one with main paint, one with parts paint:

IMG_1266.jpg

Kid's armor, pretty much done. Not gonna put too much effort into something he will grow out of in a few months:

IMG_1267.jpg

Armor 1, bondoed, needs quite a bit of work. Should turn out better than the first one I made, listed on top:

IMG_1268.jpg

My improvised workshop :)

IMG_1269.jpg

I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Those lancers are epic! and all from a solid block of wood?! Perhaps we'd all work a bit faster if we had deadlines.

An update on the shoulders - set 1 is all done. Here are some pics:

shoulders1.jpg

shoulders3.jpg

People don't seem to be very interested in GoW props :(

Those lancers are epic! and all from a solid block of wood?! Perhaps we'd all work a bit faster if we had deadlines.

Yea, solid wood. Main body was just transfered from a printed pic to a thick board using ink paper (not sure if that's what it's actually called - it's blue paper that when you press on it, it leaves a mark on the surgace underneath). That thick piece was then sanded around hilt and edges to get nice curves. Then a single layer of thin plywood was added to each side for details. Chainsaw was cut from another piece of plywood - i then made a cut on the main part for chansaw to fit in, and then glued it in.

I will post some pics of lancer itself in a new thread once it's done. I'll try to capture all details to show the work itself.

Those are awesome pics bro. I love gow and halo at the same time. my brother made some make shift lancers with saws on them they came out crapy but cool.

using ink paper (not sure if that's what it's actually called - it's blue paper that when you press on it, it leaves a mark on the surgace underneath).
... Carbon paper. I use that stuff religiously in my artworks and for tracing too. Still amazed!

Here is another update - I put in a nice day's work:

1. Put in LED's:

pr1.jpg

2. Managed to find a nice shallow case for 1.5 volt batteries, making total 12 volts:

pr2.jpg

3. Put in a few foam pieces in front, as well as wood plates for the chest:

pr3.jpg

4. A close-up on the wood chest plates. I reinforced them with acrylic silicon for better binding and to fill in gaps:

pr4.jpg

5. A few foam details on the back:

pr5.jpg

6. And now some fun shots:

pr6.jpg

pr7.jpg

pr8.jpg

I am really happy I was able to fit into the armor without having to cut the side like on the first one. I did scratch the s..t out of my arms on fiberglass though. I will have to send it a bit more on the edges and inside but it should be fine.

At this point all the "armor plating" is in place. However, I ran out of pop rivets (I used 82, and I need another 100), and I wanted to put primer and paint tonight. It will have to wait till tomorrow I guess. Well, here are some new pics.

armor4.jpg

armor2.jpg

armor1.jpg

armo3.jpg

Well, it's almost complete. Few more paint details and it's pretty much done. So, after 5 weeks hardcore, it will be ready for the carnival on tuesday after all. Not that people seem to be that much interested in Gears posts, but here are some shots anyway.

cos5.jpg

cos3.jpg

cos2.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh627/dalmatinac2011/cos1.jpg[/IMG

DUAL WIELD THIS!!!!

[ATTACH=full]158528[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• cos4.jpg
    cos4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 185
Looks great man. Good to see people still working on Gears stuff. I hope you don't take this the wrong way but you look a lot like Novak Djokovic. Its kind of scary lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back