MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work Drack. Fancy giving me some pointers for unfolding the pep file for the helmet. Im unsure which parts need to be kept and which parts need to be adjusted. Any help would be a huge help....

Thank you mate. Concerning unfolding pep files for foam work it's really hard to put it into words. However don't dismay I can point you in the right direction. 2 of my 4 builds helped me learn to understand how it's done. My first build was a resin/bondo iron man which like most I gave up on. This led me to start my foam iron man which I found much more agreeable. Because there are files for both resin and foam iron mans builds I suggest downloading them both and observing the differences in them and this should then give you an idea on how to then unfold the pep in a similar way. Just download one piece as you wont need to compare every part of course. You will find you have a bunch of parts that won't be used just move them outside the paper perimeters then the print option will ignore them.

You have a Epic work of art going here. I do have one question for you tho. What type glue are you using? I don't see all the mess that comes along with hot glue. Thanks and Keep posting these Inspirational pic's there just awesome.

I Just use hot glue. My technique is to not put the hot glue to close to the edge of the parts so when I push them together only a small amount pushes out. If the parts line up perfect without any gaps then I just rub off the excess glue making sure not to burn myself too much. If there is a little gap as sometimes it happens I wet my finger and smooth the glue down.

Also I will be doing some video tutorials showing all my techniques because I see alot of people start bondo builds and never complete them (me being one of them). I think that more projects would be finished if people had the info on how to achieve their builds using different means as I found foam work coming very close to bondo work if done right (not quite as crisp a finish but good enough).

This is amazing work! I have been pondering how I could build armour as I live in an appartment in Munich, but a foam build would let me sit in my lounge watching telly while the glue cools.

If you're ever in Munich, let me know - I'd love to get some advice from you over a beer or two.

Ciclismo I would love to have a sit down a talk to the earlier hours of the morning with a beer in hand with you, BUT, my wife is having a baby in the next week or two (fingers crossed) so I would guess when the time comes when I could you should have a suit built by then. I will have to make sure I have a beer ready in my tutorial video so I can raise my glass to your health :)

i am just blown away at the beauty of your foam build and it makes me want to redo some of the pieces i have made to see if i can do better by figuring each cutout

Thanks for the info. I have the mentioned Iron Man files so a few hours of pep tweaking awaits. A £6 camping mat and some 2mm foam sheets are soon to meet their maker !!

Some pics and an update are sure to follow.

I'll be back.................

Today 09:37 PMHaggis
Thanks for the info. I have the mentioned Iron Man files so a few hours of pep tweaking awaits. A £6 camping mat and some 2mm foam sheets are soon to meet their maker !!

Glad I could be of some help. Look forward to seeing what you come up with and good Luck man :)

I really like you're method of forming the visor. :) great foam work :)

Im curious as to what the gold film is, or is that the perspex?

Keith the 2 gold films are just basic motor cycle inserts. Seemed silly to spend all that money on 2 helmet visors when it can be done at a fraction of the price. Just wish I had some time to get my visor finished. Not enough hours in the day and all that :p

I understand money issues, for one of my helmets I used door screening. I spray painted it silver cuz I had no other color preferences at the time. The bright side is I didn't have to worry about venting the helm :)

Also when you have a foam helmet, do you cut out where u want the venting before hand?

Money problems weren't really the issue I just don't believe in paying extra for some one else to do the work when I can do it myself. It only took me a little thought, less cash and 10 mins to get what I needed. Ok I haven't done the other 30 mins it will probably take to detail it but still I saved cash :)

Helmet Update.

I Managed to get the padding, electronics and visor finished yesterday. Here are some pics for you.

I would like to add I am not too happy with the visor detailing as it is a bit cyclopsy. I will be altering it slightly though but the pics I took show the end result anyway.

Visor Creation Explained on Page 3

Perspex dremeled out.

IMG_0507.jpg

Gold Motorcycle Inserts Cut & Added.

IMG_0531.jpg

In it goes :)

IMG_0509.jpg

Got a cheap sponge and hacked it up for the padding.

IMG_0519.jpg

Here it is all finished.

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Had to slip this pic in :)
IMG_0515.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back Update.

Got a few little bits and details to finish on the chest and back and the torso will be finished. Going to order some strapping this week to get it wearable.

IMG_0539.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet looking visor and lighting. Back plate is looking awesome too. And thank you for the tech on gluing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back