MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
That helmet looks really nice for being foam. I thought about making my hayabusa helmet out of foam, but it just seems TOO complex for foam, and besides, I already have the thing pepped from a LONG time ago. XD

Also I wanted to know, did you use a thin foam for the helmet? It doesn't look like the same 1/2" thick foam that people use for the main parts of the armor.

It's 10mm thick so yeah the same as what people use for armour. I do have 6mm foam but it's really bendy and I wanted something more solid.

Your method for forming the visor sounds cool (or hot, as the case may be). I can't wait to see how that turns out. I'd be worried about it sagging through too much making the visor look bubbled.

Your method for forming the visor sounds cool (or hot, as the case may be). I can't wait to see how that turns out. I'd be worried about it sagging through too much making the visor look bubbled.

I had already done it before writing how I was going to do it and it worked perfect. No distortion or bubbling. The perspex only needs to be in a preheated oven at 160 degrees for about 5 minutes, make sure that you have it on something it shouldn't stick to. Make sure you hold the ends ONLY when removing it, as the gloves (wear thick gloves if trying this method) leave slight marks but that's ok as you don't look out of there anyway. The other thing to make sure is that you do the whole procedure in one swift movement. Make any mistakes and I could see it not ending up perfectly clear also try to allow gravity to bend it. I didn't force it into shape I allowed it to sag enough to fit it through the neck hole then placed it in perfect position first time. Then due to being only slighty soft it slowly sank to line up exactly and then hardened. I will put up pics just been busy building a new shower unit in my bathroom while doing sneaky bits on my helmet :)

Took a quick break from the shower and got some photos done.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Will be detailing the 2 visor layers next.

Latest helmet update.
Got the undercoat on and all the lighting hooked up now.

IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All painted. I am not completely happy with it as its to clean. Once I start to get some paints together will rough it up a bit but this will do for now.
Also thank you for your comments guys its what keeps me driving forward :) Visor detailing next.

IMG_0454.jpg

Wow i am blown away at this not being pep, this is completely amazing and makes me want to try something like this for an ODST helm

It look pretty good for a foam helmet build, for my next build I will try this method but it wont be a Spartan.

keep it up, looking forward to see more

Pretty good he says. This looks outstanding. This is the best foam helmet build by far. Drack, your work is awesome buddy. Keep it up!:)

Thank you Tony. The second I saw that Elite build I checked to see if it was yours moving at a super hero speed. Still from what I have seen yourS will be equally as good. Do you know how to do the animitronic for the eyes and mouth?

Sorry for the late response, I actually worte up a huge response, but the computer has a mind of its own and deleted it, so I did not have the energy to re-write...lol. Hopefully, I can achieve the level of awesomeness that Pete and his crew did, but It's my first sculpt and its taking some time to figure things out. About the animatronics, I have no idea how to accomplish this. Basically plan to read a lot:) Now back to this awesome build. Sorry for de-railing.

All painted. I am not completely happy with it as its to clean. Once I start to get some paints together will rough it up a bit but this will do for now.
Also thank you for your comments guys its what keeps me driving forward :) Visor detailing next.

IMG_0454.jpg
I know you said, your not totally happy, but this helmet is awesome. your result with foam are amazing. Great job and nice idea on forming the visor. I love when people bring great Ideas to the table. Keep up the awesome work!:D

Tony

I just don't understand how you work with foam so well. It looks great man. Wish I could get clean cuts like that for my gun build. The paint job is good, and it does look like it's fresh out of the armory. I think that's still a good look, but if you rough it up a bit I'm sure you'll get a good result there too.

Started my chest this evening. Hopefully it's not too small will see how it takes shape when I start on the back piece. In the meantime here are some pics of it so far.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg

Wow! That chest is looking great! I'm actually about to tackle mine and I wanted to know if you have any tips for making it. Thanks!

Thank you guys :)

Wow! That chest is looking great! I'm actually about to tackle mine and I wanted to know if you have any tips for making it. Thanks!

All I can say is make sure you have lots of fresh blades to keep the cuts clean. Plan each piece before you cut it so you have a clear and exact picture of it in your head first. That way everything should fit together perfectly.

Great work Drack. Fancy giving me some pointers for unfolding the pep file for the helmet. Im unsure which parts need to be kept and which parts need to be adjusted. Any help would be a huge help....

You have a Epic work of art going here. I do have one question for you tho. What type glue are you using? I don't see all the mess that comes along with hot glue. Thanks and Keep posting these Inspirational pic's there just awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back