MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not the kind of foam I have - you seem to be just using EVA foam at a smaller thickness. Craft foam or foamies is made from a different material and trust me, it is too soft.

Nope, I used exactly that. 12"x18" Silly Winks Foam Sheets. All of this craft foam or foamies or whatever is EVA foam(even Wandy Foam lists it as such) and is identical in density and probably comes from the same, cheap, Chinese sources. Dollar store foam sheets are the same material(except I can only get that in 1mm here). I've purchased 6mm "Foamies" from Joann and it is identical.

What you're saying doesn't even make sense about an xacto vs. scissors unless the xacto is just extremely dull or you're literally trying to cut it without holding the edge you're starting on.

Honestly, why would I write anything but what my actual experiences were? And I do use sharp blades, trust me on that one too.

The stuff you've made your helmet from and the stuff I use look different by the way. I'll get to the workshop tonight and take a few pictures to show what I have and why it doesn't work for a helmet IMHO.

Honestly, why would I write anything but what my actual experiences were? And I do use sharp blades, trust me on that one too.

I never like to take sides on here but vargatom is right in one of the previous posts craft foam is weak far too weak for an entire build and my craft knife chews it up where as scissors work great on it. I guess it is possible though that the different foams are just named the same but in fact different types so they aren't both eva which would explain the difference in properties.

I guess it is possible though that the different foams are just named the same but in fact different types so they aren't both eva which would explain the difference in properties.

Yeah it's gotta be a same name, different thing issue. I've never seen any thing labeled craft foam/foamies/foam sheets at any of the hobby stores or various places you can get it that has not been a thickness of EVA foam. I went through a lot of stores looking for various thicknesses of foam so I knew where to get them and where the best prices were.

We don't need to continue to muck up drack's thread with this though. We should move to PMs or a new thread.

It's cool I don't mind. Too be honest most foam matting you can get is EVA foam there are just different densities. I have bought from lots of different places and nearly every time the foam is slightly different. I think the foam Zat is using is plastazote, not sure if it is called something different in different countries but it's basically flight case padding or close to it. I really want to buy some because it is so much easier to cut but is more expensive here in the UK. With all the suits I keep starting and the ones on the wish list I can't afford it :(

I am certain what I'm using is EVA foam. It's an identical texture and density(by feel) to Harbor Freight foam mats. Plastazote is way too expensive to be sold in 3mm 12x18 sheets at Hobby Lobby for 89 cents each. Here is the online page: EVA Foam Sheet for the product that I made my helmet out of. In the picture, it appears grey but that's because of the flash combined with the matte texture of the foam reflecting the flash.

Ah ok. From the pics it gives the look of plastazote. Would be sweet to use plastazote though. Xrobots suits look really nice and I want mine too with out all the care I have to take to replicate it. Maybe if I start doing commissions (away from 405th ofc) I will save to make my self a plastizote suit.

Ehh, someone misplaced the keys to the floor where my 'workshop' is, so I can't get in tonight :(

Anyway, it must be what drack said about density, the craft foamies' strength are at most half of a standard floor mat, but probably even less. A helmet from this material might not even be able to support its own weight... not to mention trying to put a motorcycle visor in it, the thing would cause some serious warping.
LilTyrant and RoxyRoo are using this material to detail and coat their floor mat pieces, because it's so flexible that they can work with less seams.
Pic stolen from Lil's thread

Also, this softness is the reason that cutting with a knife doesn't work that well, the material sometimes starts to bend instead of splitting.
But when you use scissors, the direction of the force is from the top and from the bottom of the sheet and it's also multiplied because of the torque effect (or whatever, I donát know English well enough for this :) )

Either way both foams work. I have used 10mm and 6mm on my builds for different parts. I just used 10mm for my helmet because the 6mm I have isn't a very dense foam so is too bendy.

Anyway, it must be what drack said about density, the craft foamies' strength are at most half of a standard floor mat, but probably even less. A helmet from this material might not even be able to support its own weight... not to mention trying to put a motorcycle visor in it, the thing would cause some serious warping.

Did you literally buy the 6mm foam from wandy foam on ebay or was that just an example? I'm really intrigued by this extremely soft foam and want to check some out.

Did you literally buy the 6mm foam from wandy foam on ebay or was that just an example?

I did get it there, but I'm not sure if it was 4 or 6mm. In any case it's unlike the material Zat German is using; and to be fair I might try to get some of that to see if it'd work with a helmet.

For now, I have the 4mm stuff only to add details of various kinds, I also have a bunch of 2mm sheets for the same purpose.

very awesome build!!!! does that undersuit breathe well??

It's black thermal underwear and yeah I guess it breaths ok. It's not what I would call my undersuit though it's just something for now till I get started on making my actual undersuit. I should finish the suit off but it's tryin to finds the motivation atm, so much to do, so little time :(

Thorn cracks the wip and yells get back to work.....That help.;) all well, that's about all I can do from here. I really am looking forward to seeing more of this awesome work tho:cool

I think this is going to have to be my first post. Such an inspirational and educational thread, I'm definitely bookmarking it for later reference for when I get around to making a suit myself.

How'd the soles turn out on the boots? An extra 3+ inches sounds like a good enough reason to make some Spartan armor, just so I'd break the 6' mark.

Anyway, cheers and looking forward to more.

Thorn cracks the wip and yells get back to work.....That help.;) all well, that's about all I can do from here. I really am looking forward to seeing more of this awesome work tho:cool

Thank you Thorn I do need a whipping but I have lost my drive for the build so working on other things to keep me motivated. I really wanted to do a CQB video diary but the only free time I have at the moment is late at night when lighting isn't great for the camera. I will finish this suit as Halo 4 release is getting close so that should snap me into it soon. I do have another build on at the moment. I will start a thread soon but need to finish off a couple of pieces before I do.

I think this is going to have to be my first post. Such an inspirational and educational thread, I'm definitely bookmarking it for later reference for when I get around to making a suit myself.

How'd the soles turn out on the boots? An extra 3+ inches sounds like a good enough reason to make some Spartan armor, just so I'd break the 6' mark.

Anyway, cheers and looking forward to more.

Ah yes the soles. I didn't get my cobbler to sole them in the end I just bought some rubber soling and did it my self. Only down side is I couldn't get very thick soling but with the sole, foam boot, para boot inside and some foam in the para boot for a little extra height I get around 4 inches :)

Woah, so it looks like I need to basically resin my helmet now, maybe use bondo(?)... then I need to cut some perspex into shape, and then use the dangerous, awesome yet risky method of oven heating the visor :v
More questions!vvv
1. So when you take the perspex out, you mentioned letting gravity shape it?
2. Would I have to insert the perspex, then tip my helmet forward for the shape to take? What if it sags inward?
3. With my thick gloves and such, how will I press the hot perspex into place on my helmet? Around the edges of it?

1. Yeah sort of. Let gravity do most of the work, you will need to help it bend of course but just by slightly moving your hands towards each other it will curve enough.

2. You don't want the Perspex to hot and floppy. You want it so it's just softened up enough to form it. By the time mine was in the helmet and in place it had already started cooling enough for it not to sag at all. If I remember right I had my helmet face down just to make it easier to slide the visor in and let it mould itself into place.

3. I just popped it inside, it slowly sank into the right place. I may have had to help it a little to make sure it rested on the helmet nice and snug but you run the risk of having it curve in 2 directions and you want the visor to curve in 1 direction only so the inserts can align correctly (if that makes sense). If you are bondoing your helmet then I wouldn't worry to much about any gaps between the helmet and visor, cause like many others have, you can just use some filler to get rid of them after like this,
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36171-CEREAL-S-Mk-VI-Comprehensive-WIP-**(With-Videos)**/page18

Incredible build Drack. I've been thinking heavily about starting a foam build of my own but was pretty skeptical until I saw how simple you made it seem. You might've tipped the favor on it lol

Thank you man. I would have finally had an update for you today but my glue gun exploded last night. Not to fear though I just popped out and bought a new one.
Now Halloween is apon us I thought I should get a fully functual costume finished for it and this one is the closest to done. Thing is on its own it wouldn't look right so started a prop to go with it yesterday. Hopefully I will have it done in the next 2 days, maybe even by tonight :)

Thanks for watching,
Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back