MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0429.jpg
what's that golden thingie???

Hi again Drack

Many many thanks for your comprehensive build thread, you really helped me out, I originally started with fibreglass but could not make the breast and backplate how i wanted it. I got hold of some foam to do the thighs with and you were kind enough to help me out when i was PVA glue sealing the foam. After you put me onto the right product i set about making the chest and backplate again out of foam and after much work i have finally finished my mkVI armour (still have to complete the undersuit but thats the easy part for me) anyway, i though i would poost this picture just to say thanks for the support you give the less able members.
mc9.jpg
halo004.jpg

Many many thanks and keep up the good work :)

All painted. I am not completely happy with it as its to clean. Once I start to get some paints together will rough it up a bit but this will do for now.
Also thank you for your comments guys its what keeps me driving forward :) Visor detailing next.

IMG_0454.jpg
i like your helmet it came out awsome

@ Fury101.
Glad I could help. Suit looks awesome man you did a great job. Will I see you next year at any of the cons in the UK?

@ Tafoya007.
Cheers for the compliment but the pic you posted isn't how my helmet ended up looking. It looks like this now and I am more than happy with it. I do have some more paint work to do before I clear coat it but I think this looks way better :)

IMG_0861.jpg

Drack, I read a good 30 something pages into this thread and all of your IronMan thread. I even watched the foaming tutorial haha. I must say that you are amazing. I plan on using foam for my Reach style armor and I am now even contemplating foam for the helm as well! You are a god with the foam and I can only hope to be half as good as you when I am done! Thank you from someone who's interesting in building has JUST been truly piqued last night. Your detailed builds make me much more confident getting ready to start out.

Wow thank you so much. It is good see some people out there still research properly. I remember when I first started out I must have read hundreds of pages of people's threads before I started my projects. Hopefully when I am finished with them my videos can help others save the searching through countless threads to piece together the techniques needed to achieve a good build. I have a couple of other vids to do on technique then I will do a comprehensive video diary of making a helmet from start to finish. I am still undecided on whether to do the Ironman Stealth helmet or a CQB helmet. I like the idea of the CQB because there will be a new challenge in it for me, the visor. Either way I am sure it will be good to show how it's done in a more practical format.

Good luck with your build and look forward to seeing how you do :)
Tom.

Hi again Drack

Once again thanks for all the help you give us first timers :)

My last picture i put up looked a bit lame so i hope you dont mind but im posting a pic with the partially completed undersuit so you can see just how your help has let me build something i am genuinely proud of :)
halo014.jpg

halo011.jpg

Master Chief is so sexy :p (with my fiancee and bridesmaid, im getting married September 15th woohoo) :)
Picture002-1.jpg

Truly breathtaking work, drack. I know foam is flexible and spongy, but just how well does it hold up to general wear and tear? Also, does the paint chafe? Just wondering how different it is from fiberglassing. Again, excellent work. I love the battle damage, too! I know that the custom wear is probably going to be the hardest part for me (not so good with paint), but your builds are very believable!!

Superb work!!! I can say that I have been spending the last few hours just going through each of your threads and struggling to keep my jaw off of the floor! It really makes me excited to start my own build. Also, your tutorials have been super helpful in helping me figure out all of the planning that I new to do and all of the materials that I need. Thank you so much!

Superb work!!! I can say that I have been spending the last few hours just going through each of your threads and struggling to keep my jaw off of the floor! It really makes me excited to start my own build. Also, your tutorials have been super helpful in helping me figure out all of the planning that I new to do and all of the materials that I need. Thank you so much!

Thank you for your kind words and glad I can help. Keep tuned because the video diary of the CQB helmet should be underway next week. Just been getting some stuff ready so I can start it.

Tom.

Drack, if you have the time, I have a couple of questions about your helmet. I'm working on the 3D templates for my own and there are some issues I'm worried about ;)

First is, what are the dimensions of yours? I'm going to use 10mm foam for most of it as a base layer - I don't think 6mm craft foam is strong enough to hold any reasonable shape. But this means the sides and top will be a lot thicker than normal pepped/fiberglassed helmets. So it has to be a bit bigger this way and my head isn't exactly small either ;)
I guess it's possible to mold it but I have absolutely no experience and buying all the tools and materials for a first attempt would be quite expensive...

I also don't know if I can fit a fan into it anywhere, not to mention the batteries, but I'll try to leave some space for them. How was wearing such a foam helmet like, wasn't it too hot, is a fan necessary? Where should a fan be placed anyway, and should it blow air inside our outside?

What about padding, is it necessary with a foam helmet, considering it's not as hard or spiky/sharp as a fiberglassed one? And is it strong enough to hold a motorcycle visor in place if I don't try to heat-form it as you did?

Oh, and how's hearing and talking? I'm thinking about sneaking in as many disguised holes as possible...

Guess that's enough for a first run ;)

Just measured the width of my helmet and it's 260mm from the lighting holder bit to the other one. The problem with people trying to work with others scales is that all our dimensions are different so mine might not work for you. DBmike tried my Ironman helmet on and although he got it on I wont let him try again through fear of tearing.

As for the fan I haven't put one in yet but so far I have 2X 9V batteries on the sides of the inner mouth piece (Jaw I guess). There is actually alot of room in the helmets as I put in padding, not so much for comfort but to stop the helmet sliding around when moving my head. I will be adding a fan in and there are a few places I could put it. The intake of air isn't really important it's more of a case of having the fan to cool you. The simple process of the air evaporating the moisture on your skin is enough to cool you. I haven't got that warm wearing it yet but I haven't done a long period of time in it yet. I think I will be putting mine on the inner top of the helmet pointing the flow of air down across my face. This will cool me plus prevent visor fog. There is so much room in fact that I will be installing a voice changer too as there is room in the mouth piece for the mic and room above the ear for the circuit. The only thing I am still trying to work out is where to put the speaker. My main worry is feed back. I do have 2 vents on either side of the jaw so I may split the difference and install a speaker on each side but I am no techy and will consult some one before trying it.

Lastly hearing is fine but if you have alot of people talking around you, music or general noise you have to speak up, but like I said I am putting in an aid for that :)

Hope this helps,
Tom.

I'm not building a mark VI helmet, so it's just to know if mine is too big. I'm 184 cm tall, probably a bit shorter than you, so I guess if my helmet isn't much bigger than yours then it should be OK. However, could you measure length and height too? :)

So the fan is supposed to draw air in from the outside, is that right? As far as I know with computer cases you want to have two, the front fan draws cool air in and the back fan pushes warm air out... But hopefully my brain won't get that hot :D

Thanks for the answers, it helps a lot. And with the size I guess I'll just have to find out how good our makeshift 3D scanning of me has worked :)

The depth is 340mm and height is 250-260mm.

The different between a fan cooling a computer and a person is that we perspire so have a fluid to evaporate and a machine doesn't. So a computer needs cool air to cool it where as the act of evaporation cools us we just need the fans air flow to achieve it. Best put "When a liquid evaporates it needs to acquire potential energy to change from a liquid to a gas. This is stored as heat. This heat does not create a rise in temperature. This heat is known as latent heat. Usually you heat a kettle and the water boils. This is putting potential energy into the water, it then boils. When water evaporates , it takes heat from its surroundings to do so. The effect of taking heat out of the surroundings is that the surroundings cool down. Therefore evaporation has a cooling effect on things."

I don't think 6mm craft foam is strong enough to hold any reasonable shape.

You're incorrect. I used 3mm craft foam for my ODST helmet based off Hugh Holder's awesome model and it worked out great if I do say so myself. Thinner is actually easier to work with than thicker, makes and holds curves easier, is easier to create some details and doesn't require beveling at all when pieces come together at sharp angles. Anything short of someone punching it and it's going to keep the shape it has. Even then, I could probably just pop it back out if it didn't tear. You would probably have issues with 2mm or thinner just being too floppy though.

Drack, thanks for the detailed info! Apparently my helmet is going to be a few cms larger, but that's probably because of the design. I'll have to find a way to get better measurements of my head though... And that is a proper explanation of perspiration! :)

Zat German
That is not the kind of foam I have - you seem to be just using EVA foam at a smaller thickness. Craft foam or foamies is made from a different material and trust me, it is too soft. If I were to put batteries and fans into a craft foam helmet it might even collapse under the weight.
It is in fact so soft that an x-acto knife can't make clear cuts with it, the foam starts to bend and tear instead. Scissors work far better even on the 6mm version.

This is the type of material that I've got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pieces-1...000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d3d9e558

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back