MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

drack

So guys I mentioned on my Iron Man build that I Started something new while I was cooling off over my Iron Man face burning incident and this is what I have come up with. Incase anyone wonders where I got the files for a foam build from I simply downloaded the pep file and took off the tabs and unnecessary bits not needed for a foam build. Some modification was needed as not all the templates worked together perfect but no major alterations where made.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_04051.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

That's amazing! I've always relied on making helmets out of pep because I didn't think I could accomplish all the complex shapes a helmet has with foam. But you're showing me the way! Now if I hadn't already made 3 helmets this year and wasn't so burned out about it, I'd take a try at it too

That's amazing! I've always relied on making helmets out of pep because I didn't think I could accomplish all the complex shapes a helmet has with foam. But you're showing me the way! Now if I hadn't already made 3 helmets this year and wasn't so burned out about it, I'd take a try at it too

I agree with spacemeat. Helmets are the one piece of armor in which I solely rely on pep to construct with. YOU however have achieved a great amount of detail with foam. this give's me hope for future builds because I honestly hate using pep except for a guideline to build with foam. Awesome work so far, can't wait to see the helmet finished!!!

I am really glad it has worked the way I thought it would because I am not a fan of resin and bondo plus with the wife expecting I don't want any dangerous fumes around. Compared to my Ironman helmet this was one tough build. As long as you think out each piece before you cut it then you should be ok. Just finishing off the last details then i will have an update pic for you. Should be able to get it done tonight, then it's the really hard part, what colour to use as this will determine my overall suit colour scheme.

You've got one Sweet looking helmet so far. After seeing you're Iron Man, I already know this will turn out looking just as good as any pep. and I look forward to seeing the rest. :D

Lighting tutorial for my helmet.

While looking through some boxes came across an LED light that clips to your cap/hat.

IMG_0419.jpg

Pulled it apart for the mirrored cones the LEDs sit in.
I want the light to be projected out as much as possible.

IMG_0420.jpg

Then cut them all apart and glued them to my blue LEDs. Took some 15mm plastic plumbing pipe and cut four bits off to house the LEDs. Painted the parts that will be exposed black.

IMG_0421.jpg

Here is a pic of all the bits used for 1 light.

IMG_0422.jpg

1. Blue LED.
2. A strip of foil, mine was cut from the container my cheese cake was in from the night before :). Used it because the foil was nice and thick.
3. 15mm tube.
4. The cone I removed from the head light.
5. 2 pieces of frosted plastic. In the UK our milk comes in frosted plastic bottles so hacked one of those up. I guess clear plastic might work as well with hot glue sandwiched between them.

I glued the LED and cone together. Painted the tube black, rolled the foil into a tube to slot inside it (now most of the tube has a shiny interior) leaving about 4mm from the front. This lines the tube for extra reflectivity. Glued the cone to the rear end of the tube. This should mean the maximum amount of light is being pushed forward. I took the first of the 2 frosted discs and dropped it in to rest on top of the foil at the front of the tube. Dropped a blob of hot glue on top of it and placed the 2nd in pushing down so the glue filled the gap between the 2 disc and glueing them in place.

IMG_0423.jpg

Hope all that made sense.

I cut the 2 holes then hooked up a battery to show you how it will look in the helmet. Not very good pics sorry using my phone camera.

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Foam I use is 10mm thick and the darker red bits you can see are 2mm. The file I used for reference was HERE. Obviously I removed tabs and had to re-unfold some of the rounded bits to work for a foam build but in general the unfold was perfect for it.

I am just downloading all the Halo pep files I can find seeing as SOPA are messing things up for us law abiding citizens. Who knows when they will attack 4shared.......

Your foam skills are crazy drack! The led's are very cool too. Great work!!!:)

Thank you guys :)

Here's todays additions.

IMG_0410.jpg

Was doing some looking around and came across this AWESOME ELITE BUILD

First, I hve to agree with Vshore. your foam skills are redonkulous. Some of the best I've seen. Secondly, that Elite build you posted was my inspiration on the Elite sculpt that I need to finish.

Anyways, great work as always. Keep on bringing sexy back!

Tony

First, I hve to agree with Vshore. your foam skills are redonkulous. Some of the best I've seen. Secondly, that Elite build you posted was my inspiration on the Elite sculpt that I need to finish.

Thank you Tony. The second I saw that Elite build I checked to see if it was yours moving at a super hero speed. Still from what I have seen yours will be equally as good. Do you know how to do the animitronic for the eyes and mouth?

Weapon choice

So think I found my gun of choice. While I am waiting on visors and helmet paint getting my gun made. I know it's not quite halo style but I love the look of it. Going to use a different scope and lose a couple of the really detailed parts but will keep the over all look the same.

b252930d.jpg

That certainly is a big gun, definitely looks spartan worthy. It'll be a very unique build and I'm sure you're going to nail it. It looks bad@$$.

I love the look of the scar, though halo loves its bullpup rifles, there is a charm to that near future badass-ery of this rifle that trumps the bullpup arguments. What sight will you be using, and will you be keeping the grenade launcher?

It's funny how halo assault rifles lack optics, and in game are practically shot from the hip. Though animations show marines aiming down the... ridge of the AR?
http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/b/bc/UNSC_Marine_Corps.PNG

Diverting from the rifle back to my helmet my gold visor inserts turned up today. Quick description of how I am going make my visor cheap. I bought some Perspex, cut it to shape using the visor inserts as a template, popped it in the oven, then dropped the Perspex into the helmet while soft (best thing about forming the visor this way is it fits EXACTLY into my helmet). I got 2 visors in the pack so will cut my detailing out of the Perspex and 1 of the inserts, stick that insert on the front of the Perspex with double sided tape. Then I will tape the second insert behind the Perspex. Will post pics of my progress.

@Katsu. Not sure what scope I will be using yet. I am not very knowledgable on weaponry, not something we really grow up with in the UK other than in games. Will post a pic when I find one I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back