Props Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep at it mate, it is going to be definitely worth it in the end!

Looking forward to your next updates with how your progress is tracking!

Jigged!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks Morphine and Rysjin7717.

Wish I'd done this months ago, but I finally figured out how to set this up in a jig and mark up the right side to exactly mirror the left. I hate redoing work, but that's expected when you are inventing as you go.

spartanlaser454.jpg

All bolted down so it can't move. I took card stock, stood it up on the left side, traced the locations of the edges, cut the patterns, then stood the cut patterns up along the right side and traced the cut lines.

spartanlaser452.jpg

Once I had the cut points marked, this drove other details to be moved up, meaning that the profiles of the rounded center section had to change as well. All the extra marks up top are to set up for the regrind of the curves.

spartanlaser45.jpg

The change of the location of the rear disk is going to be a pain. I'll end up grinding these areas inside and out then grafting on the fiberglass extensions, cutting the new edges, then grinding it thin.

spartanlaser453.jpg

This should be good to get everything squared up. Once this is cut, I should be able to finish mating up the front and rear upper receiver properly.

Redshirt

Congrats on getting both sides the same :) looks like its going to work out really well for ya

Cutting and Building

Congrats on getting both sides the same :) looks like its going to work out really well for ya

It is, thanks. It may not look it, but things are moving.

Stinks that your prop broke but at lease you did find the weak points.

Yes, it is definitely better for the disaster--as it has come out better from the previous disasters

Just stumbled across your build thread. Very impressive piece of work!

Thanks!

spartanlaser462.jpg

Even after the previous build up work, there were still a few areas without enough overlap.

spartanlaser463.jpg

I built up fiberglass extensions from the inside to have plenty of strength along exposed edges.

spartanlaser464.jpg

I roughed in the new cuts into the upper receiver as well as completed the build-up and reprofiling of the top of the receiver. The relocated disk cut out caused me to have to build up the edges in the back piece. This was done with fiberglass (can't be seen) from the inside and a skim of Bondo on the outside (pretty in pink). I won't recut the hole until both pieces are firmly bolted together and hard mounted to the metal lower receiver. BLEEP-BLOOP Achievement Unlocked--Lesson Learned the Hard Way.

spartanlaser46.jpg

Just a look at the seam. Lots of work needed here to tidy up the joint, but not practical until mounting points are fixed, establishing the true relationship between the parts.

I'm now working on welding up the bracketry to mount this rear piece to the metal receiver. This back piece will host the feed mechanism as well as the BB hopper and will not normally need to be removed to service the weapon's innards.

Until next time.

Redshirt

I love the bleep boop reference red lol.
at least now you have learned something and can use it towards future endevors :)
Keep at it bro we are all here watchin and rooting for you

Clean-Up

Not big progress here, just cleaning up the edges after the major alterations. This is one of those jobs that takes lots of time for small payoffs. I need to clean up all of those stepped edges before I drill the final mounting holes that will permanently set the alignment between parts.

spartanlaser47.jpg

Lots of Icing spot putty to straighten the edges. This turned out to be too soft for high impact areas like corners. In order to keep the edges chip resistant, I had to come back with spots of fiberglass and resin or super glue to beef up the edges.

spartanlaser472.jpg

Even though I've done this job before (sculpting the stepped edges) I had a whole new learning curve. After being unsuccessful at cutting straight lines deep enough, I attacked with my Bosch oscillating tool. This tool made short work of cutting straight lines into the mix of hard fiberglass and softer spot putty. This picture shows the high point of frustration where I'd made sloppy cuts using knives and files and had to refill and start over in several spots.

With this project finished, it's time to bolt the receiver parts together once and for all.

Redshirt

Fitting It Together--For Real

Finally I'm ready to mount the fiberglass to the metal permanently. Well not permanently mounted, but the mounting points are permanent. This update, I'm redrilling the forward mounting points and getting the rear upper receiver interlocking with the main upper receiver.

spartanlaser484.jpg

Front right attachment point. All exposed exterior screws are black oxide button-heads. Internal screws are stainless. ALL screws take the same allen wrench for easy field repairs.

spartanlaser486.jpg

Mid mounting on the right. Still some clean up to do on that beveled corner, but nothing that needed tending to before mounting the receivers up.

spartanlaser482.jpg

Using the metal-forming pliers to create spring-loaded clip to lock the upper receiver to the rear upper receiver.

spartanlaser483.jpg

All folded and marked for cutting and drilling. I'll get two clips out of this and have some left over for future needs. Every dot gets drilled out to allow the clip to be fiberglassed into the front receiver with good adhesion.

spartanlaser48.jpg

Hopefully this makes things clearer. Here's one of the clips glassed in. It's not going anywhere.

spartanlaser485.jpg

Here's the right side clip seen from the inside looking forward. This is a tight fit and will ensure that my seam between the fiberglass parts is tight without gaps or rattles.

I still have another upper receiver mounting point up high in the back as well as the rear upper receiver to complete to finish this job.

Redshirt

Fitting It All Together--Part Deux

Third post in a row. Wow, traffic has fallen off for the holidays--or more likely because of finals? Well, good luck to any of you with exams still coming up.

This update won't generate much traffic, but it covers some important foundation work. Here's some of the work on the rear sub frame. Unfortunately, I didn't end up with great pictures, so I'll try and show it off better in the next update.

My vision for the rear sub frame is to provide rear attachment points for the upper receiver and fully support the rear upper receiver. The rear sub frame will also serve as the attachment point for the electronics circuit box and the BB feed mechanism and hopper.

spartanlaser493.jpg

spartanlaser493.jpg
spartanlaser493.jpg

In this awful photo looking toward the back of the Splaser you can squint to see the initial bend of the sub frame being fitted inside the upper rear receiver.

spartanlaser494.jpg

Welding in the cross-piece inside the lower receiver. The sub frame will bolt solidly here. To the left of the cross-piece, you can see the lower receiver weld that split on me when it got hot on me during this job, a fairly common occurrence with the Alumiweld. I went back and re-welded it later.

spartanlaser49.jpg

Wider picture of the same area. The cross-piece location was driven by the location of the screw holes in the receiver and the space needed forward of the sub frame for electronics components.

spartanlaser492.jpg

Rear sub-frame being held sorta in place. Horizontal bar is for mounting the electronics project box. Small tabs at the top are where the rear most screws on the upper receiver will attach. Notice those tabs are set inside. This lets me recess the screws on the exterior of the upper receiver.

I promise better pictures the next time with it all buttoned up--except for the front shroud, the mid shroud, the barrels, the BB feeds, etc. Still, we're getting there.

Redshirt

Hey Red, it's lookin' really good brah love th' work you've put in so far take that Murphy!!!! :p:cool

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Christmas Craft Special!!

Thanks Rysgin 7717!

We take a break from our regularly scheduled Spartan Laser Update to bring you the Christmas Craft Special

(Spartan Laser update at the bottom)

Building a DIY Spartan Laser leaves you with a lot of tools and a lot of scrap aluminum. So, when the challenge came to gift wrap the wife's presents cooler than she was wrapping mine, I headed to the garage. After some head scratching I came up with--Polished aluminum gift tags. This ended in an exercise to see just how many tools I could involve.

Start by squaring off a few scraps on the band saw. Sorry, not pictured.

spartanlaser502.jpg

Break out the trusty drill press, and drill a hole in one corner for the ribbon or twine to secure it.

spartanlaser504.jpg

Now get busy with one of the bench sanders and round off the corners and clean up the sharp edges. Safety First! Having my wife get cut on the package just wouldn't do.

spartanlaser508.jpg

Back to the drill press, this time with the buffing wheel and brown buffing compound to make everything super shiny.

spartanlaser506.jpg

The one on the left is polished, the right side is standard aluminum sheet before buffing.

spartanlaser503.jpg

Now get out your stamp set and hammer in your message. Here's a representative sample of the completed project. No, the one's for my wife aren't addressed to "Woman". Though that would give me some flexibility . . .

Now in the world of the Spartan Laser, I did promise some pics of all the receiver pieces bolted together:

spartanlaser507.jpg

The back end all bolted together. All of the edges along the bottom are nice and straight, the cutout for the disk is aligned well. The other seams need work.

spartanlaser505.jpg

Angle shot showing what works and what doesn't. I have a lot of work to do on the seams between the rear upper receiver and the upper receiver. The whole region needs to be filled and re-leveled as well.

spartanlaser50.jpg

Here's the whole thing together. It is rock-solid!

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you get the tools, foam, Bondo, resin, or whatever costume and prop making supplies that you asked for!

Redshirt

This is going very good! Still watching it!
Also as far as functionality goes....You ever check out wicked lasers? I'm not sure on size, but You MIGHT be able to rig a laser in there for fun :p

Hey Red lolz on th' tad addressed woman!!! My ol' lady would kill me!!!! Was funny though srry things got busy as th' Holiday got closer. Happy Holiday 's 405th!!!,:cool

This is going very good! Still watching it!
Also as far as functionality goes....You ever check out wicked lasers? I'm not sure on size, but You MIGHT be able to rig a laser in there for fun :p

I checked that out. Way cool. Too bad none of the 1000 mW plus lasers are in red. Still, down the road, I can always take out the airsoft parts and 'weaponize' this bad boy.

Hey Red lolz on th' tad addressed woman!!! My ol' lady would kill me!!!! Was funny though srry things got busy as th' Holiday got closer. Happy Holiday 's 405th!!!,:cool

Too funny.

Time for a real update. Now that the parts are bolted together, I kept on going with tidying up the seams between various fiberglass and metal parts.

spartanlaser515.jpg

Finalizing the gap between the mid shroud and the upper receiver.

spartanlaser512.jpg

Almost right, the front is still slightly high, but the gaps are gone.

spartanlaser513.jpg

Building up the areas under some of the panel mis fits. This will let me sand down the high spots later without compromising the actual fiberglass structure.

spartanlaser514.jpg

The final mounting of the upper receiver to the lower receiver revealed inconsistent gaps between the metal and fiberglass, so I had to add on fiberglass and then trim it back straight.

spartanlaser51.jpg

Same job on the rear upper receiver. The screw holes also needed further reinforcement.

I've now started cutting metal again for the external details! Next time . . . .

Redshirt

Hey Red, hope ya had a great holiday I spent mine with some friends eatin' Steak & Shrimp Expendables 2, Resident Evil Retribution. :cool

Man i about fell out of my chair laughing at the tag that said to woman lol Then i found out it was just an example and laughed harder.
Well man your splazer is looking great so far, you never seem to dissapoint :)
keep up the good work bud.

Hey Red, hope ya had a great holiday I spent mine with some friends eatin' Steak & Shrimp Expendables 2, Resident Evil Retribution. :cool

I did have a good Christmas. We also watched Expendables 2. It was in no way, shape, or form a good movie, but it was highly entertaining.

Man i about fell out of my chair laughing at the tag that said to woman lol Then i found out it was just an example and laughed harder.
Well man your splazer is looking great so far, you never seem to dissapoint :)
keep up the good work bud.

Oddly enough, I ran short of the correct tags and did have to use the one that said, "Woman" on it. Miraculously, I did NOT get busted!

The updates lately have been slow moving, mostly reworking parts constructed long ago, but the work represents lot of key details in how well the final product will look. The next updates will get things moving again with new fabrication. I'm making the metal knobs and details that dress up (and function) on the outside of the prop. As there is not a lot of metal work done on the 405th, it should be fresh and interesting. I will even electroplate some of the parts in nickel down the road as I just got a nickel and copper plating set for my car restoration.

Redshirt

Hey Red, glad ta hear that ya didn't get busted;) That movie had th' most action of any action movie that I've seen. Btw that's lookin' Beast brah!!!! This is what I got for Christmas it'll be come in handy when I start my first in a long time project. :p:cool
7aqama6u.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back