Props Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.
careful red it's like swat and its all tied up and there's guy with a SAW right next to you.

careful red it's like swat and its all tied up and there's guy with a SAW right next to you.

Given the current state of the gun, I'd need to rely on 22 pounds of melee awesomeness to get the job done.

I solved the problem with the hop-ups last night. Here's where the problem was:

4z0i.jpg

In this old photo, you can see how my aluminum feed tube connector/tracer unit mount/hop-up set screw holder (it needs a real name) mounts hard to the top of the plastic chamber. When tightened, this pressed down significantly on the hop-up adjust, rendering two of my barrels significantly over-hopped even with the adjustment set screw removed.

AirsoftSpartanLaser111.jpg

Here's the modification I made to the standard Echo1 E90 hop-up lever. Original style is on top. I had to knock down the overall height as well as cut down the front to enable a full range of hop adjust.

At just about too late to be shooting an airsoft gun outside, I stepped out to try it without any hop-up dialed in. All three barrels with consistent drop! I was too tired to sight it in when I got back today, but I'll sight all three systems in along with the sighting laser tomorrow!

Redshirt

well I've to say if you ever do another working halo gun lets hope things work out the first time.

well I've to say if you ever do another working halo gun lets hope things work out the first time.

Whether the next one is a Halo gun or some other custom airsoft, I don't expect nearly the same problems. I've had a steep learning curve to be sure, but I've learned circuit design, aluminum welding, pepakura, electroplating, milling, airsoft hop-up design, and who knows what else along the way. It's cost a ton, but I've only spent a fraction of what a commercial airsoft company would have to pay for prototyping.

I got to sight it in a couple of days ago. The hop-ups adjust easily and ally three systems fire true. It took surprisingly little time to get all three hop-ups consistent and the sighting laser to match. I get about an eight inch group at 120 feet. I can certainly live with that! The feed system is also working brilliantly, so persistence has paid off!

I finally got my shipment of servo testers in from Amazon. After burning up a couple of expensive heavy-duty landing gear retract servos using circuit reversals and cut-out switches in lieu of electronic control, I decided to try and find a way to emulate the open and close signals that a servo expects to manage its own extend and retract sequence. This was no easy feat. Before anyone tells me eight different ways you could do this with an arduino circuit or some such, you had your chance--I asked twice in the 'Help for Electronics' section! I settled on a pair of servo testers. One switch position would power the servo tester dialed in to send the retract signal, the other switch position would power the tester sending the extend signal. An elegant solution? No, but in the end, simplicity itself.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1122.jpg

After a long wait, these finally showed up.

I stripped of the knobs, took the circuit boards out of their outer case and siamesed a pair back to back inside a case with hard foam in between for insulation. It took a while to find enough a place inside the gun with enough room and build my wiring harness to suit. Looks like there is enough space under the mech boxes next to the rumble motors.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1124.jpg

When the front grip is fully opened, the extend circuit is live and cranks the servo counter-clockwise. This will raise the front shroud.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1123.jpg

With the grip in any other position short of locked open, the retract signal is being sent to the shroud servo.

The whole setup works brilliantly with no fuss or adjustment needed. I wish this had been my plan from the start.

AirsoftSpartanLaser112.jpg

Strangely enough, things are much less complicated in the cramped quarters between the front grip and the trigger.

Tomorrow I will mount the servo, lift mechanism and shroud. Perhaps I'll be able to call it finished?

Redshirt

Well at least its your plan now and it seems to be working very well :)
This is how we learn
Keep up the great work

Well at least its your plan now and it seems to be working very well :)
This is how we learn
Keep up the great work

This is indeed how we learn. Thanks! I'm very happy with how it shoots now, just got this little bit of automation to solve.

Redshirt

well if you're heading to dragon con with this bad boy don't get pulled over with that in the back seat... and if you do please tape it. because it's going to be funny.

This is indeed how we learn. Thanks! I'm very happy with how it shoots now, just got this little bit of automation to solve.

Redshirt

man, i have been following this post since last year's south by south west gaming convention here in texas when i decided to build my rogue helmet and get into pepakura and the 405th and cosplaying. just wanted to say your one hell of an inspiration, i love and admire all the detailed work that you have done and the countless hours spent making this project come to life! cant wait to see it in some videos! and all buttoned up are ready for action! you rock man!

well if you're heading to dragon con with this bad boy don't get pulled over with that in the back seat... and if you do please tape it. because it's going to be funny.

Too true! I didn't install any airsoft components for the local CON I took it to. That avoids lots of questions and saves about eight or nine pounds. You'd think the batteries, motors, etc would be more of the total weight, but I set out to build the most accurate and tough replica I could using metal where the game model would be metal and composites also where appropriate. There is a lot of aluminum, fiberglass and electronics in this beast.

man, i have been following this post since last year's south by south west gaming convention here in texas when i decided to build my rogue helmet and get into pepakura and the 405th and cosplaying. just wanted to say your one hell of an inspiration, i love and admire all the detailed work that you have done and the countless hours spent making this project come to life! cant wait to see it in some videos! and all buttoned up are ready for action! you rock man!

Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words. I work hard to post the all details so others can learn both from the mistakes and victories. I set out to make it the best-possible Spartan Laser replica. I've learned that when your skill isn't up to your vision then you have to have patience and persistence to keep doing things over until the result is up to the standard you've set for yourself. Likewise, if you can't or won't afford the best tools and materials, the only currency you have left to spend is time. If I'd sprung for a mig welder, milling machine, and billet instead of scrap aluminum this project would be a distant memory. Hard to believe this started as pepakura.

I'm still chasing that last 1% this week. I had it buttoned up for the first time since March last night. I have to open it up today for a switch problem in the grip and a bad solder joint in a battery lead, but I'm really almost set to call it game-ready and shoot the first vids.

Here's what it looked like last night:

AirsoftSpartanLaser1132.jpg

This is the first pic of the whole thing in lockdown mode for shipping. The safety lock is installed through the lower receiver that keeps the front grip locked closed. Opening the front grip actuates the master power switch, so locking the grip closed makes the weapon intrinsically safe. I think it looks cool too!

I know you've seen the lock before, but not on the assembled Splaser. I was anxious to see that it was tight enough to lock out the switches and how it would look on the assembled prop.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1133.jpg

I did the safety lock for transporting the Spartan Laser and because once the Splaser has had BBs loaded, there is no way of 100% unloading it without opening it up. Thus my Splaser can't be dry fired with complete assurance that no BBs will fire! I felt the gun needed the additional tamper proofing.

spartanlaserreference3.jpg

Putting the lock through the game-model pivot point gave that feature legitimacy. If you look at the game model of the H3 Splaser, you realize the grip could not pivot where Bungie rendered it. I made my model's pivot point invisible behind and below that of the game model. I drilled through the game-model hinge point with the grip closed for my lock. With a pin through there, the grip is immobilized..

AirsoftSpartanLaser1135.jpg

AirsoftSpartanLaser1136.jpg

Here are the pics of the lock being removed.

AirsoftSpartanLaser113.jpg

Here's the lock removed. I didn't weather the lock. It seems to chip and rub pretty naturally through usage.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1134.jpg

It is a bit hard to tell, but I changed the coloring significantly since the initial painted photos. The new coloring is lighter and browner, mostly due to more brass metalizer in the top layer and a heavier brushing of brass along the edges to match the game modelling. I also airbrushed the low areas and the grooves with a darker green with a slight blue hue per the game render.

I will shoot the vids and more outdoor photos this weekend once I have the switches and battery fixed!

Redshirt

OMG! It Works!

We shot the videos tonight and are splicing them together. The Spartan Laser fired and filmed beautifully. At the end of the demo shoots, I stood for some human testing about 80 feet away as my son shot me. I was wearing new ABUs and a thermal shirt underneath. I figured, why should I shoot someone with 2100+ BBs/minute if I couldn't stand to be hit with the same?

Here are the results:

4121.jpg

Laser_Kill.gif
Laser Kill! It wasn't pretty before the damage either. I'm Redshirt, I had to be the first to get shot by this thing.

This is why I've refused to upgrade the springs or motors.

The videos are coming! The human testing footage may make you cry (with laughter). My son said I sounded just like the Master Chief when he dies in the game.

Redshirt

Fully Operational Spartan Laser!

Well here it is, the mission complete post. Of course there will be more updates as I use it, but today my Halo 3 airsoft Spartan Laser is -con and combat-ready. I rushed it into basic shape almost two months ago for Pensacon and it looked decent, but didn't animate. It was also not airsoft-ready. I'm amazed it has taken nearly two months of testing, adjusting, and re-engineering, but tonight I'd be confident to take it to any con or airsoft event and have it work without fail.

Design spec refresher:

Exactly replicate H3 Splaser with metal parts where the game version would be metal

Have the front shroud raise and lower electronically with the opening/closing of the fore grip

At trigger pull:
Sighting laser comes on
Slow rumble motor starts
After three seconds fast rumble motor starts to warn you it is about to fire
After four seconds the solenoids close to fire the airsoft assembly

Three complete airsoft systems enclosed to fire 2200+ BBs/min

Internal tracer units to charge glow BBs for night play

External lighting (2 brightnesses) matching the game model

Here is the video everyone has been waiting and asking for:

AirsoftSpartanLaser115.jpg

Reminds me of the Bigfoot sighting pictures. Biglaser sighting!

AirsoftSpartanLaser1157.jpg

22 pounds fully loaded!

AirsoftSpartanLaser1159.jpg

Big Scary Laser: Do Not Look Into Beam With Remaining Eye

I took some more shots the next day to try and capture the revised color scheme

AirsoftSpartanLaser1156.jpg

Locked!

AirsoftSpartanLaser1153.jpg

I dry brushed Testors acrylic brass over all the raised details then airbrushed over the entire green surface to give it a really cool iridescent effect like in the game. This comes through not at all in photos.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1152-1.jpg

Open and ready

AirsoftSpartanLaser1154-1.jpg

The brass overcoat gives it a browner appearance in the sunlight

AirsoftSpartanLaser1155-1.jpg

Profile study. After four years, It is a bit startling to see the sum of the parts. So worth it!

I'll be back with game and con photos and any significant developments. I'm already started on a hollow frag grenade to carry spare BBs. I also have a plasma grenade prop in development as well as an airsoft conversion of one of Tactonyx's excellent Magnums. AS always, I'm happy to answer any questions about this project.

Redshirt

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a great talent for crafting, it was amazing and inspiring to watch you go through what you did to make it, and honestly it was a great gift to share your experience with all of us here on this forum :)

I haven't kept up as much as I had liked, but seeing your end result, you must be one proud prop maker, becuase that honestly is a work of art.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Seth

I haven't been on 405th for a number of months now. Feeling a little bit guilty that I haven't got back into my H4MC build yet.

I did however receive your PM Redshirt and had to instantly come check out your progress. As always, I was not disappointed!!
Man, that thing looks and acts simply: Boss mode. The time taken, effort, blood, sweat and tears to make this is simply astonishing! The fact it's a fully functioning custom airsoft marker is a feat in itself!
If 405th had something similar to Reddit gold, I'd have given it to you already!

I applaud you and will simply repeat what Retralpha has said and I'm sure others will in future: WHERE IS THE ELITE STATUS?! :cool

Hey Red, 'grats on the great job. I've been following this since the start (just like everyone else) and stand thoroughly impressed. This thing is a triumph and deserves elite status or something. Great job.

All i can say it WOW! Red, supurb job my friend. Im happy i was here from the beginning pretty much watching this to completion. I kid you not that thing looks like it was pulled out of the game man. Thanks for sharing, and i cant wait to see what is to come from you :)

Your bound to get a lot of attention, I have not been on this post for a long time, glad you got it finished good luck with the magnums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back