Props Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Repli

Thanks and welcome back! I just wish I could take it out more. Local airsofting has dried up. It made it out for the Master Chief Collection launch and that's about it lately. I'll make it out for Pensacon. What's your next appearance?

Redshirt

Thanks! I'm really hoping to make it D-Con 2015. I'll just have to play it by ear I guess.

Re: Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Repli

needs a nick name red" little death star or anti hammer gun." lol the frist one came to me while watching spaceballs.

Thanks! I'm really hoping to make it D-Con 2015. I'll just have to play it by ear I guess.

I don't know where I'll be in August, but making D-Con is also high on my list. I'd love to get pics of this Spartan Laser with you and your costume.

needs a nick name red" little death star or anti hammer gun." lol the frist one came to me while watching spaceballs.

Tempting to go with Sunspot or BB Hose. Vera is already taken.

OK, time for me to make less talk and show more pictures. Here are some taken outside with the newly finished Frag Grenade.

Revised loading port reworked to not leak light or BBs. The white hopper is constantly lit to pre-charge the glow BBs. The Frag Grenade (see sister thread) holds just enough for a complete refill.
AirsoftSpartanLaser205.jpg

Spartan Laser has improved fit all the way around. Push button actuates grenade light.
AirsoftSpartanLaser2054.jpg

I tidied up some of the paint damage and weathering during the refit.
AirsoftSpartanLaser2053.jpg

My current collection of props. The helmet began life as the case for my Halo 3 Legendary Edition. In 2008 I set out during a deployment with the idea to make the LE helmet look decent. I came back with a wearable helmet, full costume, and plans for this Splaser.
AirsoftSpartanLaser2055.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed the update. There are a couple of different photos at the end of the grenade thread. Hopefully I be able to get into the field and get more pics and videos of this in action. Thanks for following.

Redshirt

Attachments

• AirsoftSpartanLaser2055.jpg
    AirsoftSpartanLaser2055.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,164
Merry Christmas 405th

Looks like the Master Chief found a crate of Christmas Cheer. That should make Cortana's whining a little more tolerable!

SpartanChristmasCheer.jpg

I got this little crate of liquor-filled chocolates in my stocking and thought that was a perfect accessory for the 13-inch Master Chief figure. I have a gravity hammer I've built for this thing I'll debut in January.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Redshirt

Lawl. Good picture!

Merry Christmas to you too.

Just had the Spartan Laser out for a great day of local airsoft. I'd planned to get good video finally, but failed to do so. I got three kills with it during a short play period. The first was a team kill. To be fair, he was shooting at me and the three other teammates holed up around me. He took about 20 BB to his center of mass. Ouch!

Airsoft%20Spartan%20Laser%20206_1.jpg

Photo by TheFrog.

Can you spot the futuristic space weapon among the sea of AKs and M4s?

Next appearance is at PENSACON with a planned promo video coming in March by a major airsoft manufacturer.

Redshirt

That's fantastic, I love that thing. I'm assuming all the other players are crazy jealous?

That thing's bulky enough that you could attach a GoPro to it and not really notice.

Made it out to PENSACON last weekend with the Spartan Laser. Had a good time, but hauling a 22 pound prop around is definitely a fitness program in itself.

It was very popular. I was only too happy to let others try it on. I only got a few photos of it myself. How do I tell her she has bad shooting form?

PENSACON%202015.jpg

Garrett Wang who played Harry Kim on Star Trek Voyager was eager to check it out! Photo by Ron Smith.

PENSACON%202015%206.jpg

What do you do with your 22 pound baby when you need to change the battery or use the little spartan's room?

You use the baby changing table of course!

PENSACON%202015%205.jpg

Very briefly on Saturday, I suited up. My costume isn't particularly comfortable, so I don't wear it for too long. I prefer to showcase my props. Still, this thing isn't doing too bad for a cardboard costume built in 2008 that makes it out for every Haloween and title launch.

PENSACON%202015%204.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Redshirt

I know how you feel but with the way things are going suiting up is going to be on my list every year now thanks art.

You've done very good work, and it's always awesome to show it off!

Very nice work.

How thick is the fiberglass used for the upper portions of the laser? How many layers of fiberglass mat did you use?

You've done very good work, and it's always awesome to show it off!

Thanks! It is fun to get out and have people marvel at the amount of work in this thing.

Very nice work.

How thick is the fiberglass used for the upper portions of the laser? How many layers of fiberglass mat did you use?

Thank you. Typically, the glass is about two layers thick, all applied at the same time. The front shroud in particular required so much modification to get symmetry and the exact right shape that I had to put additional layers on the outside in some spots and on the inside at others to avoid sanding through. It took lots of filler too. Instead of Bondo on this prop, I used the stuff with fiberglass fibers in it for strength. Because I knew this would get rough handling and hit by BBs, I needed to be sure nothing would chip or separate. I could definitely beat a grunt to death with it and not worry about anything other than wrenching my back. The aluminum zombie smasher on the front is a force to be reckoned with being cut from a single piece of aluminum stock and welded and bolted up with the rest of the metal receiver.

Redshirt

Thanks! It is fun to get out and have people marvel at the amount of work in this thing.

Thank you. Typically, the glass is about two layers thick, all applied at the same time. The front shroud in particular required so much modification to get symmetry and the exact right shape that I had to put additional layers on the outside in some spots and on the inside at others to avoid sanding through. It took lots of filler too. Instead of Bondo on this prop, I used the stuff with fiberglass fibers in it for strength. Because I knew this would get rough handling and hit by BBs, I needed to be sure nothing would chip or separate. I could definitely beat a grunt to death with it and not worry about anything other than wrenching my back. The aluminum zombie smasher on the front is a force to be reckoned with being cut from a single piece of aluminum stock and welded and bolted up with the rest of the metal receiver.

Redshirt

Thanks for the info. What kind of fiberglass mat did you use? And how exactly does 2 layers of mat translate into thickness in inches or mm?

Thanks for the info. What kind of fiberglass mat did you use? And how exactly does 2 layers of mat translate into thickness in inches or mm?

I use a standard 3 ounce mat. I don't know what that measures exactly, but it's a fairly heavy mat. There is also 1.5 ounce mat out there--easier to work details, but wants to pull apart easily when trying to work larger pieces. The 3 ounce is basically a double layer of 1.5 ounce. You can pull the layers apart if you need to thin it.

I use the cheapest polyester resin I can find. DO NOT use epoxy resin with ordinary mat. The binding agent in standard mat corrupts the catalytic process of the epoxy, preventing it from curing. If you want to use epoxy resin (much more expensive than polyester, but no odor), use cloth or find the special mat for epoxy resin.

For my parts I want to use in airsoft, the double mat gets me a finished thickness of 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick. It's easily a 1/4 inch in the corners, but that's where I need the strength not to chip or splinter. Remember, there is no advantage to using any more resin than it takes to saturate the cloth or mat. It's brittle and adds weight.

Honestly, the two layers is a bit much for cosplay. I would use only a single layer in a prop weapon or costume. I might double or even triple some narrow (1.5 inch) strips around the interior edges of a costume piece for strength and to allow rounding the edges. For a prop weapon, your target weight should be under 6 pounds if you plan to carry it all day in costume. My Spartan laser weighs 14 to 15 pounds with the airsoft gear removed. I can carry it all day at a con (out of costume), but end exhausted. In a costume, you carry weapons much further from your chest and excess weight is killer. I'm good for only an hour max with the Splaser in costume. On the airsoft field, the Spartan Laser is 22 pounds combat loaded. I run a very light loadout for that reason--a canteen, extra BBs (in my frag grenade), and a small sidearm (good 'ol 1911).

So what are you looking to build?

Redshirt

Spartan Laser Game Footage

I finally shot some decent first-person game footage!

Here's my Spartan Laser at the Northwest Florida Airsoft Association's game last Saturday. I came a way with five kills during the morning games. Very nice. I just came off of my second major reliability and maintenance upgrade for this game. I added extensions to let me charge batteries in place, eliminated a voltage leak, redesigned the wiring harness for the shroud lift, and reworked the feed mechanism for improved reliability. Looks like I nailed it. Not one missed feed or maintenance issue during the games. As you'll see, I ran around, banged it around, and proved just how solid this thing is. I couldn't be happier with it.

Enjoy!

Redshirt

Last edited by a moderator:

What are some of the reactions people get when they see it in action?

Do people purposely get in line of to get shot by the laser?

Dude the in action footage is awesome!!!

"Shoot her if you're not sure... We didn't have the redhead on our team, did we?"

"Nope."

"Shoot her."

I lolled.

lol how can you miss at that range.

What are some of the reactions people get when they see it in action?

Do people purposely get in line of to get shot by the laser?

It is a bit of a badge of honor to walk out of the woods having been killed by the Spartan Laser. It makes a VERY distinctive sound as a combo of the rumble motors and the BB winder mechanism when the trigger is pulled to start the countdown and sighting laser. The sweeping laser and the distinct sound keep opponents heads down. It is surprisingly psychological, but no different to how you act playing Halo when the red sighting beam strobes you followed by a strong urge to GTFOOH. The effect was nothing I considered when I built it, so initially, I was as surprised as my opponents.

Dude the in action footage is awesome!!!

Thank you!

"Shoot her if you're not sure... We didn't have the redhead on our team, did we?"

"Nope."

"Shoot her."

I lolled.

There was no way I couldn't put that into the film. I LOLed as well when I watched the replay. We were actively engaged with two enemy ahead of us when the redhead shows up behind us in a solid flank, but takes no action, so we finished the engagement forward (one killed, one dispersed) before we reconvened our discussion of the redhead. In the end, I walked up on her, just as she realized we were not on her team. I had a big effing laser pointed at her and she had her hands at her rifle don't. She was actually thankful I called a safety kill on her from 20 feet away. I've been drilled by the Splaser from 100 feet, I couldn't imagine the carnage if she tried to draw. She also LOLed at the footage when I showed her.

lol how can you miss at that range.

I can't (and didn't). The three streams of BBs stay tight for over 120 feet, then start to diverge significantly. The pattern will fully cover a man-sized target at 250 feet. It is like a shotgun that doesn't stop going off. If you sweep it (like the in-game Halo 3 glitch), it will take out a squad. In that middle engagement, I killed four before they got me. Wholesale carnage.

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back