Props Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Repli

I bet they didn't think something that big could do that much hosing. now are you going to build an secondery weapon to go with this I know you said something a while ago buy I think br or saw plus ohs that mounting plate coming along? one would be like this...

[video]https://youtu.be/a_z4IuxAqpE[/video]

and the other is like.

https://youtu.be/otCpCn0l4Wo

Re: Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Repli

I bet they didn't think something that big could do that much hosing. now are you going to build an secondery weapon to go with this I know you said something a while ago buy I think br or saw plus ohs that mounting plate coming along?

Second (but not secondary) Halo weapon has arrived in the form of the Evike lookalike MA-5B Assault Rifle. It is heavy also. Review coming very soon.

Charging up the Spartan Laser for an outing this Sunday. Finally got a Go-Pro so I should get more (and better) footage.

IMG_20150722_211455470_HDR.jpg

This follows a third round of updates and spec changes to repair internal damage and improve reliability and consistency of operation.

So the shroud stopped raising. It would lower just fine. but the servo controller that I had tricked into handling this operation had burnt out. Every time I tested the circuit, it had 5 volts--even when disconnected. Rut-Roh!?

The first discovery was that the entire receiver had a direct positive source. After a bazillion hour of testing here and probing there with my quality Harbor Freight multimeter, I was still flummoxed and took a break to meditate on the source of the voltage leak.

IMG_20150321_215434715.jpg

Upon return, I discovered a short in the trigger switch mounting. I can thank of everywhere in an airsoft gun I'd rather have a ground fault in.

Deep in the bowels of the Splaser lies the trigger switch.

IMG_20150322_161510852.jpg

The entire weapon had to come apart to gain access. The problem came from modifying the switch to accept a larger diameter mounting bolt. After installation, this wore through to the positive contact and shorted the receiver. Shoddy work on my part. Period.

IMG_20150322_223846628.jpg

I was never happy with the roller switch for the trigger because it just didn't perform as consistently as I'd like. I decided to use a more robust switch, but that came in a different style and drove a major modification to the trigger assembly. I got to do more welding!

IMG_20150322_224048454.jpg

I've never looked back. This is how it should have been in the first place. My trigger is now butter smooth and failure free.

With the voltage leak eliminated, I replaced the servo controller. The shroud actuation is much smoother and positive without the stray signal interference.

IMG_20150322_160855214.jpg

I took the opportunity to again make changes to the box mag and the feed tubes. I opened up the old M4 mags and removed burrs and really made sure there were no ridges or bumps interfering with the BBs moving from the winders into the tubes.

IMG_20150321_170117543.jpg

I ground a taper into the ends of the tubes to complete this.

IMG_20150321_165935562.jpg

I also rerouted the tubes slightly to allow gentler turns en-route to the chambers.

IMG_20150321_170204731_HDR.jpg

The final adjustment was to simply add extensions to the battery balance connectors. For the first time I am able to charge the gun without disassembly.

IMG_20150321_170039276.jpg

These repairs and adjustments really seem to be winners. We'll see how Sunday goes.

Redshirt

Really stellar work, Redshirt! As for the trigger shorting issue, I also love having to pull apart an entire project due to one small bug. (As a car guy, sometimes it's easier said than done). I really like your perseverance, and the fact that you redesigned and built a more robust switch as opposed to just replacing an apparently weak link. Keep it up!!

Really stellar work, Redshirt! As for the trigger shorting issue, I also love having to pull apart an entire project due to one small bug. (As a car guy, sometimes it's easier said than done). I really like your perseverance, and the fact that you redesigned and built a more robust switch as opposed to just replacing an apparently weak link. Keep it up!!

FlyinPhil,

Thank you! As a fellow car guy I can certainly relate. 500 miles into the break in period of the engine I just rebuilt I had to tear in and replace the cam shaft journals due to oil starvation. Seems the new oil banjos bottomed out in the head and severely restricted oil flow. At least the top end no longer rattles. Trivia time: Can you ID my metal mistress?

IMG_20150308_163703181.jpg

Redshirt

Looks like a really sweet and clean xke... 1968?

Looks like a really sweet and clean xke... 1968?

Thanks! She is clean, but older.
Profile.jpg

1963. I actually held up on the engine rebuild to complete the Spartan Laser. Priorities out of whack maybe?

Redshirt

FlyinPhil,

Thank you! As a fellow car guy I can certainly relate. 500 miles into the break in period of the engine I just rebuilt I had to tear in and replace the cam shaft journals due to oil starvation. Seems the new oil banjos bottomed out in the head and severely restricted oil flow. At least the top end no longer rattles. Trivia time: Can you ID my metal mistress?

View attachment 15390

Redshirt

Ah, that does sound like quite the mechanical adventure!

Alas, I am not very familiar with older jaguars, but after seeing reiseman's post and doing some quick google-fu, I'd have to agree with him!

I managed to get some more Spartan Laser footage recently now that I've finally added a GoPro to my kit. I had to add a rail onto the side of the Splaser, but it did a nice job. For the last sequence my job was to set an ambush and tie up as many of the opposing teams forces as I could for as long as I could. I'm not typically a trash-talker, but this game required it. Anyway, I really am certain that my sister could throw a grenade better than the guys I was up against though.

Once again, I had perfect performance from the beast with no jams, misfires or other issues. Very happy to have a home made gun match or beat the reliability of a commercial product.

Enjoy.

Redshirt

Last edited by a moderator:

so Redshirt... what is your armour made from/modded to fit airsoft standards? (not sharding and braking/denting)

so Redshirt... what is your armour made from/modded to fit airsoft standards? (not sharding and braking/denting)

That is a good question and one that has been asked a few times in the comments on Youtube with my other videos. Check out the night video if you haven't seen it! My armor is not compatible with airsoft at all. Can you believe it's cardboard? I have a very poor range of motion and it requires repairs after every wear. I made my armor from whatever I could get my hands on while on an extended military deployment. The helmet is actually made from the Halo 3 Legendary Edition game case. I made it wearable by doing some extreme mods. In all seriousness, spartan armor and airsofting are not a practical combo. The loss of movement and awareness of your surroundings would compromise your ability to play massively. My Spartan Laser is incredibly heavy at 22 pounds. To partly compensate, I take very little extra into the field. I wear basic camo and I don't even carry spare ammo, just a sidearm and a canteen. I am looking seriously at making very light Halo marine armor built around proven protective gear. I would build the hard sections of fiberglass of the same thickness as the Spartan Laser. The Splaser has been hit many times without taking a scratch. Marine armor would look the part without impeding my view or movement. Even an ODST setup would really not be fun to play in.

Redshirt

i see... keep me posted on Marine build if you ever start... i would be nice to wear something halo onto the feild...

Arisoft gear At The Minute
GameFace 2 in 1 M4A1
(akimbo) Black Ops 1911
(a truckload of ammo)
Elbow pads
(From dad) "Real" BDU's
Red Fox Tactical bag
Goodwill airsoft mask (cut out goggles... mask was $10.. lol)
Bandana
Old baseball cap

i see... keep me posted on Marine build if you ever start... i would be nice to wear something halo onto the feild...

Will do. My Halo airsoft gear right now is the Spartan Laser, H3 Frag grenade (for spare BBs) and the Evike Chrono Blaster (looks like the MA5C so much that it took Microsoft's lawyers mere days to end it). I have a very realistic airsoft MA5C in the works and plans for a full-metal airsoft Magnum waiting in the wings.

My regular airsoft favs are a gas-blowback SCAR, highly modified for realism ICS M3 Greasegun, and a Tokyo Marui Thompson with real WWII wood, sights, magazines, and sling. I had quite a bit of airsoft custom building background before taking on the Spartan Laser. I've never made the same level of investment in my gear unfortunately. A marine build would change that.

Redshirt

I was asked by the local Gamestop to support the launch. I went and set up a display of my weapons and hung around in costume for the release. This was a rare appearance of the armor and the Spartan Laser together. The costume requires holding the Splaser far away from my chest. The 22 pound Splaser gets heavy fast. The sand coating on the exterior of the Mk VI damages paint on the Splaser. The aluminum receiver of the Splaser cuts into the cardboard of the armor. That is why you rarely see the Spartan Laser with me in costume. I'm working on a Marine setup that will actually let me carry my weapons with ease.

H5 Launch.jpg

I also managed to attach the H3 frag grenade (carries spare airsoft BBs in the field) to the setup as well.

Redshirt

yeah the closes gamestop is a little small got stuck in the back corner with no room to move talk about getting crammed into a drop pod.

A glorious day of combat with the Spartan Laser! We ended up in an objective-based game with very long engagement distances that required movement across areas of low cover. Strong winds made sniping challenging, but proved ideal for the Splaser. All told, 22 kills and one death.

12485950_10100630190635212_5336450308598733595_o.jpg
Photo by the Frog.

Redshirt

That is awesome!

You just got featured on Spartan 117gw's facebook page!

I know! We've been running together at Fulda Gap this weekend. Its a great pic and shoutout. The Splaser has been running strong for a couple of years and is about ready for depot-level overhaul. Still reliable. Watch "Spartan Jess" and "The Frog" channels on Youtube for upcoming videos. I'll try to post some too.

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back