On using Owned models as references for creating Original models...

Status
Not open for further replies.

koshima07

Ok, so after a little looking around, I've become somewhat interested in obtaining FFVII and FFVIII for the PC, and modding the game to give it that more "updated" look.
I created a profile over at Qhimm.com, and looked into the whole project.
I decided that it would be best, should I want to graphically update the game, I create my own game models for said game.
That said, I would do what anyone who wants to be apart of the project would do: share the stuff for the greater good of the online modding community to breathe new life into the FF games!
So I have to ask... would it be ok for a 3D modeler like myself to use the other models created by Professionals, be they the boys and girls from Squaresoft/Enix or modelers online as a reference source to create new material?

Tell me what you guys think. I'd appreciate any advice on the subject.

Thanks, Community.

-OashKoash

You can use refrence material and model off that, but not copy or use the original version. I think Squenix won't mind if you don't sell it for money. The artist however could get reasonably upset if you use their models without permission. That's all I know.

I wouldn't do that. Allot of free indie games have bin shut down before because they did that. These visual assets were sold in their game. No need to give their visual assets away for free.

And besides won't it give more satisfaction if you modelled everything yourselve?

Learn to model yourself. It isn't hard. It can be frustrating at times, but there are step-by-step tutorials all over the web. Youtube tutorials are great for learning 3d.
Every 3d modeling software has a free trial. There are programs like Blender that are free.
There are online schools that teach game development, and several traditional schools teach game development.

Game companies do mind if you use their content in your game. Don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back