CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Cereal, I'd like to ask a question of the Bondo/Rondo Master. When you find yourself needing to sand flat the bottom of a recessed area which is "walled" on all sides, what technique do you use? My thoughts are to glue sandpaper to the flat end of a dowel (round or square, depending on the recess's corners) and then rub it around in the "hole". I was wondering what your approach would be since your finishing work is really top-notch. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay!
I would approach it the same way. Depending on "what" you're sanding away, if it's filler you can use an xacto blade to somewhat carve it as well.

I'm thinking you meant carve instead of care, but either way the blade is a good idea too. My areas are too small for the typical razor to fit in, but your reply got me remembering that X-acto makes some small flat-ended blades with the edge on the end rather than on the side and they should work for initially scraping the recessed floor smooth and then finishing with sandpaper on a dowel. Thanks!

Ok, Now actually time for an update!...

It's been a busy week or so here in Pepakura land. I figured since I'm doing a video that's going to be covering resin coating, I'd better make sure that I have some things to resin coat. So here we go:

Here's a shot of some of the things I've been doing for the last 8 days.
All_Pieces-1280x850_zpsafd10179.jpg

I Pepped out some new gauntlets because I wanted to adjust the sizing to be a bit bigger
Gauntlets-1280x850_zps8ad33a38.jpg

Here are the shoulders. I made a bit of a booboo which I didn't notice until too late. I accidentally printed out 2 right shoulders and did not realize until everything was cut out and the bicep was pepped. There was no flipping way i was going to re-print, re-cut everything again so I assembled the piece inside out :)
Shoulders-1280x850_zpsba6bea6c.jpg

On a personal note, I could no longer stand the unfold on the shoulder/bicep pieces. So I decided to do a Re-unfold of my own and could not be happier with the outcome!
Re-Unfold_1-1280x850_zps6e35aced.jpg

Re_Unfold_2-1280x850_zps30d425fc.jpg

Here's the hand plate, which I only did one of. This is done purposely as the left and right side are identical and I intend on molding and casting the piece which will save time.
Hand_plate-1280x850_zps15bb1a17.jpg

Moving right along, and down the body, we come to the cod piece. I am doing a somewhat different approach with this piece specifically. I have always found that when this piece is scaled "Correctly" it is too cumbersome and easily interferes with you're overall movement. So I have intentionally scaled this piece about 10% too small for me and will be sectioning it off in to 4 separate pieces down the road. This will allow a more compact fit allowing a far greater range of motion and comfort! :)
Cod_Piece-1280x850_zps99a4a6e0.jpg

The last piece of the armor set that I managed to get done (due to the fact that I ran out of card stock) was the right thigh. Oddly enough, the model does not come with any supports, not too much of an issue as I will be constructing my own.
Thigh_1-1280x850_zps595c1643.jpg

I'm not getting into too much detail here
but I do have another "parallel" project that I'm starting on, which will be covered separate from this thread. Before anyone asks, YES it will be a MK 7 from The Avengers (My Favorite Suit of of the Iron Man franchise :) )

Iron_Man_Pep-1280x850_zps2fb07c78.jpg

Iron_Man_Pep2-1280x850_zps6da06d36.jpg

There, now that everyone knows that I am indeed on the move there will be more to come really soon!
Torso progress coming very soon :)
Dave/Cereal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eight.... eight days? You have to be joking, that amount of Pepakura work, to that standard, would have taken me eight weeks, and I pride myself on my work. The speed and standard of workmanship you show even at the basic level is jaw-dropping, and I have to admit that I'm a little envious of your skill.

Also, I do believe there is a supported version of the thigh piece out there somewhere. If I happen to come across it I'll let you know.

Carpathia has the thigh supports link in his build thread. I suppose somebody could get that much pepped in 8 days if they locked themself up in a bunker, didn't go to work, didn't interact with their family, didn't eat or sleep, and made a pact with a dwarf better known for spinning straw into gold but known to assist with pep on occasion....

I suppose somebody could get that much pepped in 8 days if they locked themself up in a bunker, didn't go to work, didn't interact with their family, didn't eat or sleep, and made a pact with a dwarf better known for spinning straw into gold but known to assist with pep on occasion....

Or if they're just that good... There is that option.

Eight.... eight days? You have to be joking, that amount of Pepakura work, to that standard, would have taken me eight weeks, and I pride myself on my work. The speed and standard of workmanship you show even at the basic level is jaw-dropping, and I have to admit that I'm a little envious of your skill.

Also, I do believe there is a supported version of the thigh piece out there somewhere. If I happen to come across it I'll let you know.

Lol, thank you.
Yes there are support files available, however rather than having to do any more pepping (out of card stock anyways) I will just use some reusable supports that I've made.

Carpathia has the thigh supports link in his build thread. I suppose somebody could get that much pepped in 8 days if they locked themself up in a bunker, didn't go to work, didn't interact with their family, didn't eat or sleep, and made a pact with a dwarf better known for spinning straw into gold but known to assist with pep on occasion....

Well... not true.
Pieces like the thigh and cod piece only take me about 4 hours or so to do. Being that the individual pieces are larger and require much less effort to fit they are wrapped up quickly. However that being said, I did the math and have realized that I was in error about the time it took to pep these pieces. It didn't take 8 days to do.
... It took nine.

Or if they're just that good... There is that option.

Anyone can do Anything, as long as time and drive permit!
Never let anyone tell you otherwise :)

I was in error about the time it took to pep these pieces. It didn't take 8 days to do.... It took nine.

Still, that's quite a stretch of time to fit all that in. I believe it's taken me nine days to finish my current helmet build (an ODST helmet file by Hugh Holder), but I tend to take my work very slowly and with an exacting pace, since I pick the work up, do a little, and put it down the moment I feel like it's becoming more of a chore than a hobby.

To each his own, naturally, but nine days for that amount of work, at that level of detail, is astonishing.

I wasn't being serious.

Neither was I ;)
I was just poking fun, sorry if it came across as serious. I lack the physical mechanism which allows for the manifestation of what humans call 'humor'
I think the main reason I pep so quickly is my dislike, neigh my contempt for it. Most of the time I'd rather be doing something else; like having a root canal done with no anesthetic while being read David Copperfield my Kermit the Frog... I digress...

Still, that's quite a stretch of time to fit all that in. I believe it's taken me nine days to finish my current helmet build (an ODST helmet file by Hugh Holder), but I tend to take my work very slowly and with an exacting pace, since I pick the work up, do a little, and put it down the moment I feel like it's becoming more of a chore than a hobby.

To each his own, naturally, but nine days for that amount of work, at that level of detail, is astonishing.

The last thing it should be is a race. Going rather quickly has it's downside, like not realizing you've printed and cut out 2 of the identical piece!
Either way, I do agree that one should know when the limit is reached for a time. Like you said, when it stops feeling like a hobby.

Dave, you are just way too cool (and funny)! ....so, um....what color pants should I wear to make sure the resin cures properly? :D Awesome shirt, too, by the way! Excellent job again.

Very nice, Dave! This is quickly becoming the comprehensive guide to Pepakura-based prop making, and I'm very surprised that this hasn't become a stuck/mandatory reading article already.

Thanks very much for taking the time to run through the smaller details that some of us usually only find out by trial and error, though. It's really good for somebody to take the time to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back