Mjolnir mk VI build (paper mache) pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robco

this is my first attempt so here goes. First the helmet... Ive only used cheap tesco value paper for the pep just to try...
35488_10150805552851694_637663744_n.jpg

After a quick spray coating of a waterproof paint (so it doesnt go soggy) Then i need to strengthen the whole interior of the helm using thick card to prevent warping later on.
576287_10150805553636694_15603527_n.jpg

156504_10150805553271694_1986489442_n.jpg

and heres more detailing using card on the outside.
529784_10150805554151694_846861511_n.jpg

Ill post more when Ive papermached and painted it :)

Looks nice, paper mache is good. Make sure its glue based. I did flour before its strong, but not good for a good finish.

Definitely a different approach to this. I wanna see how this turns out, and please be sure to explain some of the work you've done. others may be open to trying this approach.

I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw the title I wasn't very hopeful. But it looks like you've put some thought into this, I'm with Deranker, I want to see how this goes.

Are you trying to harden the helmet with paper mache by putting it on the inside of the helmet? Or are you trying to use it as a replacement for Bondo? Either way it oughta be interesting, but if you are in fact trying to harden the inside with it, then you may have a bit of difficulty.

I tried it before, and since gravity pulls all the paste down to the center of the helmet where the top of your head would sit, it tends to not dry very well there. Ya know, being on the inside of the helmet and all with all that running downhill. And of course, flour and water that never dries will lead to mold and mildew.

I'm interested to see this. Thought I'd just throw that up as a word of advice in case you are taking that route. Enjoy your build man, you're off to a great start.

What a clean pep model you've got there, I agree with Deranker also, if this turns out great others might even try this as an alternative :)

Hey thanks for the tips and advice everybody :) and Bishorzidi ive done a coating on the outside of the helm in paper mache, well my own version of paper mache any way. i rip up newspaper really small and glue each piece onto the helmet and build it up, that way it doesnt get to soggy and it doesnt tend to travel. anyway i've only done a couple of layers on the helm but it seems pretty strong. if anyone else attempts this then id advise around six layers of paper mache for most of the helm, and only two layers over detailed crevices etc. i've paper mached and painted the helm and erm added lights :D so here are the pics. if anyone has any questions then fire away :)

this is after 3 layers of paper mache and then one base coat of acrylic paint
554144_10150805554436694_987506550_n.jpg

next a thin wash of black acrylic paint and black detailing
546425_10150805554886694_1846390425_n.jpg

to add a worn metal effect ive just used a permanent silver pen, and ive put in four 5mm leds with holders :)
536654_10150805555576694_889270004_n.jpg

(excuse the temp visor :p and ive still got to get the ribbed pipe for the front detailing)
545895_10150805558446694_2021204428_n.jpg

ive started making the left arm in the same fashion but the forearm is quite angular as i made that out of card and so itll need more layers of paper mache hopefully it will work :)

Holy crap on a cracker dude! There is NO way this is papier mache (ATTN: GRAMMAR POLICE, that is spelled correctly!) This is too awesome! I'll be quite honest and say that I was on the same boat as p bro, but this turned out to be an AWESOME build man.. My guess is that in the near future, you are going to have to post some videos to youtube, to explain how you attacked this project.. Other who areattracted to the craft will find this to be very suitable approach to model making... I just have a question though; how sturdy is the whole construct? Seriously I am surprised and highly applaud your work my good man.

Wow. I must say. This is so not what I was expecting. I was totally anticipating a glop job of paper mache like has been seen before but this is actually very well done! I'm impressed! Great job dude! ;)

Hey guys thanks for the compliments and comments :) and sorry for not posting for a while... i havnt given up yet :p home internets down whilst redecorating. any way ive finished pepping left and right arms and about a quarter of the way through the chest and back piece. pictures will be up soon!

DeRanKeR in answer to your question, its sturdy... ive dropped it a few times and its fine :) it can be strenthened even more internally using glued strips of card or more paper mache. the more layers of paper mache the stronger it will be.

sjbax09 i might put the fan in.. it does get pretty warm in the helmet, i got a cheap laptop fan for £1 so i can test it out.

Wonderful! A papier mache build, and it knocks my socks off. :D I recently switched to papier mache of another kind (fluffy white stuff in a bag) and haven't regretted it a moment. You've got some skill to use your method this flawlessly. Must take a ton of patience to add layer after layer...

People often believe mache = lower quality, but the fortunate truth is, you can make unbelievable stuff with it. This is the best non-foam, non-fibreglass helmet I've seen (be gentle, 405th community, I haven't seen everything!), that's for sure.

Nice touch with the silver pen. Looks better'n the silver acrylic I've been trying--I'm getting one of those asap.

Hey everyone :) finally finished pepping the chest, both shoulders, left forearm and most of a handplate in 140 gsm card... so time consuming to pep that chest! the rest of the armour will seem real easy now haha.

erayachi

Wonderful! A papier mache build, and it knocks my socks off. I recently switched to papier mache of another kind (fluffy white stuff in a bag) and haven't regretted it a moment. You've got some skill to use your method this flawlessly. Must take a ton of patience to add layer after layer...

People often believe mache = lower quality, but the fortunate truth is, you can make unbelievable stuff with it. This is the best non-foam, non-fibreglass helmet I've seen (be gentle, 405th community, I haven't seen everything!), that's for sure.

Nice touch with the silver pen. Looks better'n the silver acrylic I've been trying--I'm getting one of those asap.

Thanks erayachi :) and yes it does take a lot of patience... cant wait to start paper macheing the chest :S haha. do you use paper clay? i might have to try it out some time... you can sand it to make it smooth, right?

okay heres the chest/back piece... finally :D ive already cut it into two sections so to test its size, its a close fit so im happy not having to do it again hahaha
581452_10150887910306694_2059553461_n.jpg

..and heres everything so far :)
150795_10150887909491694_1681224714_n.jpg

wont be posting new progress too often at the moment as i only have till june to finish all my assignments at college and there still giving us more to do, but ill still be happy to answer questions etc :)

So amazing! Your latest pic also proves your pepping skills outweigh mine. What are you going to seal it with (and hold it together) once the paper and paint is done? I imagine all those layers of paper strips may end up peeling off if it flexes too much or gets wet.

Also yes, you can sand paper clay down as smooth as you'd like. I can get expensive though; that's why I switched. The stuff I'm using is shredded paper fiber (also called paper mache in craft stores) that you mix with water and turn into a thick paste that can be smoothed on in thick coats. It also can be sanded down to a perfectly smooth finish when dry. It's requires more labour than the clay, but it's more bang for the buck.

Edit: I'm adding this link here to show you what I mean about my kind of paper mache. I have a small box of it and a little goes a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Claycrete-Paper-Mache-5-Pound/dp/B0017D1NAA/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1336162704&sr=1-3-spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back